Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Multishot vs Strafe

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by warriorrk, Apr 1, 2006.

1. dthseeker

dthseeker Diabloii.Net Member

Use Multi in open areas, when enemies are clumped together

Use Strafe in closed areas, or when enemies are seperated

When you are surrounded, run away until you can recast valk or get something in front of the things attacking you, if you think you can tank than Multi in circles around you

My experience playing with a zon that has access to both.

20 points into strafe, 1 is enough for Multi (+skills puts it at a nice level, and maxing would kill mana).

2. DEA

DEA Diabloii.Net Member

you really want 24 ms after skills
    more than that is just a waste because you don't get more arrows but the mana cost increases

3. Darkflight

Darkflight Diabloii.Net Member

A little high methinks. Level 10-15 Multishot is enough IMO. Rarely will you have enough monsters to justify a level 24 Multishot.

4. bealter

bealter Diabloii.Net Member

Multishot vs. Strafe

It sounds easy to say this, but in this case I think I have good reason for it. It all depends on the situtation. My Amazon (due to items that give +skills) has level 16 strafe and level 19 multishot. What is "neat" here is that multishot's weakness is strafe's strength and visa versa. The pro to multishot is you can shoot and run. A large spray of arrows is especially good when backpetaling a large group of enemies. However, a lot of arrows are just wasted. Strafe takes care of that. However, if the time comes to run away, strafe can get you killed since you stand in one spot for a few moments to fire at each target. I personally use a mixture of both. I have found that a end up using multishot more, however strafe does come in handy. Most characters have a lot of + skills equipment, so if you want a mix, only a couple points in each goes a long way. Hell, my Amazon is level 89 and has 16 unused skill points and I have plently in multishot and strafe. My advice, use both. I hope this helps.

5. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

6. DEA

DEA Diabloii.Net Member

oh hey, it's been so long since i saw this thread
    anywayyys
    the 24 arrows isn't just to hit 24 monsters
    it's to allow you a good wide spread of arrows while maintaining arrow density so as to ensure that you DO hit the monsters that are there instead of leaving empty spaces where they can avoid your ms

7. Punkonjunk

Punkonjunk Diabloii.Net Member

Alright, well, I made a pit runner, and instead of wasting an incredible ammount of points into the diminishing passives, I maxed strafe/ 15 points in multishot.

Multishot sucks. I do not think it is as effective as strafe for PvM, even IN a wide open area. Maybe I haven't done enough testing, but so far, anywhere I've been strafe-move-strafe has worked, and I don't have a merc yet. MS doesn't match the killing speed of strafe. *shrug*

After my testing, I wish I hadn't invested in MS, because I don't feel it to be exceedingly effective.

8. Painman

Painman Diabloii.Net Member

It's completely situational. I tend to prefer Strafe because it's more interesting tactically to me, ie. rounding up/lining up monsters so that my points in Pierce earn their pay, using choke points, etc.

OTOH, there are a few places where a good multi spray has no substitute. The walkway to the CS. The Pit's basement. There aren't that many, but they're there.

9. Hyphy

Hyphy Diabloii.Net Member

Only Stafe when you know enemy has slow FBR or, you have Amp% on , like atma or 08 Sarcens.

10. xGooses

xGooses Diabloii.Net Member

I haven't played in a long time, but I have been reading up on Amazon skills recently, and from what I can tell, Multi is still better than Strafe, just because once you get really high up there and you've got an amazing bow, spewing out those waves and waves of arrows just rapes mobs.

In my opinion, a major disadvantage of strafe is how it glues you to the spot while firing. Keep that in mind as well.

11. Punkonjunk

I have minimal IAS, and I fire off strafe very, very quickly. However, multi is very slow, and eats up mana much faster than I leach it.
    I'm using an amn'd windforce. It's killing power seems to be pretty good vs faith.
    I think that strafe requires a bit more strategy, but I have an MF build rather than an IAS build. Being glued to the spot isn't much of a threat with valk, merc, and decoy.

12. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Here, here! This is why I never play a multi-zon. So what if strafe glues you to the spot. Play carefully and you will be just fine. Don't start a strafe volley with some lumbering critter in your face. Run away, find a safe spot, then strafe them all to death. There's nothing wrong with a temporary retreat.

13. RRRyaNNN

RRRyaNNN Diabloii.Net Member

k listen, none of you are making sense. strafe is garbage... multi shot is what you want to go with. it doesnt matter what people say and it doesnt matter about damage im serious. ive had both and multi just always turns out better

14. superdave

superdave Diabloii.Net Member

well you just convinced me. :rolleyes:

15. Fareek

Fareek Diabloii.Net Member

Been awhile since i played a zon, what was the skill we used back in .09 with WF ?

16. Punkonjunk

Uh, GA, I think, with that pierce glitch thing.

17. psych

psych Diabloii.Net Member

Yes and multishot in the cow level :)

18. KOMARAC

KOMARAC Diabloii.Net Member

well i think that you must use both skillz to be effective. i have 19 points in multi and 20 in strafe. i use multi when there are MORE than 11 monsters on screen, and strafe when there are less than 10 of them because strafe hits max 10 targets. but if i had to choose one skill , multi > strafe.

19. kykle

kykle Diabloii.Net Member

strafe is far better against small groups of monsters or bosses - 10 arrows in a row with no space between them with some cb is hard to survive

20. The Cow King

The Cow King Banned

I used to be a real strafe till the end kind of guy, until I actually went with multishot and high damage bow. Now I will never go back. I had maxed strafe and lvl 10 multishot, and I found out I was using multi over 90% of the time. It's just faster.

Great control, mobility, looks... it has everything. I was also worried about the mana but it was never ever a problem.