Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MS Paint taken to a whole new level

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mhl12, Nov 12, 2006.

1. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

MS Paint taken to a whole new level

Most people know that MS paint is a great app for minor editing of images and developing pixel art. Once in a while we some some good images created in paint. But none really matched up to photoshop, vectors, tablets, etc..

until this guy: http://haha.nu/amazing/sport-car-drawn-entirely-with-ms-paint/

Watch and weep.. completely insane.

2. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

That's lovely!

A friend of mine does the same, drawing portaits in MS Paint. She's really good.

3. rare

rare IncGamers Member

Cool, I dont know if I like the fact he makes them have a "cartoony" effect.

but amusing nonetheless.

4. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

That proves it isn't the program, but the artist. Still I have to ask why. The car would look nicer if done in PS or Freehand just because of better Pen Tools and gradients. No company would want to hire someone that uses MS Paint because it lacks a lot of the technical tools needed to do nice graphic design.

As I said, cool, but why?

5. asdf

asdf IncGamers Member

MS paint skill... awesome. art style... meh. i never liked that style of car cartoons.

6. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Hehe, neat.

7. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

Because it's art? What's wrong with that? That guy/girl is probably very skilled in the more advanced programs too...
    I would play with Paint more if I could do stuff like that.

8. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I mean what is the point of using such a low class program. The exact same effect could be done with Photoshop, only faster because of keyboard shortcuts(no going back to the toolbar) and more effect pen tools.

I guess it boils down to "Why use a paintbrush when a sprayer is faster and gets the same result?".

9. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Because using a primitive tool makes you focus more on the how and why of everything you do. By focussing on the small stuff, the stuff that you would normally have a more advanced program do for you, you can learn more about how and why that particular method works, which when applied to the more advanced tools, will let you have a better idea of how to use them to make even more impressive effects.

Or, maybe he just can't afford photoshop and doesn't want to download it.

10. Stompwampa

But you see, the result is NOT the same. Half the fun in creating art is the method, not the result. It takes far more creativity and skill to make that image in MS Paint than it does in Photoshop. Faster does not mean better.

11. rare

rare IncGamers Member

there are things called hobbies that you just do for the sake of doing them; getting paid to do it is the Least of your worries and you will have fun doing it irregardless.

12. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

The exact same tools are available in Photoshop, the result is the same.

It doesn't take more skill, it just takes far more time because it isn't a production tool. It is really just a difference in time. Any one here could do what that guy did, he used like 3 tools the whole time. The pen tool, the one he used to make curved lines, isn't hard to learn and simply has better controls in PS. The fill tool and text would work the same. Using Photoshop wouldn't make that picture look any better if you used the same tools, it would however be faster(keyboard shortcuts) and easier(he has to erase a bunch of his lines, he could undo or modify those lines in PS). Photoshop wouldn't make it any less hard to draw in perspective or change his style at all.

13. Stompwampa

Well I'll let you break the news to Jackson Pollock that he could use Photoshop to make his art a lot more efficiently than throwing paint around a canvas.

14. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

1) I doubt it.
    2) Who would take the time?

LOL.

15. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I didn't say Photoshop was the end all be all when it comes to art, when it comes to making art like the one shown in the video it certainly is more effective than MS Paint.

Donny, if you understand the idea of perspective and how to use the Pen tool then you could make that. The time it would take you would be a lot, just like it was for the guy in the video, but you could do it.

16. Stompwampa

I know what your're saying, but just because something is more effective, does not make it better, especially when it comes to art. Like I said before, the method is half the fun.
    It it not far more impressive to make that drawing in Paint than it is to do so in Photoshop? Everyone knows you can do something like that in Photoshop...but to do it in Paint is a feat in and of itself.

17. rare

rare IncGamers Member

I now refer you to the Simpsons episode where they are vacationing in the Middle East for some reason, and Bart and Lisa come up to a guy that stands on his head, and then goes on to walk just using his ears.

Bart simply says "I could do that but I dont want to"

:cloud9:

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

You know what's even more user-friendly than Paintbrush? An actual paintbrush. So in theory everyone on this forum could paint the Mona Lisa.

I think you're missing the whole artistic talent component.

19. Mecal

Mecal IncGamers Member

i agree with this.
    it takes alot of skill do to something like that in such a basic program.

I have no doubt that he could create some even better things in Photoshop or the like.

20. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

The fact he got that damn wiggly-line tool to work so well is an accomplishment in itself. That thing drives me nuts.