Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Multishot vs Strafe

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by warriorrk, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Robobaby

Robobaby Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Multishot vs Strafe

Multishot completely maxes out at lvl 23. If you go higher than 23 I think the mana cost increases but the number of arrows remains at 24 so I guess it technically gets worse beyond that point.

Assuming that you are using a 3/2 Faith bow and you have an Amazon Torch + Anni thats +9 to bow and crossbow skills right there meaning that you never want to put more than 14 points into Multishot to get the maximum benefit.

Even a small amount of Mana Leech will negate the cost of spamming Multishot at 7fpa. I have only 5% mana leech from a rare ring and I can spam it pretty much forever so long as I'm hitting something. You can always use a Manald Heal ring for up to 7% Mana Leech if you have to use a temp.

Assuming you are using a 3/2 Faith and have an Amazon Torch + Anni then Strafe is in my humble opinion a 1 point wonder. Unlike Multishot, Strafe always improves the more points you put into it but I feel that +5% dmg per point doesn't really cut it. You only need an absolute total 6 points to hit the maximum number of targets (10) and get +30% damage. At level 30 you get 10 targets and 150% damage. 20 points isn't worth it for me for the following reasons:

1) Against many spread out targets, Multishot is usually more effective. Strafe will cycle through all targets meaning your damage output against individual targets is poor and you will slowly whittle down a large number of enemies when I prefer to quickly kill smaller numbers of targetted enemies and stay mobile. With Multishot you can adjust the spread and it does a surprising amount of damage provided you can absorb the cost of spamming it.

2) Strafe is excellent against single targets where it becomes a gattling gun. It is also effective against larger mobs provided they are bunched up (like in a narrow corrider). The rate of fire is so high you can continually keep them backed up against a wall with knockback and its a great way to push away an enemy that is getting too close.

3) Having both skills in your arsenal is a good idea as both are good in different circumstances. However, I would put between 10 and 14 hard points into Multishot and aim to get it up to level 23 with +skills for the 24 arrow spread.

I would put 1 hard point into Strafe and aim to get it to at least level 6 where you can hit 10 targets and use it like a sorc to TK spam things away from you and mow down single stray targets quickly.

I still use GA on a number of bosses. Damage is good and it always hits + you can guarantee off screen kills. Diablo doesn't even get a shot off.

GA is also the only bowskill that matters in PvP if you intend to use your character to PvP. Strafe has small use against minion stackers but only 1 hard point is necessary to get good use out of it.

Multishot has some small uses in some PvP where you want to force your opponent into making more predictable movements (which makes GA easier to aim) but it is too expensive to use as an all out attack skill. You will use it less than you think you should. 14 points is the absolute tops.

If you are a Procazon its no contest - you will be Strafing alot more than Multishotting because every arrow in a Strafe sequence can carry a proc. Again you never ever need to max Strafe out, even as a Procazon because you will do far far more damage than you can see on your character sheet and the damage from procs will be alot greater than the damage increase you get from investing another 19 hard points into the skill.

In fact my Bowa has 20 points in Strafe and I regard it as an essential skill in PvM along with Multishot but 20 points is too much. I want to reroll and have 1 point in Strafe and distribute the other 19 into Dodges.

2. doublesolo

doublesolo Diabloii.Net Member

if i use strafe with a bow containing special effect, such as Blood Raven's Charge, Widowmaker. can every arrow takes effect? explosive arrow or magic arrow.
    ms definitely doesn't work, i know.

3. DudSpud

DudSpud Diabloii.Net Member

No. Any arrow tree skill you use negates the arrow skill granted by the bow as it's "normal" attack. So if you use strafe with a Widowmaker, it will not strafe with lvl 11 Magic Arrows.

Sorry,
    DudSpud

4. stillman

stillman Diabloii.Net Member

For all you knockback advocates, I don't see why kb is such a necessity late in the game once you're doing high damage (this is a common reason people pick strafe over multishot--the kb).

First, monsters can't reach you if they're dead. Multishot hits everything on the screen, and with good enough damage, it's all dead before it reaches you.

Secondly, most of the enemies are in virtual stunlock with enough IAS (and who doesn't have lots of IAS?). By the time the enemies manage to inch their way close to you, they die in the attempt under a hail of ms arrows. Getting hit with an arrow often stops a monster in its tracks, then it resumes, then it gets hit and stops again. This is similar enough to kb imo.

Thirdly, what is wrong with just retreating a little bit? It's the easiest strategy in the world. If monsters get too close, move away from the mosnters, lol. Then shoot them again. Wtih multi, there is no strafe lock so kb isn't really needed for every last monster anyway.

I figgure it's the end game that counts. This is where you're grinding away and spending 90% or more of your playing time. In the end, multishot beats strafe imo. The ms arrows hit everything...3 times per second or w/e. Strafe does not hit everything; if there are too many mosnters, some of them will be skipped by strafe arrows.

