Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mr. Terrorism

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Freemason, Mar 18, 2004.

?

Would you like a legendary status?

Poll closed Apr 8, 2007.
  1. Yeah! I want Blizzard to add a feature like this!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Hmm seems ok. I wouldnt mind it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I dont think so. Seems kind of odd...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Hell no!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Mr. Terrorism

French Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin on Thursday backed a European Union proposal to appoint an anti-terrorism expert who would coordinate EU security measures in the wake of the Madrid attacks.
    "I think it's a good idea," de Villepin told Radio France Internationale when asked about the idea of appointing a "Mr Terrorism" for the bloc, who would report to EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana.
    "It's very important for us to... try to better coordinate our actions as Europeans -- that we have an official, a coordinator, as Javier Solana has proposed," the French minister added.
    "I think we have to coordinate our efforts on the technical level, which would allow us to better assess the realities on the ground, to fight terrorism more effectively," de Villepin said.
    EU officials have said the proposed "Mr Terrorism" would be a coordinator -- an expert who knows the subject well -- rather than a politician. The officials rejected any comparison with Tom Ridge, the US Homeland Security director.
    The proposal will be one of many on the agenda for an emergency meeting of EU interior ministers in Brussels on Friday, who will try to determine how to respond to the devastating Madrid bomb blasts, which left 201 people dead.
    Source

Mr. Terrorism? What is this, Sesame Street? I can't get the image of a guy in a purple suit with googly eyes and yellow antennas pancing around singing about how terrorism is bad.

Considering it's the French proposing this, it can only be assumed "Mr. Terrorism" will be an apologist and an appeaser. He will "lead" a group of fearful people who will capitulate after the first major attack. He will "attack" terrorism with soft words and pleading to not be blown up.

2. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

As opposed to idiotically attacking a country that had no IMPORTANT connection to a terrorist attack on a half assed lie? Wow that sounds much better no?

3. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Mr. Terrorism is no more of a stupid name than Drug Czar. Nice ad hom against the French, though. Too bad you couldn't come up with a real argument.

I don't see why the EU shouldn't have the equivalent of our Homeland Security Director. Makes sense to me.

4. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

Funny, that's the exact same image I get when I think of Bush

5. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

Grimace is cool

6. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

oh boy--before we go down this road again let's all stop...do we really want to repeat oursleves again?

To me this is just another small step in the unification of europe. Europeans are consolidating to take on the US, and China who will be tyhe super powers of the next century. Now Europe will join the fun and there will be three. I wonder if russia will do anything to come back? will the middle east and southwestern asia unite as well? what will the next century have instore for us. we're already off to a crazy start.

7. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

What about Canada, we're awfully quiet, could we be plotting something? What are we hiding? Is that a WMD? I don't know, i'm not at liberty to say. Watch your backs, foo's

8. Any1

Any1 Banned

It's better than acting like a self-righteous bully. To compomise American lives, resources, and integrity in pursuit of Greed and Dogma is nothing to be proud of.

9. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Who cares if he has a dumb nickname among the press? Co-ordinated security is a good idea. You should be flattered that they're borrowing a Bush idea.

10. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Sure it will work. It will definitely work better the closer the ties between the different european intelligence agencies are made.

Europe has a lot more experience dealing with terrorism than the US and there are some top notch intelligence agencies over here, notably the French (that´s right Smeg, I´m not kidding).
    I don´t see why you would be against this Smeg. Wouldn´t this benefit the US too?

11. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Why do I even bother? If there was a lie, then the entire world lied as well. The UN believed there were WMD's. Pres. Clinton believed. So did the French and Germans. So why is it a lie now? Because somebody actualy did something about it? Is action the source of the lie?

Both names are absurd. And I'll continue to have full faith in the cowardice and appeasment of the French until I see anything different.

The only reason to have one is if you actually intend to do something other than try to not make the terrorist mad at you. Whichis pointless because they want to kill you anyway. France is right now getting spooked becasue they've received a threat because of banning religious headwear. Source
    Why would they be attacked? They've done everything they could to not torque off the terrorists. Haven't they? Of course not. They haven't converted to the radical corrupted version of Islam of the terrorists.

I'm not against it. I just don't believe that anything the French come up with to fight terrorism will work. What have they done of late to combat terrorism? Nothing. They've been doing business with the terrorist nations for years. They have a monetary incentive to NOT do anything to destroy the terrorist nations and ultimately the terrorist organizations.

It all comes does to money.

12. Thirtytwoandlost

Thirtytwoandlost Banned

You my friend, are a bigot. Enjoy. Teach your children well.

13. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I don't get it. Seems like a good idea to me. So what if France isn't going to do anything about it, someone in the EU will. It's probably going to make peopel safer and cut down on the risk of a big widescale terrorist attacks.

Here's how I see it. If they start investigating all kinds of terrorist activities and coordinating prevention efforts, maybe they'll see how much of a threat terrorism can really be, and they'll do more about it in the future.

No need to knock a policy that sounds pretty good.

14. Drosselmeier

Look, choosing not to partake in agressive warfare does not equal doing nothing. I suggest you calm the fnark down Smeg. All you´re doing right now is perpetuate the image of americans as bloodthirsty, violent and stupid.

