Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Muling mishap

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Patch Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by CheckMyPecs, Jul 1, 2005.

1. CheckMyPecs

CheckMyPecs IncGamers Member

Muling mishap

I just ran into an interesting and unfortunate situation on USEast L. I have two computers with different legit keys (bought the game twice) for muling, and it's always been a smooth transfer. But today something went wrong.

I'd just traded a pul for mav's caster in-game, and I left to self-mule it. I made a game with the dude with the bow and joined from another account on the other computer. Same as always. Dude dropped the bow and left the game, and I re-joined with the Zon who needed it. But when she got in the game both chars immediately lagged. I could see the bow on the ground, but neither char could pick it up. When I left to rejoin the game I got the "failed to join" message. I tried to join with other chars and the same thing happened. Meanwhile the place holder on computer 2 was still sitting there looking at the bow.

So I tried to create a different game with the zon, and it still failed to join. Other chars could create other games, however. Logging off bnet and back on didn't help. Eventually the place-holder lost his connection and the game went away. Goodbye bow. But so it goes - lesson learned.

The odd thing is that it took another 5 or 6 minutes before either character involved could create or join a game. Other chars continued to work just fine on both computers. No realm down or anything.

My question is, was this just a really untimely bnet hiccup that locked up not only the game but the chars too? Or could the bow itself have been bugged or scammed?

Sorry for the long story. Hopefully the details help. Thanks.

2. Arutha

Arutha IncGamers Member

The same thing happened to me not too long ago. I was xfer nigma, hoto, sojs, and anni from my pnb necro to my newly made windy. Running two computers, and two sets of cd keys neither could pick up anything that was on the ground, and after they got booted out of the game neither char could create/join games for about 15min(happens everytime i get CI with a char). But when I eventually could get back on luckily I experienced a roll back because my necro was still wearing everything that he had dropped.

3. Bhruic

Bhruic IncGamers Member

Wouldn't it be easier to use the trade screen? You've got two chars, and two connections, so it should be simple. And that way, nothing touches the ground, so there's no chance of losing any items.

Bh

4. NefariousNothing

NefariousNothing IncGamers Member

Ouch. I hate when I lose stuff self muling; I don't have two CD keys. But, naturally, I'm a risk taker. ;) So I do the old switcheroo.

Anyway, I'll gladly replace your bow (atleast I think that's what the caster is?). I've got a couple lying around somewhere. Lemme know when you're around, and if I am, it's yours for the taking. :)

5. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

The reason the two characters involved couldn't join or make any other games is because the game which crashed still had them registered in there. A character can only appear in a single game at any given time. The game which crashed wasn't flushed from bnet's system yet, so you had to wait until that happened before you could use either of those two characters again.

This wouldn't have affected the other characters on your account though, since they weren't registered in the crashed game.

6. CheckMyPecs

CheckMyPecs IncGamers Member

Wow, that's very generous! If it's no bother I'd be very appreciative. Maybe I can find something for you in return. I'm on most of the evening tonight and some tomorrow. Account is *nr_groove. Or pm me when you'll be on. Cheers.

And Bhruic, you're absolutely right. That's the safe way to go, but I got lulled into complacency, slacker that I am. :)

Thanks all!