5. NASE

NASE Diabloii.Net Member

You first need to do high damage. Not all people run around with faith. Consider just using windforce without faith and possibly as a second attack - hybrid.
    Then strafe is a very appealing skills

But what if the monsters are coming from two sides? Or what if there are just 2 monsters?

Life is all about combination. Extremists are almost never right. This goes here too, certainly for bowazon who have points to spare anyway.

6. Cormac McArt

Cormac McArt Diabloii.Net Member

Multiple shot here!
    And why everybody talks of PvM and not of PvP?
    In PvP in Public Duels/TvTs you may get easily jumped up when in Strafe-lock!...
    And if Hybridzon - when a monster is ItP she can deal with it using Lightning Fury/Charged Strike ! >=D<

7. NASE

NASE Diabloii.Net Member

Because there isn't anything to debate about in pvp. Strafe sucks, only noob smiters will get owned by strafe - and even then, one points is more then enough.

8. rCt Arbitur

rCt Arbitur Diabloii.Net Member

Well, its all up to your taste, Multishot is SO much cooler and fun but costs alot of mana and is 3/4 weapon damage..

Strafe is a fast, hard-hitting auto aim skill that just requires you to beat the right-click button to kill a pack, not fun.

I'd go with Multi cause its cooler, strafe MIGHT be better but its boring.

9. Cormac McArt

Cormac McArt Diabloii.Net Member

As far as I remember Strafe also had some Damage penalty or something though I can't verify it because "The Arreat Summit" is currently inaccessible! ...

10. NASE

NASE Diabloii.Net Member

Strafe has the some damage modifier of 3/4 yet at the same time, it offers some ed. However, the added ed is nowhere near cancelling out the 3/4 damage.

11. KremBanan

KremBanan Diabloii.Net Member

Thats my wish for the new patch. Remove the -25% damage for Multishot and Strafe + piercing Guided Arrow for PvM...

12. Mav451

Mav451 Diabloii.Net Member

Haha I dunno, that'd be quite a buff to return to the old days. I still remember the night the bow bug was fixed...zons were on god mode. It got boring b/c it was too easy. There was no need for the "Fest" channel anymore lol.

I'd just settle for removing the Next Delay nonsense or at the very least fixing /2.

*PS: Pigs will fly before either happens though.

13. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

I would agree about pigs flying. The only realistic thing I think we can hope for is the pierce for Guided. That would be wonderful and I would settle for that. I can take no /2 and I can also handle the - 25% to damage on strafe and multi. I really want Guided back. Kind of be nice to be able to use all those godly spears I find too. Fend? Where are you?

14. Snozberry

Snozberry Diabloii.Net Member

I'd concede I'm certainly not the best Diablo player, but I personally love MS much more than Strafe.

I understand the point that MS only adds your attributes like Freezing,Poison, etc to the middle 2 arrows, but it seems they generally spread out and pierce enough to stop more enemies and stop them faster than Strafe.

I guess that's the general reason I prefer MS, I've always found it to be faster and cover more ground. In the same vein though, I am using a Buriza, which I get is better with MS anyway. But even before I got my Buriza, I always seemed to like MS better.

15. sonicduck

sonicduck Diabloii.Net Member

I like to use Strafe instead of MultiShot for the majority of my playing time. MultiShot would be good for, say, the cow level. But Strafe works wonders for me almost everywhere, especially when the targets are spread out, insta aim xD. I use it to make sure the area is completely clear, as it auto targets, before moving on. You can even hit the same target twice for double damage (or even moar)! Sure there's strafe lock, but if you watch where you are and think before you strafe things will be A-OK. :D

16. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

In another forum (probably known to the more expirienced players, but I don't know if it's allowed to link there, so I won't) I found information that the x/2 strafe speeds doesn't exist server side(!)

This would mean that while your client shows a 2 frame strafe, you're actually strafing at 3 frames.

How well known is this info on these forums?

(because in the light of that info, multi looks a LOT better damage-wise)

17. MarShenk

MarShenk Diabloii.Net Member

Removing the strafe penality would be awesome, but I dont really understand why you would want to have pierce in pvm again... I thought ga isnt good in pvm apart from on bosses?

18. NASE

NASE Diabloii.Net Member

We are aware of the problem. The links to the amazonbasin have even been posted. They might be in the stickies, might not.

Problem is that not all guides are updated. The stickies with the breakpoints mentioned it as bugged but I'm not sure it links to a complete explanations.

P.S. You know what is funny. Strafe has only become better. now we know not to focus on ias, making it even more powerful.

19. KremBanan

KremBanan Diabloii.Net Member

We know ;)

But it makes Strafe better.

20. Dogbert

Dogbert Diabloii.Net Member

I just want them to fix the torch bug. I'd be happy if that is fixed because right now it's just sitting my stash doing nothing.