Multiple Events tournament - progress thread

Horobi

Diabloii.Net Member
I know I haven't made an update for this tourney in ages and I'm afraid I'll have to withdraw now.

As I said in the Ear Cutting Olympics Thread. Due to computer trouble I had to reïnstall windows wich proved fatal for my personal files. So all my characters and items are gone, including my MA sin for this tournament.

So, I'll withdraw my character now and wish everyone still in good luck...

Cassandra

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm back from vacation and ready to spend some time playing D2 again. I had planned to finish the Arcane Sanctuary last night, but spend the evening asleep on the sofa in the kid's room instead (there's got to be a way to make her fall asleep before I do ...). Nothing noteworthy happened when I did get to play a couple of hours on Monday, except that I found a total of 10 runes in the Maggot Lair, Snake Temple and surrounding areas, all of them El, Eld or Tir, so I could equip my barbarian with a total of four steel weapons if that would be any more helpful than his Knell Striker.

Is anybody still playing actively that is not at least a whole difficulty ahead of me? I've still got fun playing this character, but reading this thread after being away for a couple of weeks I feel kind of lonely on the low end of difficulty (although it does fit my playing time and lousy Diablo skills perfectly).

Illiana

Diabloii.Net Member
I have to feel like playing a char, and lately Seleya wasn't "feeling" like fun, so I chose to do other things instead. But I'm happy to report that last night, Seleya proceeded through all of act 3 and managed to kill Mephisto on Nightmare, who dropped her this:

Aldur's Advance
Battle Boots
Required Strength: 95!!!
+50 to Life
+180 to Maximum Stamina
Heal Stamina Plus 32%
Fire Resist +49%
40% Faster Run/Walk
10% Damage Taken Goes to Mana
Indestructible

Unfortunately her strength is currently 75, so it'll take her 4 more levels until she'll get to use them. She killed Mephisto two more times, but nothing interesting dropped.

Seleya, level 63 Nova sorc, act 4 Pandemonium fortress

edit: has collected 150 points.

Cormallon

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm afraid my last status post got eaten by the squid as well, so you might think I didn't play much ...

In fact I had to split my time between the MFL and the MET, besides I was on vacation for two weeks. Nevertheless, my necro did quite well ;)

Destroyer Tul-Naru -- Necromancer
Level: 53
last WP: Arcaine Sactuary (NM)
last quest: Tainted Sun

unique: Coldkill (hatchet)
rare: circlet (+curses, MDR, MF, CR)
set: Hsaru's Iron Stay
runeword: none
socketed: large shield w. diamonds
crafted: Blood gloves (8% CB, 10% IAS, 3% LL, 16 life, poison dagger charges)

I'm playing on P4 currently, that setting seems to be a good mix between moderate danger and levelling speed. I'm doing 106-200ish damage now, and my merc 50-163. Unfortunately, I lost my eth Bonesnap Iron Golem somewhere in Radaments Lair... some poison proved to be fatal, his life went down too fast to save him with a TP and Fara/Atma healing him :( I have another Bonesnap, not eth though... we'll see, perhaps I do something like that again. For now, I'm sticking with a clay golem.

My original plan said to put 10 points into iron maiden... I think I won't do that. Amp dam / decrep does a far better work, I'll never use IM. Those 9 excess points can go somewhere else, perhaps a few into summon resist and a few into decrep.

Cassandra

Diabloii.Net Member
I've finished the sanctuary but am too tired to start the canyon tonight, so I'll use the time to post an update while I'm actually at my computer :p .

Hrun-Doran
WP: Canyon of the Magi
Level: 26
Total Score: 16(base) + 18(wp) + 10(q) = 44

Items
Socketed Item: gemmed breast plate (3 topazes)
Runeword Item: none
Rare Item: Stone Harp (composite bow) on merc
Crafted Item: none
Set Item: Civerb's Icon
Unique Item: Knell Striker

Condor

Diabloii.Net Member
Is this tournament still in process; AND, still accepting new registrations into this tournament?

Condor

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
Condor said:
Is this tournament still in process; AND, still accepting new registrations into this tournament?

