Music in Other Languages

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member
Music in Other Languages

As a few of you know, I am an avid dancer, especially International Style Latin.

After I saw Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights and downloaded the soundtrack (don't bother chiding me about this, I know it's less than right already), I started thinking. The music is great, and I already listen to a lot of Latin music anyways. Most of the time, the lyrics are in another language.

However, this doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the music as a whole. Do any of you have opinions on this?

Hey as long as you like it who cares if you can't understand it. Maybe an incentitive to learn Latin?

I personally like Mexican rap. its so awesome!

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
I love Opera

so theres that

also listen to Tito and Celia Cruz and tons more latin music, mostly out of Cuba

and there's always Rammstein on the other end of the spectrum

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member
Canadia142 said:
Hey as long as you like it who cares if you can't understand it. Maybe an incentitive to learn Latin?

I personally like Mexican rap. its so awesome!
Latin as in Spanish :p

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
I like the Buena Vista Social Club stuff a lot and my Spanish is only good enough to order chile relleno at the tacqueria near my folks' house.

Savage

Diabloii.Net Member
I can't really listen to music when it's in another language. I like the sound of some of the foreign of the bands that I've heard, but when I can't understand the words I lose interest.

Drosselmeier

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah... I do it all the time as a matter of fact ;)

I don´t have any major problems with music in a language I can´t understand. If it´s a really good song it doesn´t matter that much. Sometimes it even motivates me to try to figure out what they´re singing about and that way you can even learn something from it. I know and understand the lyrics to 99 luftballons for example, and the french part of the Partisan Song.

Choogy

Diabloii.Net Member
Would that include Rammstein? (cause im not german) I like a few of their songs...

There's this awesome song I like i needa find called Kyrie, by Glenn McClure (from St. Francis in the America's)...I believe it's in Latin latin (the language)...the girls all state choir sang it and i was an accompaniest. Cool shiznit...

Steve_Kow

Banned
I am partial to songs that tell a story, or have some sort of message (Jim Croce, Simon and Garfunkel, among others) since I value that more than the rhythm or the melody, I'd have to say that I don't enjoy music that's in a language I can't understand.

Although I speak all languages, so its really a moot point anyway.

PublicEnemy

Diabloii.Net Member
DurfBarian said:
I like the Buena Vista Social Club stuff a lot and my Spanish is only good enough to order chile relleno at the tacqueria near my folks' house.
I was almost :sleep: while watching buena vista in the theatre :yawn:

Ezcabe

Diabloii.Net Member
Sigur Ros from Iceland has beautiful music.(IMO) I cannot understand it, and sometimes they do not sing real words, but other than that I love it. It is absolutley amazing music.