Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MP Guide - SPF (v1.10)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Thyiad, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

MP Guide - SPF (v1.10)

Introduction

I was asked to do this for all who MP:
    • Been around longer than Baal himself? Are you sure you are still a ‘good’ MP’er?
    • Newer members really should have a read before you start MPing; it might stop you making a faux pas. That’s French for making a merc of yourself.
    The majority of this is a quick-reference bullet point style (•) with additional information asterixed below (*). Yes, I have repeated myself a couple times, partly because I am old and partly because I wanted something covered if someone just skips to one part of the post.

Please comment if you think there is something that should be changed/added. Donations of chocolate are also acceptable.

** My thanks to all those with whom I have MP’d **; it has shown me what makes good and - (rarely) bad MP – which is a major contributor to this guide.

Acronyms/Glossary/Other links

The following threads, all are worth reading:
    MP Guidelines and Suggestions by wilddjinn
    A Guide to Baal Etiquette by no2fakeshakes
    SPF Multiplayer Guidelines Input and Drafts by Cattleya and the whole SPF

Other useful threads:
    Forum Rules
    Single Player FAQ

The Multi-Player Forum is Stickied at the top of the SPF

The Search Function is your friend

RWM – Rune word mod – enables online runewords
    RRM – Red rune mod – turns runes red
    Vanilla – Unmodded
    SC – softcore
    HC – hardcore
    MP – multi-player
    PvM – player versus monsters
    PvP – player versus player
    Twinked – using gear other than found usually applies to new characters having Angelic/Deaths/Twitchthroe etc ready to use
    Ng – new game
    Merc and moron are used interchangeably

Posting a game
    • In the MP Forum - in the correct thread or via PM if the game is invite-only
    • Your version and mods installed – EG 1.11b RWM/RRM or 1.11b Vanilla
    • The game type – SC/HC
    • Your IP address*
    • Type of game: runs, questing or PvP
    • If PvP; level and manners – most other comments here will relate to questing
    • If new characters, whether twinked or not
    • If you have a pace in mind, whether full clear or rush
    • Difficulty level and starting Act
    • Preferably the host character type: a skellymancer isn’t going to be happy to see four cold sorceresses!
    • Without spamming the MP thread *looks shifty* try and update it when possible. Get a last minute edit in before the 60 minute edit deadline. Post an update if you’re still going after two hours or so; you might get new people in
    *NOTES
    Your IP addresses does NOT begin 192.xxx, use www.whatismyip.org to get your external address

Bear in mind you will probably have to open port 4000. If you don’t know how to do this then try www.portforward.com.
    If that doesn’t work you can resort to hosting via www.hamachi.cc however only other Hamachi users can connect.
    Blizzard’s technical support may be able to help you

Use the advanced search button - others may have had a similar problem
    Try to keep technical stuff out of the MP thread, PM someone who needs help.

Joining a game
    • If you use hacked items/drop mods/maphack etc, don’t join
    • Read the post. Twice. If you’re new to MP read it three times and make sure you understand about the mod situation – RWM/RRM characters should not enter Vanilla games
    • Check the time stamp. “Act I” posted four hours ago, is likely to be inaccurate
    • Join with an appropriate levelled/equipped character. Check your gear in ATMA before joining.
    • INTRODUCE YOURSELF. No apology for the capitals. “<Thyiad” is sufficient. That should be the very first thing you type. Everytime
    • If you enter and are at a very different level, leave. Return with another character if you like, but don’t stay if you won’t be able to MP with the party. Also a very high level character will ruin the experience gained for lower characters and not everyone wants to rush
    • If you have a weak character; let the others know and ask if they are ok with it. Just because there is Pally there, doesn’t mean they can handle Baal P8 solo because everyone else is 15 levels lower with negative resists
    • You aren’t likely to get a party invite until the host has finished tele’ing/everyone recognizes you/your intro has been checked on the forum; just wait for a minute
    • Let the host invite all party members

The Host

“The host is the one that was, the one that is and the one that shall be”. (Forgive the mis-quote, I couldn’t resist.)

The host rules. The host is right. Obey the host. If they want to do full clears and spend 20 minutes looking for the last quill rat and you want to rush through, guess who loses? Yes, you.

Hosts:
    • Ensure that whoever joins has the right mods/gear/character/level and isn’t banned from MP/trade
    • Invite players to party
    • Set the pace
    • Get first choice on everything – many will waive this but it is their decision
    • Decide on drop allocation/rotation – host gets all, most in need or rotation – make it clear to begin with, don’t wait until the Windforce drops. If you choose rotation and someone gets ‘your’ grailer, tough. Congratulate them.
    • Decides who gets first pick of the shrines
    • Keep order and be a referee
    • Ensures there are breaks – particularly for stat distribution when questing
    With courteous and sensible play, a lot of the above shouldn’t be necessary: do you have to be told a level eight char should get preference over a level 20 character for an experience shrine?