Condor
Yes to both answers, however the number of new events will be small. (Partially because I can't think of any good events, and the number of update threads is becoming lower)
You are free to join, if you want; just write about your new character as the rules say and you will be welcome as a new participant.

Cormallon

Diabloii.Net Member
Level: 58
last WP: Kurast Docks (NM)
last quest: Duriel

unique: Coldkill (hatchet)

Tul-Naru spent quite some time in the tombs for levelling, he got about half a level per tomb (still at P4). Finally the battle against Duriel went very well, the golem, the merc and Tul-Naru himself didn't lose much life, not a single potion was necessary. And for the first time, Duriel dropped quite good (with my lousy 50% MF or such), three uniques: another Coldkill, Lance of Yaggai and a Steeldriver. The Steeldriver looks good for my next iron golem :D
One NDE though... I came near a FE zombie and forgot about the poison cloud carrying that FE damage- Fortunately, I put quite some points into vit already and had well over 400 life, that saved me. In hell difficulty I'm sure I'd be dead now.

Cormallon

Diabloii.Net Member
I just made it to act 4....

Level: 61
last WP: Pandemonium Fortress (NM)
last quest: Mephisto

unique: Sureshrill Frost

I switched my weapon... the new one is slower, but does more damage and at least it feels better (didn't calculate dmg / second). Durance was done at P1 (meph at P3 again) because of those exploding dolls... good decision, one of them almost got me. I'm 3rd rank now :)) Second rank means I have to kill Big D though... that one alsways is tough.
Oh, and I made a golem from the Steeldriver... unfortunately he died already. Now I'm playing with a golem from a (bought) magical maul, not the very best but obvoiusly good enough, he survived meph with ease.

Cormallon

Diabloii.Net Member
Level: 65
last WP: Harrogath (NM)
last quest: Diablo

rare: Amulet ( 38% LR, 2% LL, half freeze duration)

Diablo almost was the end. I used up all three CS area runs until I finally had a chance to beat him. The first two attepts ended with Diablo about 1/3 down, me without potions, clay golem and rogue constantly dying and no further progress. For the third try I changed to another iron golem, used AMP instead of decrep and bought a Merciless Chu-Ko-Nu (98% ED, very fast) for myself. This setup finished him rather quickly, the iron golem proved almost immune to the purple flamethrower and tanked him while I ind the rogue shot him from behind.

The hellforge dropped a LUM, no price for me. And it's not the UM I hoped for... Now I have to come up with some other idea how to fix my attack rating problem (other than Crescent Moon). Does anybody have a Hexfire for sale? I'd like to try something with ITD on it, but I don't have that much to offer for a trade, 50% MF doesn't produce too many good uniques or even rares.

Illiana

Diabloii.Net Member
Right, Seleya has made some progress. Diablo has been defeated (he dropped crap... what a surprise :D ) and all waypoints up to the Fridid highlands have been collected, giving Seleya a grand total of 158 points. It's apparently Seleya's destiny to find good boots, because she has now found a pair of War travelers! I am not quite sure if I should let her wear those or the Aldur's advance, because they're both very nice... Darn! I can use multiple uniques thnaks to some won events, so why am I not finding uniques for piecs of equipment that are actually in need of improvement? :rolleyes: Oh well.

See Cormallon? I updated!

Cormallon

Diabloii.Net Member
Illiana said:
See Cormallon? I updated!
Ah, very good :) I got my next WP yesterday and have 151 now, I'm on my way to rescue Anya. That part still looks doable. Next obstacle: Ancients.

Cormallon

Diabloii.Net Member
Some time has passed since my last update here, time for a new post :)

Level: 71
last WP: WSK2 (NM)
last quest: Ancients

rare: Light Plated Boots (30% FR, 37% LR, 21% MF, 54% ED)

There have been some minor changes on equipment, the ammy got changed to a 3 MDR, 28% cold resist one when I gambled the boots listed above.

