MP3 player question

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
MP3 player question

Okay, my wife's planning to buy an MP3 player on the cheap. All she wants to do is listen to some MP3s she has on the computer currently (not purchased from online stores or anything...) while working out. She doesn't need massive space, probably 512MB would be plenty.

I know, I know, I should've paid more attention in the previous thousand MP3 player threads.

So anyway, there's a 512MB iPod Shuffle going for AUD$67 in a clearance sale, she's also seen no-name brands for about the same price. I've heard that you can only put songs on an iPod with iTunes (which won't run on Win 98 anyway), and it'll only let you play songs downloaded from the Apple store. Is this correct?

Basically, one that plays MP3 files no questions asked is what I'm looking for.

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
ipod and itunes will play songs that you got from places other than their store. But yeah, you need itunes to put music on an ipod unless there's some sort of trick.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
So anyway, there's a 512MB iPod Shuffle going for AUD$67 in a clearance sale, she's also seen no-name brands for about the same price. I've heard that you can only put songs on an iPod with iTunes (which won't run on Win 98 anyway), and it'll only let you play songs downloaded from the Apple store. Is this correct?
1. That's a nice price for that player.
2. Yes. You have to use iTunes to use it.
3. No. You can use MP3 files of your own . . . No need to ever go to the iTMS at all.

In any case the Win98 thing will be a deal killer for any Apple player. Look into simpler players (Creative?) to find models that let you drag-and-drop your music files in Windows Explorer.

garublador

Diabloii.Net Member
iTunes is the only way to put MP3s on an iPod, but you can import normal MP3s and songs from CDs into iTunes. You don't need to buy songs from the iTunes store if you don't want to.

If you're using Win 98 (Win 98 supports USB, right?), you may want to look for an MP3 player that doesn't require extra software. Some of them work just like those little, USB thumb drives where you can just drag the songs from your computer onto the drive and that's all you need to do. Otherwise you'll need to find one that has software that's compatable with Win98 (duh).

I do have an iRiver that uses software where I'm not sure if it works on '98, but it works great. It's not as intuitive as an iPod, but once you figure out the basic operations, it's not too bad. I think it sounds great, too.

Johnny

Banned
ipod crap.

Just get an mp3 player for $40 then drag and drop your mp3's into it. No questions asked.

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
Sounds like you won't want an ipod while running W98...

I'd be surprised if you can't find something much cheaper, if you're only looking for 512MB. I saw them for $30.00 USD on Black Friday.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
There's no third party (probably not legal) software you can use instead of iTunes?

I don't know what brand this was, not one I recognised like iRiver or Creative. Are the no-name brands decent enough to be worth it, or should I shell out a little extra for one of those two?

If you're using Win 98 (Win 98 supports USB, right?),
Yeah. Although I've always meant to test it to see if it's USB 2.0 format.

I'd be surprised if you can't find something much cheaper, if you're only looking for 512MB. I saw them for $30.00 USD on Black Friday.
That's probably not much different from AUD$67 if you take into account the currency difference and the fact everything seems to cost more here (tariffs? Supply issues? I don't know). But yeah, I should probably not rush into buying a player just because of the low price.

rplusplus

Diabloii.Net Member
Just get a Creative Muvo. Ebay Very Cheap like $10-$20US for a 512MB. Works on win98 and easy to use with any MP3's. I use mine for work outs when I don't want to risk damaging my Nano.

Yarr++

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
That's probably not much different from AUD$67 if you take into account the currency difference and the fact everything seems to cost more here (tariffs? Supply issues? I don't know). But yeah, I should probably not rush into buying a player just because of the low price.
I forget about that things cost more for reasons outside of currency differences. My sister lives in Sydney, and she's always complaining about how expensive food is compared to here.

Alexial

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a Creative Zen Nano, and it works great. (And I have an ME...) It's also not very expensive. :3

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Just get a Creative Muvo. Ebay Very Cheap like $10-$20US for a 512MB. Works on win98 and easy to use with any MP3's. I use mine for work outs when I don't want to risk damaging my Nano.

Yarr++
Hmm, sounds like just the thing. There aren't any piracy prevention thingies are there?

Not that I pirate of course...

I forget about that things cost more for reasons outside of currency differences. My sister lives in Sydney, and she's always complaining about how expensive food is compared to here.
Probably because they have to scrape the grime off everything before they serve it.

Sorry, I just hate Sydney...

mhl12

Diabloii.Net Member
There's no third party (probably not legal) software you can use instead of iTunes?
winamp + ipod plugin

I would recommend one of Creative's flash based players over the shuffle mainly b/c the battery lasts a lot longer and also you can choose which songs to listen to rather always pressing forward until you reach your song.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
There are some models out there that use SD cards for media. Those are nice because you can buy a cheap one now, use the pitiful 64MB or whatever it comes with until you decide it's too small, and then go get a bigger SD card to boost capacity.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
I second the Creative MuVo. I have one, and it works great. I haven't had a single problem with it. It's nice and lightweight and is very very very easy to use.

Bortaz

Banned
I have a Creative Zen Nano, and it works great. (And I have an ME...) It's also not very expensive. :3
So, there are players that run on ME? I asked here, and didn't get any really direct answers to that question. I also asked the dorks at Circuit City and Best Buy, who told me the only thing you could use the players for with ME is as a flash drive, and that your mp3 player wouldn't play the songs unless loaded through WMP 10 or iTunes (both of which require XP).

I looked at the Creative Zen Nano and the SanDisk Rhapsody 2GB thing, and the packaging on both said that Windows XP was required.

Lazer LXXVII

Diabloii.Net Member
Dont get an iPod. They are horrible overpriced and from what i hear that have lots of issues.

Get a Dell DJ or one of those Creative Zen ones, i have had a DJ for 2 1/2 years or so, zero problems with it. Plus i paid $180 for a 30gig, when im sure a 2 gig iPod is about $140 or so. Just avoid an iPod unless you can afford spending alot of extra money on something that every other MP3 player does just as well, if not better.

rplusplus

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmm, sounds like just the thing. There aren't any piracy prevention thingies are there?

Not that I pirate of course...
The thing is about as simple as them come. If you have ever used a USB drive then all you do is plug this little thing into a USB port and your computer sees it as a drive. Drag and drop your MP3's onto it and go.

I've even used it as a USB drive for moving files around.

The 64MB and 128MB ones I have both had work find on win98.

Yarr++

Alexial

Diabloii.Net Member
So, there are players that run on ME? I asked here, and didn't get any really direct answers to that question. I also asked the dorks at Circuit City and Best Buy, who told me the only thing you could use the players for with ME is as a flash drive, and that your mp3 player wouldn't play the songs unless loaded through WMP 10 or iTunes (both of which require XP).

I looked at the Creative Zen Nano and the SanDisk Rhapsody 2GB thing, and the packaging on both said that Windows XP was required.
Yeah, you have to be really careful about buying MP3 players for MEs. (And btw, it's nice having a fellow ME user here. I feel all alone a lot with one. xD)

This is the one I have, though:

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=12720

It's not the most complicated, awesome thing ever, but it works. (And don't just buy any of the Creative Zen brands... I would have gotten a better one with more space, but I didn't want to waste the money/time on it if it didn't work.) The only other player that I know of that can work on them are some of the Sony ones, but I've heard that actually getting songs onto them is a very annoying thing to do.

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
a friend of mine used his sansa to backup his notebook when he had to fdisk and format it after getting a nasty virus