Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Must not be understanding Magic Finding

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by bosoxx, Sep 24, 2006.

1. bosoxx

bosoxx IncGamers Member

Must not be understanding Magic Finding

Hello!
    I'm a newbie to this forum but not to Diablo II. Been playing off and on for years. After a 9 month break i decided to come back and make a MF Assassin for fun. I caller her my "Thugassin". She's currently level 90 and built on: STR/MF/Shadow Master/Death Sentry. At last count she had about 301% total MF.

Here's the problem. In the general scheme of things i'm an idiot when it comes to character builds. 100's of players have laughed at me in-game and in-chat telling me that i couldn't build a MF character if they told me how. I guess i have to accept that because she really doesn't find a heck of a lot of anything. I can get her through most hell Acts fairly well. She can do Countess, Pit, Andy, and many other early level runs ok. Her trouble starts in Council and above. Even with an ** Hireling, she gets eaten alive. In Act III and above pretty consistently. Diablo and Baal runs aren't even an option. Today i took her on an Act V run against Eldriech (sp)? and the other boss near the FH. She did fine. Pindle is a different story. The skellies converged on me faster than we could kill them.

Before i start babbling out of control. Am i missing the big picture here? Is 301% MF really any better than 100%? In a total of about 200 Hell runs i've made over the last month the only uniques i've found was Arkaine's Valor and Bonesnap. But i read post after post about people finding Goldwraps, Ali Babba, Chance Guards..etc...etc.. How much of finding the good gear is really all luck and not just knowing where to hunt?
    Can anyone shed some light on this for me before i spend another 2 months of frustration picking up useless yellow rare yardtrash. Ideas, tips, suggestions..anything would be greatly appreciated.

Best and good gaming!
    CookiePoop
    90 ThugAssin US East

2. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

If you want MF, then try this:

- Create blizz sorc, only put points in blizzard and its synergies, and a little cold mastery. (get 1 point in teleport and warmth, tho)
    - Get rushed/play as good as you can to act 3 hell council.
    - DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE KILL MEPH!
    - Proceed to do meph runs in public baal games (or private, works just as well) but always check that the quest log says "you cannot complete in this game" about the last quest in act 3.
    - If you can't complete the quest, kill mephisto (using moat trick, so he can't hit you).
    - If you CAN complete the quest, find another game.

This causes mephisto to only drop rares, sets and uniques. The only things that drop magic are failed sets (items that don't have a set version) and SCs / LCs. With 200%MF you are about guaranteed good drops.

But you can never go past mephisto, else he starts dropping gold, arrows, magic items, potions etc etc.

3. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

It sound like your build is so slow at killing that you're just not getting many drops period. You use your merc and shadow to get kills and then DS for the corpse explosion? With 300%mf on? I'm guessing that's awfully slow.
    Make a character that can kill things faster, or even teleport, to increase your drops.

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I suggest to put a point into static field and frozen armor as well.

You will need the mentioned sorc for Meph only. She will also be good in the Ancient Tunnels, another L85 area below the Forgotten City, and versus Pindle, as long as he isn't cold immune. If your assassin is good enough for the Pits, that's all you need. 300% MF sounds like a good number for MF, so you don't have to load up more than that, in particular if your killing speed suffers.

Edit: If you want to go for Meph quest drops with that sorc, Pindle won't be an option, of course...

5. Klæmint Vágadal

Klæmint Vágadal IncGamers Member

Helvete: That was a good idea for Meph runs, daum! Now why did I not think of that:rolleyes: But that way you have to stay a long time in NM to get a decent clvl, anyways, great idea.

6. ael

ael IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forums! :wave:

Imo trapsins do well in mf, altho you need some nice gear to be effective. Try nerfing down your mf to 200-250 and improve your dmg/killing speed. Usualy mf above 250 is an overshoot. I would even consider rebuilding your sin to a pure lightning trap one or a meteorb, but from what I can tell, you should go with the trapsin as you already have the gear. If you have some income and you can afford occy and stuff like that, I would suggest a meteorb sorc. A lvl 80 sorc/sin should do, if you are too bored to lvl up to 90. Either way, try following a guide in the sorc/sin forum, those should explain stuff in more detail, what gear/skills to use for which purpose, cheap/expensive gear etc. Good luck! :wink:

7. bosoxx

bosoxx IncGamers Member

Thanks for the tips

Helvete:

- If you can't complete the quest, kill mephisto (using moat trick, so he can't hit you).

What's the moat trick?

8. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

You will use the moat between the area where mephisto stands, and the area where you usually find council members/ghoul lords (or whatever they are called). You stand on one side, meph on the other. Doing this, you won't get him right next to you, which most sorcs aren't too keen to get.
    A forum search on "moat trick" should give you all info you'll ever need.

9. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

I don't get this. As far as I understand, quest drops happen when you kill the boss in a game created by someone needing the quest. A typical way of getting quest drop repeatedly is to use one char that hasn't done the quest to create the game, then switch to another char to kill the quest boss, whether the second char has completed the quest or not doesn't matter. As long as the first char doesn't get the quest, s/he can continue to create new games that give quest drop. In your suggestion, if you enter a game that says you can't complete the quest, the creator of the game has done the quest already, so you'll just get normal drop from meph, not quest drop.

10. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Bolded part is wrong, all wrong. If your char doesn't have the quest done, then that char WILL get a quest drop from killing that act boss (works in all acts) completing quest, or not. Completing quest prevents this from being done over and over again. Believe me, I have tested it.

You understand wrong, it seems. Try to do the thing you mention a few times with mephisto, and watch him drop gold/junk and magic items with normal durability. It works completely the other way around.

11. bosoxx

bosoxx IncGamers Member

Helvete...

Took your advice and started a Blizz/Sorc. Currently she's level 22. I was able to get a rush through Normal and Nightmare, but i'm too low for Ancients (need to be 40). I don't see any decent runs on the board at all. An occasional Chaos run, but not much else. I need to make up 18 levels so what's the best way?

Thanks!
    -Bo

p.s. this is my first time playing a Sorc of any kind. Teleport is odd getting used to. Any tips for a first time user? First few times i used it a TP'd right into a Venom Lord and became dead fast. I only put one point into it.

12. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Banned

Point before you click. Click to the open space in front of your target so you can attack them easily. Then teleport to a different open space.

At level 22 you could still be doing norm baal runs and getting decent experience. Try making norm baal games.

13. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

You cannot get exp from baal runs till 25, run cows or tombs till then.

14. NoobXDon

NoobXDon IncGamers Member

tele tips
    -always tele to a location that you see is clear
    -the above usually indicates a shorter tele distance, dont try to clear the screen until you are more accustomed to your sorc
    -alot of new sorcs do not use their left click, use glacial spike as your left click and tele and blizz on right click. if a big pack of monsters happen to be in the way, glacial will freeze solid non super uniques and you will be free to kill with blizz or tele on.
    -use static! again another newbie sorc mistake is that they never use a skill that shortens your run by about 50%. you will double your run speed by using static.
    -insight merc is a must.

good luck to you and your sorc, they are tons of fun.

15. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

This leveling thing is a little hard. You need lvl 25 for the game not to care what monsters you get the exp from (thus getting insane exp from high level monsters) and the fastest way is to make a normal game "I open COWZ" or something, get the leg, and then open the cow level when you have 7 more people in your game. If you're lucky, the character who kills the king will have done it before, and you can do this over again.

If that doesn't work, try creating toomb run games.

Teleport is hard getting used to, but it's even harder to getting used to not having it (little enigma joke, you don't have to laugh). One point is enough, as more point will only decrease its mana cost. Items with faster cast rate will help teleport speed. Luckily, items with skills or mana regen usually have a little fast cast rate (FCR).

FCR will do nothing for blizzard, but it will allow you to cast Glacial Spike and teleport faster. Faster tele = less time in each location = less getting hit.

I am making another one of these myself on europe ladder (screwed up the last one, killed meph carelessly in the wrong game :cry: ) but I guess my resources are less limited than yours.

BTW using static is a good idea, but not on meph (dangerous when using full MF equip).
    Also, once you get to lvl 25, try for NM cows until 40, then ancients and baal. NM cows might be better than baals way past 50 if you find good runs, and by this lvl you will actually be able to kill them with decent speed.

16. ael

ael IncGamers Member

1-15 tristrunz
    15-20 tombz
    20-24 cowz
    24-25 ancients
    25-40 norm baalz,rush/ancients, 41-60 baalz, rush/ancients, baalz up to the point when you are sick of it. This is the fastest way to lvl. Btw if you are on Europe I can help ya with rushes and that sorta thing.

17. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

He's not supposed to go past act 3 Hell, that's why I didn't just recommend grush from the start. But getting lvl 75 from NM baal isn't hard, and by that time you should be running meph for qdrops anyway.

18. bosoxx

bosoxx IncGamers Member

Maybe a stupid question..but?

Helvete..

i just got the Blizz/Sorc to level 24 and Blizzard isn't hightlighted? Isn't it a level 24 spell?

am i missing something?

Thanks!

19. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Are the prerequisites met?

20. bosoxx

bosoxx IncGamers Member

Ugh...

Do i need the lead spells before Blizzard to put points in it?