Ancients were a major problem though. Besides some rerolls because of bad mods (cursed, FE, CE most of the time), I needed 4 attempts. The first failure occured because I simply didn't do enough damage and they always were after me instead of my golem. Second attempt ended when they killed my merc who usually deals significant amounts of damage. I switched to that Cho-Ku-No I already used against Diablo. The third attempt ended when I had all down to at least 1/3, but I ran out of ammunition and potions. The fourth attempt left me with 5 bolts and one big purple potion but all three were dead :clap:

I then went into the WSK, and it felt like a walk in the park, compared with the battle before. On my way into WSK3 the game crashed with one of these occasional 'assertion failed' messages. Perhaps it wants me to have a break.

Cassandra

Diabloii.Net Member
It took me more than two weeks, but I finally felt fit again yesterday to continue playing (actually our 2-year-old was sick, so I split my time between sitting on the sofa with her and playing whenever she was asleep :cool: ). I've cleared the false tombs, pounded Duriel over the head with my Knell Striker (while using up the incredible amount of two healing potions, mostly because I was too nervous to just wait after he had managed to scratch me). I've got a strong suspicion that Isenheart was last seen near Ancient Kaa the Soulless because the mob around Kaa dropped both his sword and armour (although I found the helm later on in the Great Marsh ... maybe he lost that one earlier).

Later I had an entertaining trip through a cul-de-sac called Great Marsh (entrance/exit to spider forest at one end, a treasure chest clearing near the entrance and a lone waypoint at the other end, no other exits, and the whole thing inhabited by bog creatures, swamp dwellers and bramble hulks, no gloams anywhere), then found an exit to the flayer jungle and the matching waypoint on the oposite side of the spider forest.

That's about all that's happened so far though ... nothing really interesting going on. I'm hoping to keep my motivation to get a bit futher within the next few days (although my play time will be limited to an hour or two in the evenings again since the kid seems to be well again ... she actually ate breakfast today (didn't eat a thing except some raisin cake, two potatoes and a handfull of cornflakes for dinner yesterday) and I expect I'll have to play all kinds of games again when I come home from work this week :rolleyes: ).

Hrun-Doran
WP: Flayer Jungle
Level: 30
Total Score: 16(base) + 22(wp) + 13(q) = 51

Items
Socketed Item: none (argh, forgot to review that when I changed the breastplate)
Runeword Item: none
Rare Item: Stone Harp (composite bow) on merc (ed/ar against demons, lightning damage, enhanced damage, two sockets filled with flawless ruby and sapphire)
Set Item: Isenheart's Case (yes, you can actually wear that thing :D )

Cassandra

Diabloii.Net Member
Hrun-Doran has finally reached the Pandemonium Fortress. Last night, he reached Travincal, took out the council and proceeded right into the Durance of Hate. Unlike my other adventures I've decided to skip parts of the most annoying areas, namely the Kurast sewers, Travincal and the Durance of Hate. I still had to clear most of Durance 2 though. All areas were taken on /players 8 except for Durance 3, where monsters died anoyingly fast, mostly before I even reached them thanks to my rogue mercenary and her rare bow. The fight with Mephisto was over just before I felt the need to use a potion (my mana bulb was nearing the bottom :p ), he didn't even manage to scratch me. He tried to poison me, but the only thing that happened was my health bulb turning green without moving (MDR is a nice thing to have :D ).

I was very lucky with rune finding. I found a Tal rune pretty much at the first point possible (from an Infidel champion on the Kurast Causeway), so I exchanged Isenheart's Case for a superior Stealth breastplate (still not the best defence, but much faster than the alternatives). Add to that Vidala's boots, and you have a really fast-moving barbarian :cool: . I still need to get the hang of that new-found speed, I keep walking into areas too fast and being surprised from behind by monsters that I didn't see along the way :rolleyes: . It's a good thing there wasn't much that was really dangerous to the barb in Act III.

Hrun-Doran
WP: Pandemonium Fortress
Level: 32
Total Score: 16(base) + 27(wp) + 18(q) = 61

Items
Socketed Item: none (still haven't found anything worthwhile)
Runeword Item: "Stealth" superior breastplate
Rare Item: Stone Harp (composite bow) on merc (ed/ar against demons, lightning damage, enhanced damage, two sockets filled with flawless ruby and sapphire)
Set Item: Vidala's Fetlock

Sir Lister of Smeg

Diabloii.Net Member
I finally continued with Irua the random, his progress is extremely slow due to the build I chose (I have to roll everytime I'm in town to see whether I need to change anything), nevertheless, he managed to score two more points, one by finding the Dark Wood waypoint, the other by rescueing Deckard Cain. I don't think I will continue much further though, what at first seemed a fun idea is becoming too much things apart from playing, although if this tourney is still running at a later stage, I might continue again. Nevertheless, here are the numbers:

Irua
level 15 druid
points: 41 (if I counted correctly, four waypoints including town, three quests, and 34 base build bonus)

The total list of random changes to the character:
5(1) +1 vit
5(2) +2 Raven
6(3) +1 dex +1, Spirit Wolf
8(4) +1 vit, +1 ene, +1 Spirit Wolf
10(5) merc: Shikha (lev6,cold)
10(6) merc: Amplisa (lev3,cold), +1 str, +1 Poison Creeper
11(7) merc: Abhaya (lev3,fire), +1 Oak Sage
11(8) merc: Kyoko (lev5,fire)
11(9) +1 Werebear
11(10) merc: Isolde (lev7,cold)
11(11) merc: Paige (lev6,fire), +1 ene, +2 str, +1 dex, +1 Firestorm, +1 Arctic Blast, +1 Molten Boulder
12(12) merc: Elly (lev4, cold), +1 ene
12(13) merc: Floria (lev4, cold)
12(14) +1vit, +1dex
13(15) +1 Firestorm, +1 Oak Sage
13(16) +1 vit, +2 str, merc Diane (lev7,cold)
13(17) +1 vit, +1 Firestorm
14(18) merc: Floria (lev5,cold)
15(19) merc: Isolde (lev5,cold)
15(20) +1 ene, +1 vit, +1 str, +1 dex

I think I've lately (starting level 13) been doing something wrong, which resulted in more changes and less progress.
Good luck to all those still alive and continuing.

Edit: I tried to update on the webpage, but it did not work for some reason (I did manage to log in, the changes I made did not seem to carry through). In ATMA, the quest for Cain is listed as fourth quest, in spite of being the third quest, so I tried to say I completed the fourth quest, maybe that is were it went wrong.

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
Deeds!

I took decided to take Clarissa out tonight, and it turned out to be her final day. She got taken out by a door trap in one of the temples in Kurast Bazaar. She was met by a boss pack of Wailing Beasts and a bunch of Spiders. (I think there was a normal pack of Wailing Beasts in there as well.) She survived for a little while using frozen arrow and downing potions, but she couldn't make it back to the door, and the poison from the spiders was just draining her life too quickly. I'm not sure I could have played it any differently.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. This is the furthest I have ever gotten with a HC character, so I can't complain. I'll get her prize stash together and send it out shortly. Unfortunately, she took the Ribcracker with her. :(

Thanks for hosting such a great tourney Hrus!

Edit: Prize Stash has been sent. :)

Clarissa -- Final Stats
WP: Kurast Bazaar. (NM)
Level: 62
Total Score: 116
Build Points: 8 Progress Points: 108

Items
Socketed Item: 3-socketed breast plate with 3 perfect topazes
Socketed Item #2: Brutal Razor Bow with a + min and an AR/+max jewel (merc)
Runeword Item: Zephyr Razor Bow
Rare Item: Carrion Casque Circlet (9% FR, 5% LS, 30% FRW, 1-95 LD)
Crafted Item: Blood Mesh Belt (nothing exciting...)
Rare/Crafted Item #2: Blood Heavy Gloves (20% IAS, 16% MF)
Set Item: Natalya's Soul Mesh Boots
Unique Item: Ribcracker Quarter Staff (weapon switch)

Events won: Chippie Hunt, Steel Weaponry

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
So, we have two months without an update, the tournament need the last event and the end-date. It will also be closed for new entrants. I will also enable using 1.11 patch. Some of us already uses new patch, and I plan to install it too, but the new runewords will be banned.

New (and the last) EVENT: Event of Last wish
Every character that will reach conqueror status can use one additional item of any type.

Let's see if I or any other forumite will post some more updates before this tournament will be closed.

