Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My #11 Matriarch: Kaylee, a Magezon shooting Valkyrie's MB of Alacrity @ 8fps

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Greebo, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Greebo

Greebo IncGamers Member

My #11 Matriarch: Kaylee, a Magezon shooting Valkyrie's MB of Alacrity @ 8fps

The real star of this thread is the bow:

Code:
    Valkyrie's Matriarchal Bow of Alacrity
    'ShaelShael'
    Two-Hand Damage: 20 to 47
    (Amazon Only)
    Required Dexterity: 187
    Required Strength: 87
    Required Level: 42
    Bow Class - Fastest Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: **
    Fingerprint: 0xf3044bb0
    [highlight]+2 to Amazon Skill Levels
    60% Increased Attack Speed
    +3 to Bow and Crossbow Skills (Amazon Only)[/highlight]
    Socketed (2: 2 used)

It shoots at 8 frames / arrow with just 15% extra IAS (which I got from gloves), leaving a lot of equipment completely open to plenty of +Skills.

The name: I like Whedon, and she is named after the very pretty and very smart mechanic from Firefly.

The Design:
    Take Tracy, make her more powerful:
    - 8k Attach Rating (6k for my previous magezon)
    - 100% Pierce (71% for Tracy)
    - Skill level 42 for FA/EA (33 for Tracy)
    - 8-frame attack (instead of 9-frame attack)

Higher CtH and CtP (Chance to Hit and Chance to Pierce) are essential for making the Elemental bow skills shine. The more monsters, and the tighter they are packed, the better those skills work. It happens often that an arrow will hit monster #1, damaging monsters 1,2,3; pierce, hit monster #2, damage monsters 1,2,3, pierce, hit monster #3, damage all 3 monsters again, by now killing them all.

Kaylee, Level 83 Amazon

Code:
    Str 103/123
    Dex 141/201  [more than needed for req, to pump up AR]
    Vit 251/256
    Ene  15/ 20

Life 1,983
    Mana   484
    (after Battle Orders)

Resistances: 74/32/75/32

LCS highlights:
      Freezing Arrow:  3,382-3,473 (freezes for 1.0 second in Hell)
      Exploding Arrow: 1,783-2,072
      ----
      REAL Attack Rating: 8.0k   (disregarding bogus bonuses)
      Chance to Pierce:   100%
      80% IAS   [8-frame attack (75% breakpoint)]
      ----
      32% Faster Hit Recovery [7 frames]

Skills:
    Freezing Arrow 20 (42) + Synergy 20
    Exploding Arrow 20 (42) + Synergy 20
    Decoy 6 (16)
    Pierce 1 (11)
    Penetrate is useless with Blessed Aim moron

Gear:
    Bow: Valkyrie's Matriarchal Bow of Alacrity 'ShaelShael'
    Switch: beta-'CtA' + Lidless Wall
    Cube: Demon Limb 'Hel'
    -----
    Helm: Nightwing's Veil + Facet (+20%/-4% total)
    Armor: 'Chains of Honor' Archon Plate
    Belt: Razortail (for 100% pierce)
    Gloves: Archer's Gauntlets of Alacrity
    Boots: Rare (30FRW / 10FHR / 33 FireRes / 32 LightRes)
    -----
    Amulet: Mara's Kaleidoscope (29 ResAll)
    Rings: SoJ & 20/242 Ravenfrost
    -----
    Charms: 6x Bow Skiller (1x 12 FHR, 1x 27 Life, 4x Plain)
    2x Shimmering SC of (cold_damage), 1x Amber SC of Balance, 1x Ruby SC of Balance, 1x 16-Mana SC of Good Luck

Moron
    Act 2 Blessed Aim (necessary for piercing)
    'Insight' eth 1.07 Thresher
    'Fortitude' AP
    Vamp Gaze 'Um' 20% PDR

Overall:
    Fun: 10/10
    Difficulty: 7/10
    Future: Retirement

--------------

The Journey
    Kaylee started off with the usual Superior Great Maul filled with ED/Freedom jewels and got to a synergized 1.09 Ravenclaw at Level 15. Things took off from there and that's how she reached Level 42.

That's when things got interesting, since I decided to equip my bow right then and there. 187 Dex + 87 Str = 274 points needed, minus (15+25) free at the start, means 234 stat points to equip the bow. That is actually impossible without some gear, and I had zero points spent in vitality. Which meant I started into NM with around 150 Life.