What is a terrorist nation? Are there nations run by terrorists and populated by terrorists exclusively now? I assume what you´re talking about is the "axis of non-conformity". You want these nations destroyed? Destroyed how? There are a lot of people living in those nations, so if you want to exterminate them all you´d better start drawing up plans for the genocide right away.

Stop being evil Smeg.

15. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Smeg, how did you manage to turn this from an EU issue to a 'France is a bunch of chumps issue'? Oh that's right, you've been following commentators on FOX for the last 3 years (FOX News isn't bad itself). When in doubt, France sucks. You want to bash France, pick a better article.

The original article is about what the EU wants to do, not France (I put it in bold, maybe it'll sink in). Your ignorance/naïveté/whatever towards France just makes you look even more nutjob than usual. 1) When it comes to terrorist acts against a single nation; France makes the U.S. look like a bunch of hippies and 2) I just don't think you get the concept of the EU.

For the non-Americans on the forum, those of us who live in the U.S. are not all like Smeg. Some of us are even *gasp* rational.

16. pixelpowder

pixelpowder IncGamers Member

For your information, the source of this document is not proven. It could be Al Quaida, but it could also be a lone raving guy. Or a joke. Or a right wing group that is actually AGAINST Muslims and is trying to prove that the french muslim community and hence that people should vote for the Extreme Right in the elections coming in France on Sunday. Recent developments actually point in that direction, since the letter did not contain the usual rethoric of Islamic groups, but on the other hand referred to "Charles Martel" who is a notable figure for rightwing extremists. Anyway, time will tell.

Well the French a few years ago busted the plot by Islamists to blow a bomb among the people attending the Strasbourg Christmas market. They also disbanded several Islamist movements in France, fending off a terrorist campaign (in the end one of the terrorists was shot by the police). In 1995 they had thwarted the plan by terrorists to crash a highjacked plane over Paris by stopping it in Marseille and raiding it (incidentally, this is when terrorists realized that in order to actually crash a highjacked plane, they had to learn to pilot it... a lesson which could have been taken into account 6 years later when the US found that some Saudis were taking weird flying lessons). The French together with the Spanish police scored notable success against ETA, arresting several important leaders in conjoined operations. The French also managed to arrest Yvan Colonna, a Corsican terrorist who had killed a french official, a success that has so far kept the violence of these terrorist movements from going forward. Not to mention the disbanding of Action Directe 10 years or so ago (Action Directe was the leftwing terrorist movement that terrorized the country for some years in the 80's).

I could go on, but somehow it seems that nothing that I can say would sway you from your view that the French are bad, weak, lazy and dirty because they said NO to your beloved George Bush - characteristics that the Spaniards will probably now earn from you too.

P.S. 1 So far, there is only one vote for "The Coalition can take care of it"... Probably your own I guess ?

P.S. 2 I just heard about that letter that could be from Al Quaida (still unconfirmed though, so let's be cautious), where they wished for the reelection of George Bush because they couldn't find anyone more stupid than him. Whether genuine or not, I couldn't agree more that Bush is the best friend terrorists have had for years.

17. Drosselmeier

This is what I´m talking about. How many times have I seen this now... An american feeling the need to apologize and distance himself from the crackpot ravings of some cowboy? I think everyone here knows that not all americans support killing off everyone on the other side of the border until people shut up and do as they´re told, but you having to apologize time and time again is pretty sad.
    This works both ways of course. It´s pretty depressing that a syrian probably would have to be very clear about where he stands on murder for Smeg not to want to shoot him in the head :(
    Shoot first, ask questions later. Communication is teh broken.

This post is really about a thought that´s been running around my head for the last few days.
    When the new spanish government said that it would indeed pull the troops out of Iraq there was a lot of talk about them giving in to terror. So, I started thinking... this huge rift that´s opening up between the US and Europe... isn´t this giving the NY and Madrid bombers what they wouldn´t even have dared to dream of?
    You hear that Smeg? We´re playing their game. I´m sure that every time you start raving about France this and old Europe that, it brings tears of joy to their eyes.

18. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Dross, I will never apologize for being from the U.S. (like I had much choice in the matter). But I am running away from the ideas of Smeg, our government, and the guys who tell them what to think.

I just want to be able to visit Europe (or anywhere), walk into a bar and not have everyone look at me like some sort of six-gun usin' cowboy. I try to think globally because this is a totally rad planet with most excellent cats :drink:

But, you make an excellent point. Lousy Commie :thumbsup:

19. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

I still say Spain's military involvement in the first place gave the terrorists what they wanted - a blow to democracy by having the voters completely ignored. A voice against Spain's withdrawal is a voice both in favor of terrorism and against democracy.

And now those same voices are going to go ahead and alienate one more ally over it, further supporting the goals of terrorists. Are they paying you or what?

20. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Exactly. I was hoping someoen else felt the same way about people like this. Not everyone in the world is as blood thirsty or irrational as you Smeg. Maybe you should learn that not everything is solved by invading another country. A lesson hard learned in Vietnam, and which seems to have been forgotten today.