END-DATE: 10-31-2005

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
SCORE UPDATE:
Code:
Competitor           Char.name     Total Score   Build P.  Progress P.   Build
Cormallon            Tul-Naru      160           25        135           Melee Golemancer
Illiana              Seleya        158           34        124           Nova Sorc
[i]skoolbus             Fists_ofFire  145           14        121           RIP FireClaw Druid[/i]
[i]Horobi               Panoramix     137           17        120           RIP Fury Wolf[/i]
[i]Cormallon            Alamutha      130           8         122           RIP Wind Druid[/i]
[i]Cattleya             Clarissa      116           8         108           RIP MA Zon[/i]
LprMan               Sharifa       102           16        86            MA Elemental Sin
Corrupted            Fenris        90            19        71            Fury Wolf
Hrus                 Druss         83            22        61            Axe Berserker
[i]Cassandra            Sonya         69            19        50            RIP MA Elemental Sin[/i]
Hypno****/Snuva      Aeria         47            31        16            Melee Sorc
Erimatbrad           Jiandaughterz 45            26        19            Blaze/Enchant Sorc
Poopie_Pants         Cybil         44            13        31            Storm Ranger
Sir Lister of Smeg   Irua          41            34        7             Random Druid       
Bull(R)              Cursor        39            30        9             Returnomancer
Cassandra            Hrun-Doran    61            16        45            Concentrate Barb
[i]Immortal Slayer      Muradin       33            23        10            RIP Berserker[/i]
SuperSavage          TheMilkMan    31            28        3             Templar/Cleric
Slartibartfast       My-Myrkul     30            0         30            Fishymancer
[i]LordMay              Alcier        30            16        14            RIP MA Sin[/i]
Gaz                  Growler       27            20        7             Geddon Bear
PinkeyandtheBrain    Sexy          24            24        0             Fendazon
[i]Slartibartfast       ?             23            22        1             RIP Singer[/i]
SevenDeadlySins      Lust          22            22        0             Enchantress
Horobi               Wraak         21            17        4             Kicker Sin
PicoDynamite         Gah           20            15        5             Fire Druid
[i]Corax                Rincewind     18            17        1             RIP Mage Commandomancer[/i]
Shermo               nikola        16            16        0             Tesladin
Ron                  ?             12            12        0             CS Zon
Event winners:
SET HUNT: skoolbus
DESTROYER: Corrupted
BLACK HACK: Horobi (character dead)
RANDOM DESTROYER: Cormallon (character dead)
CHIPPY HUNT: Cattleya
GRAIL GUESS: LprMan, Illiana
STEEL WEAPONRY: Cattleya
TC3 MFL: Illiana
Hellforge: -
Last Wish: -

Cassandra

Diabloii.Net Member
I've dragged my barbarian out of semi-retirement today, in an effort to at least get him further than the assassin, and succeeded :D . He's made it past Shenk up to the Frigid Highland waypoint.

Hrun-Doran
WP: Frigid Highlands
Level: 35
Total Score: 16(base) + 32(wp) + 22(q) = 70

Items
Socketed Item: none (still haven't found anything worthwhile)
Runeword Item: "Stealth" superior breastplate
Set Item: Vidala's Fetlock

I haven't made any changes equipment-wise today. I don't know if I'll get him to Baal before the end of the month, but I'll at least try. I haven't felt all that well for the past several months (5 months pregnant, still sick occasionally, and with an almost-3-year-old toddler in her master-tantrum-phase brightening my evenings when I get home from work :rolleyes: ), but it probably won't get noticeably better before I go on vacation around christmas, so there's no use in pretending that I'll get much play time before this tournament is ended.

Hrus, I have a question (or rather a request) concerning items. You said in the beginning that we may each chose a tc3 item that we're missing for our grail from the items we've found. Now I haven't found anything worthwhile with the assassin (except for the gull dagger that went down with her when Diablo roasted her to bits), but two pieces with the barbarian that I'm not likely to see again anytime soon, the Bane Ash (short staff) and the Knell Striker (scepter). Is there any chance that I may be allowed to keep both (presuming that my barbarian won't go down first, since he's still using the Knell Striker :cool: ). I'm not interested in items from the price stash (except for whatever will be left of the items I found myself), since I'm playing strictly self-found, so I'd be willing to trade my picks from the stash for the 2nd item.