Now THAT was a different experience. She was a glass cannon, to the full extend of the possible meaning of this statement. Everything died to FA from one shot, sometimes 2 for bosses and champions, but quite a few things killed her in 1-2 hits too. She certainly kept me on my toes. Of course as I progressed she got way way safer quite quickly, but still: the experience is quite fondly imprinted in my long term memory.

She completed her gear at Level 67. For most of the game (Act 1 NM - Act 3 Hell) I used different gloves (20 IAS / +2 Bow / +33 Mana) only switching to Archer's Gauntlets of Alacrity once I reached A4 Hell. The extra Mana from the gloves was actually very neeeded.

This character in general suffers from Mana shortage more than any other I played, ever. That's with Insight, too. She is the only one for whom I switched Mana Pots from position 4 in the belt to position 1. She was going through 10-15 of them per area, which is impressive with 500 Mana and Insight on the moron. I guess I could have invested in a 1.07 haxxx MPK ring, it'd help a bit.

Still, she needs like 16 blue pots to kill Hell Baal, and that's if I manage to stay away from the mana-burn flame thing.

----

Some screenies:
    - An awesome bridge I encountered in NM. Never seen one like that before.
    - FA is awesome in the Maggots
    - Exploding Arrow for the win
    - Gul at Hell HF
    - Fighting the Ancients
    - very very annoying mods on Lister; 1-pt magic arrow in action
    - but usually he is a joke

Musings
    7-frame magezon is on my list of things to do. I'm pretty sure she'll need even more blue pots. This will be interesting.

This was definitely one of the more fun characters I've ever played.

If I am to compare her to Tracy, my M'avina's Magezon, I'd say the set-magezon is much safer and much weaker than Kaylee. This one suffered from more deaths and way more NDEs.

On the other hand Kaylee handles /p3 without any problem, and can reasonably handle /p7 WSK (but that gets tiring since she needs to drink a lot of blue pots). Playing her keeps me on my toes though.

Blessed Aim moron + Demon Limb + 200 Dex = enough to hit and pierce.

That's about it, thanks for reading!

--Greebo

2. Fyourics

Fyourics IncGamers Member

Re: My #11 Matriarch: Kaylee, a Magezon shooting Valkyrie's MB of Alacrity @ 8fps

Godleh bow. Seriously.
    Also, since I have never played an bowazon, how much AR does one really need? Doesn't the elemental part auto-hit?
    Grats on the character, btw.

3. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

Re: My #11 Matriarch: Kaylee, a Magezon shooting Valkyrie's MB of Alacrity @ 8fps

I'd craft some gloves with Knockback... pretty cheap recipe and can get +2 skill/IAS/Knockback with reasonable ease.

4. DeathAndDecay

DeathAndDecay IncGamers Member

Wow... That bow... :shocked: ...and I'm excited to see 7-frames magezon in the future.

5. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

Grats on the Mat. How exactly does one acquire such a lovely bow?

6. Greebo

Greebo IncGamers Member

On the first monster, yes, auto-hit. Then, in order to pierce, the physical part has to hit. Once the physical part hits and pierces, only then can the arrow hit the next target (and if it's standing close enough, the elemental damage will hit the first monster as well).

I thought about it, but it's really really not necessary for this build. Cold Immune monsters (which are the only ones I could possibly want to Knock away) are usually either (a) ranged (Gloams, OKs), so KB isn't as useful or (b) not that dangerous.

The few types that fall into neither of these two categories were rare and didn't cause trouble. That's what decoys are for. I really wanted to hit 2k EA damage, and the Archer's Gloves make a difference here...

Thanks.

Pick up every single MB in area levels > 79, keep it and spend (in my case) 600 PGems rolling it. Then pray for Larzuk being a good guy. I probably got lucky, although I was aiming for +6/60 bow, and settled for that one.

--Greebo

7. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Very nice character, and a good read too.

8. roshen

roshen IncGamers Member

Nice write up, that is one cool amazon, if you don't mind the pun. And that is one hell of a bow.

I enjoyed running with Kaylee in the WSK. Grats on the mat! :thumbup:

9. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Congrats on the mat! That's a very stylish bow. Me likey. :)

I was comparing numbers between Tracy and Kaylee, and it seems you did a fantastic job with this set up.

10. VoX Dei

VoX Dei IncGamers Member

Firefly was pretty cool and so is Kaylee, her bow, and the write-up. Grats :thumbsup: