Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Muling Gheed's Fortune

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by basvanlola, Mar 19, 2004.

1. basvanlola

basvanlola IncGamers Member

Muling Gheed's Fortune

I has wondering if it would be considered 'legit' if I would transfer my Gheed's Fortune I have found recently to a mule and then hope for Hell Mephisto to drop me another one...

I do not intend to use two GF's on one character, but I would like to put one on my MF-Necromancer.

Also, is it possible to identify a failed GF like the way you identify failed uniques ?? (I had some very crappy Grand Charms drop from Hell Mephisto while having my GF in my inventory, so I was wondering...)

2. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

that would certainly be legit. just so you know, you can find a Gheed's Fortune while carrying one. they can't both drop in the same game unless it is in the same drop, just like every other unique. the only difference between gheed's and all other uniques is that you can only carry one gheed's at a time.

i don't know of any way to identify failed unique charms - i don't even know if they can fail - since they have no durabilityyou run into the same problem you do with bows.

3. basvanlola

basvanlola IncGamers Member

OK, thanks..

I'll mule my Gheed's right away, I can't stand the thought of finding another one and not being able to pick it up !

4. Spook_Cell

Spook_Cell IncGamers Member

What was the concensus on ¨hot-muling¨ your Gheed's after finding one with one already equiped?

5. VvV

VvV IncGamers Member

Will you be able to pick up another Gheed's Charm if you move your current one from your backpack to your private stash?

6. Bull(R)

Bull(R) IncGamers Member

Nope.. only one per character.. no matter where you put it
    :thumbsup:

7. Spook_Cell

Spook_Cell IncGamers Member

Well no the principal is that by doing that you still have the one you currently have on saved in your ATMA stash then you chuck that one and pick up the newer one. Voila you have both but as I said before I'm not sure how this was viewed upon but everyone.

8. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

No consensus was reached, though I seem to recall most folks think this is ok. Bet y'all can guess where I personally am on the question. :uhhuh:

9. Milamber

Milamber Banned

What is 'hot-muling'???

10. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

I believe that hot-muling is using ATMA to mule stuff off your character while it's still actively being played, i.e. game still open.

11. Milamber

Milamber Banned

Oh okay, thanks for letting me know.

12. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Hakai_no_Tenshi IncGamers Member

It's the ability to mule items with ATMA from characters currently in-game. This is an unforseen side-effect of the FileWatch module which I added. The game saves your character files at regular intervals so it is also possible that an item you just picked up shows up within ATMA when ATMA reloads it. The basic idea here is to throw away the items you just muled off because you would end up with duplicates of it.

Now that I think about it, this has always been possible with other pre-ATMA programs e.g Shadowmaster ... strange way to dupe considering you could cut/paste with it but who knows. :scratch:

--T

13. nikstone

nikstone IncGamers Member

sometimes I have to mule items while a game is active:

1. because i forgot to empty my stash and there is nor more place
    2. because i found another Gheeds fortune

well, i just mule the items off and since the duplicates are still left in my inventory, i throw them away

i think this is ok

do you?

P.S. Oh, I see that Hakai_no_Tenshi already answered this.

14. Milamber

Milamber Banned

So basically I can be standing in The Pit…have a full inventory, switch windows load ATMA, load the character and mule my inventory off?

Then when I go back in game I simply have to empty my inventory?

Have I got it?

This way, ppl can mule then sell without a conscience! Everything has it’s flaws though, and as long as ppl do the right thing I see no real problem

15. Hakai_no_Tenshi

The idea here would be throw away the items without selling them because you would have an extra "income" which would not be possible otherwise. My personal take is that if you throw away the items without selling them and without someone else picking them up, then it's more or less ok since the items disappear when you close the game i.e no duping. Still, the purists would say this should not be allowed since you can't "normally" do this. Some have argued that it's no different from calling a friend on Bnet to help you mule ... but to each his own.

--T

16. Milamber

Milamber Banned

Yes I agree with your points completely.

17. Cauthon

Cauthon IncGamers Member

That is the essence of what hot muling is. However, as Tenshi pointed out, depending on the last time the game saved your character file, ATMA might not "see" some of the items you recently picked up. As AE mentions, there has been no real consensus on this issue here.

The process creates dupes automatically, since the edit from ATMA is not represented on the character loaded in the game. I would suggest that even then selling the items would be something to avoid! Provided the player drops the items from the inventory and carries on, letting those items expire/disappear at save&exit, the duping problem can be avoided.

However, the other issue is that the stance on ATMA has been that it only allows SPers to do what battle.netters have always been able to do; i.e. mule easily. As such, ATMA should not enable us to do anything beyond what a battle.netter would be able to do in their environment; and to mule, they either have to bring a friend into the game or exit the game to bring in their mule character if they are self-muling. Using ATMA to "hot-mule" gives us an advantage not shared on bnet - self-muling without having to leave the game. This is the bit that leaves me leery of using it as it opens up a slippery slope with regard to how we use ATMA.

18. Milamber

Milamber Banned

I can see your point...however IMO it's only the expolitation of the program, similar to the eths that were around when I was here last...

The majority shouldn't be punished or whatever term fits because of the minority

19. Hakai_no_Tenshi

The only way I can see out of this is to prevent a file that has been loaded by the game from being edited. *HOWEVER*, the problem is that the game does not place a system/semaphore "lock" on the file once it is done loading it so there is no way of knowing it is in use. Also, as I said before, you can hot-mule with any of the editors out there so it's not an ATMA issue per-se.

--T

20. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

That happened to me the other day. Fortunately, the new one was more MF and more vendor price reduction, even though it had less GF, so it was easy to decide which one to keep. Still, it was a shame to toss one to the void. :(