Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

multi vs. strafe

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by phatbrava, Jun 6, 2005.

1. phatbrava

phatbrava IncGamers Member

multi vs. strafe

i've just started a FA amazon.
    but i havent decided yet which skill to use after i freeze my foes.
    should i go multishot or strafe?
    any advice is highly welcome

she is currently in act II dry hills, and i have only invested skill points in passive and magic tree, cruising easily on /p8 with the full arctic set on.

thanx in advance

2. MFMOFO

MFMOFO Banned

Both are great skills. I prefer multi, but it depends on your equipment. Can you give more information of your end game equipment?

3. phatbrava

i havent planned my equipement yet, but ill go with a bow, as i have all the Unique bows except WF.
    as for class specific i have lycander's and blood raven's charge.
    xbows are kinda slow, so i wont do that.
    i guess ill go with guillaume's (cb), LoH, gores (cb), atma's scarab (amp), razortail, ravenfrost, BK's ring (i just came up with this setup, im sure there can and will fit alot of changes)
    as for the armor, i have no ideea.
    maybe upped twitch?
    but my main concern isnt her equipment, but more what skill to go with.

4. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

There is no real answer to this question, they can both be used very effectively. It's more a matter of taste/style.

Personally, I've recently started to build a strafezon with a upped witchy. She is in Act III Hell and I am very happy to see how she is killing. (no P8 killer, but doing just fine with the crappy gear I gave her)
    I can not comment on the multi as I have not used it in 1.10 (yet).

Randall

5. MFMOFO

MFMOFO Banned

Well i play hardcore so I can't use strafe safely (strafe lock).
    And even if i could, i would stick with multi. I don't like the strafe way of attacking all monsters. If there is 10 targets you will shoot 1 arrow in each of them. This doesn't work for me. With multi i can just spam a lot of arrows and take down every monster in the room

6. steelsixtyIV

steelsixtyIV IncGamers Member

Multi was popular in 1.09 for running Cows, but in 1.10 you see more builds using Strafe. Like Randall posted earlier, personal choice is really the only difference.

7. killian27

killian27 IncGamers Member

Currently I am playing my first FA zon. I put 3 pts in multi early on to help out, but regreted it later. Strafe works much better for leeching mana, imo. I also use it as kindof an alert... I am almost always a half a screen away from the pack of monsters and the merc and valk. So, fire off a strafe and lets say she sends a volley at 9oclock and 2 oclock... and 2 oclock is where your merc and valk are... so then i would send a freezing arrow or two at 9oclock... which will at least freeze, but most likely kill a single monster. Of course that would be an area where you are just trying to sweep the area of monsters as fast as possible, not one where you would be drawing more monsters than you could handle in. The fact that it auto targets is cool to me, it will find a leachable monster if its around anywhere... even if you dont see it. My experience was that you are going to cut through the game like a hot knife until act5 tunnels in nightmare... and it doesnt slow down that much even then. I am currently at act 3 hell @ level 82, the rest of my points will go to strafe. Act1 was a real pain... it seemed as though every monster was cold-immune. The more points im getting into strafe the less cold immunes are concerning me. Multi arrow is cool, i just think strafe is more controllable for the specific tasks you are asking it to do... since you already have the most effective crowd control possible (against non-ci's of course)

Also, i dunno if this is cheesy or not, but i had a horrible time in act1 with cold immunes... so much that it wasnt even fun... I put on titans revenge and stormshield on the switch, and a t'gods belt... that lightning fury is one hell of a skill... it scares the CI's so bad, some of them drop their immunity i think:lol:

my .02

k

edit: I havnt found strafe-lock to be a concern really. I try to keep my merc and valk in between me and the pack at all times, plus since most of the time you are turning monsters into statues... well, like i say strafe-lock has not been a concern.

8. steelsixtyIV

steelsixtyIV IncGamers Member

Most HC players use Strafe as a back-up skill for filling up their mana bulbs and depending on the spread Multi may only hit a few monsters. Since most of the damage from FA is elemental most players shoot a few FA then Strafe back the mana.

9. phatbrava

thanx for all the advice.
    i guess ill have to choose myself, both skill have + and -
    but then rises another question, whether i choose multi or strafe: max the one ive chosen, or fully synergize FA?

10. MFMOFO

MFMOFO Banned

So I’m the weird one? I use maxed guided for single targets and multi(not maxed - 10 points - i don't need the additional arrows) for lots of targets.

11. killian27

killian27 IncGamers Member

IMO you have to put 20 pts in Freezing arrow and 20 pts in Cold arrow (??? the one that adds damage not cold length) dont put any points in the synergy that only adds cold length, length will not be a concern since small charms do it much more effeciently. A maxed freezing arrow and synergy i think would be first.

12. MFMOFO

MFMOFO Banned

Since your main damage is FA, strafe would be better to leech mana back.
    And why don't you try mavina's set? It has great bonuses to cold skills and that sexy aura :thumbsup:

13. phatbrava

i would use it, but i only have the belt and the gloves.
    and i dont trade, nor take giveaways.

thanx again to all of you who have helped.
    cheers

14. Moar

Moar IncGamers Site Pal

I have a M'avina zon with maxed FA, maxed CA (the first one in the cold tree, the second one shall not have more than 1 point), maxed valk and maxed penetrate. Strafe and Multi only got 1 point. You'll need strafe mostely to refill your mana and to scout where the next mob is and 1 point with + skill will be enough for that.
    I haven't played her for a while, but if I remember correctly she went on p8 through the whole game.

Moar

15. Lucky_Seven

Lucky_Seven IncGamers Member

Try a Witchizon is not the über build but can kill every monster in the game.

Strafe + knockback Monsters never come close to you, i use Craftgloves when MP you can change the gloves for LoH or BloodGloves.

16. DougTheHead2

DougTheHead2 IncGamers Member

Multi vs Strafe

I have a lvl 89 zon using Windforce and she was brought up using Strafe alone. Now that she does MF runs in every act for me, I've had a chance to really get the hang of her. I didn't start using Multishot until like lvl 84.

I was amazed.

Multishot is just as good as Strafe on my zon. Exactly as you say, I open up some multi in a crowded room and they go down much faster than with just strafe. For single targets or just scouting ahead, strafe is still an awesome skill. In the pits with a tight corridor, strafe is still better. But I actually use multishot now, and I really have lots of fun with it.

Which one is better for use as a backup skill? I really don't know. If you don't have the WF, then probably strafe.

17. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

Personally, I like Strafe. Not because Strafe is better in all situations. As Doug mentioned above there are situations where Multi is better ... but i'm lazy with my Witchy and I just rely on Strafe and position to hit everything. Whatever doesn't work in goes LF.

18. Quickdeath

Quickdeath IncGamers Member

I have heard that + elemental damage from charms and equipment mods is only carried by the two middle arrows in MS, all the other arrows carry no additional damage.

Whereas with strafe all arrows carry elemental damage adders.

Can anyone verify?

19. DougTheHead2

DougTheHead2 IncGamers Member

If you hit 9/2 strafe, multi probably isn't worth it... but I go for MF instead of IAS. A 9/2 strafe is just friggin awesome, if you already hit that bp then Strafe is the skill for you.

20. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Yep, 9/2 strafe is a huge improvement vs. 9/3, in both killing power and safety (less time in strafe lock). Couple that with 100% pierce you got yourself a pretty mean machine gunner.

Down side is of course 120 ias is needed for 9/2 in a WF, which pretty much requires you to put ias everywhere. You can still have the armor slot open for a skulder's though.