Playtime!
    • MP is about cooperation and teamwork. If you want to play with yourself don’t join an MP game*
    • If you are not having fun, leave or close the game down; the second most honest thing I have heard in MP is “I am playing like a prat, I’ll catch you tomorrow” (after four very rapid deaths) +1 respect
    • Follow the pace set by the host
    • Be aware of the type of game: if it’s a Baal run don’t go and MF Memphisto
    • Be courteous at all times including in your characters’ names
    • Lose the bad language unless you know everyone really well
    • Drops/monsters do not have sexual preferences – you will offend people and come across as immature
    • Not everyone is a 70wmp typist so no need to correct every typo but no need to use “w8 m8 I no @ wp” either
    • Drops are first choice to the host, remember
    • Try to leave some potions for others
    • Grab gold. It’s shared in MP, so snarfle away
    • There is a whole Trade Forum for trading “Anyone got a 5os bezerker axe” is fine, if you have an ISO then post a trade thread
    • If you see something drop which the host/others miss, tell them. If the host doesn’t want it, the Necromancer is likely to be quite happy about an AoKL dropping.
    • If you need to go afk/town for potions/get a cat off a sideboard – let everyone know
    • Plan ahead, if someone is off to town for potions, go with them and repair your weapon. Party trips to town mean more killing time. Make sure everyone is ready before leaving town. If you have trouble with the vendors due to lag, ask if someone else will buy pots and drop them on the ground for you.
    • Found some cursed Frenzytaurs? TP’d out? Warn your fellow MP’ers that portal is hot hot hot
    • Similarly, don’t go rushing though a portal. Waiting for ‘clear’ can save the whole group from a rescue mission (amusing anecdote five dead MP’ers plus one more on fast user switching as rescuer)
    • Always be useful: EG Carvers are fire immune, don’t bother chucking fireballs at them. This applies to all immunes unless you are a light sorceress with Infinity and the monster isn’t on this list as still immune. Use static/telekinesis instead
    • Be aware of your fellow MP’ers. If you have a cursing Necro, change the Reapers for something else. Two Barbarians? surely not? use highest BO. Two pallys; use different auras. If the group is slaughtering Conversion is uneccessary and often annoying as the group have wait for the monster to become hostile again
    *NOTES
    There are lots of ways to demonstrate co-operative play:
    • If you have a decent ping, offer to teleport once in a while
    • In Act II if there are enough of you to do it safely, split up in teams to do the Magots/Vipers and Arcane Sanctuary
    • If you know someone has a rubbish connection and you see them just standing there while a monster hacks at them, take some hits for them and protect them until they are out of lag (then recommend a new ISP)
    • If you are a high life character, take a hit for someone who isn’t.
    • Barbarians/CtA’ers, use BO. Particularly if someone is teleporting for you
    • If you can cast Enchant, do so
    • If a quest requires a party member to be in a certain area make sure everyone is there before completing it. If someone just dropped connection, wait for them otherwise the host might just decide new game so they can get the quest and you don’t want to have to find the Summoner again, do you?
    • If someone dies, go and help them. Yes, all of you if necessary
    • Watch your party’s health bar; if you see one dropping sharply go and investigate
    • Offer gold to someone who can’t afford to resurrect their moron; particularly sorceresses with Insight mercs

Suspicious Minds
    • If you are banned/using questionable items or mods then stay out of MP
    • If you think someone isn’t legit, squelch them*, tell the host you have an issue and if they don’t leave, you should. Then PM a Mod. Don’t post “Cabbage is a haxo0r thread” on the forum.
    • If you are the host, ask the party under suspicion to leave until it is straightened out
    • If you are asked to leave, by all means ask why, but then do so graciously
    • Hosts’ last resort is close the game down and PM a new IP address; post an update in the MP thread
    • If you have been instructed by a Mod not to MP/Trade then don’t – they will find out, you will regret it
    *That is the only time the squelch button should be used. If you want to chat, use messenger

Drops
    • MP is for fun and experience, drops shouldn’t be your main motivator
    • Hosts’ choice first – yes, I’ll probably repeat that again later
    • If drops are split, as most in need, it is as defined by the host
    • ‘Round robin’ – everyone takes a turn at first choice is easiest in runs
    • Don’t grab and ID in a corner while everyone else battles on
    • If it could be useful, ask if anyone wants what you are about to sell for gold to resurrect your moron – EG 4os Monarch
    • Some players will refuse all drops; it is still nice to offer though

A Special Mention for the ‘Grabee’
    • M is hosting, N, O and P are his co-questers. A Zod drops, P grabs it and leaves. What happens next?
    • If the host had not specifically stated drop rules, this could be a misunderstanding – don’t over react
    • If the host had specified drop rules – don’t over react - they could just be trying to ensure it isn't lost if the game crashes - if they come back no harm done
    • It is up to M have a discussion with P in-game and/or via a PM on the forum NOT via a “P thief stole my Zod omg!!” thread
    • There is no way to force P to give up the item BUT
    • This is a Community; knowledge, trust and respect go a long way here – the most honest thing I have heard in MP is “Here, this Vex dropped” +10 respect
    • Think about how you want people to think about you before you become a ‘grabee’

Questing Specifics
    • Can be pleasure or a pain if you are in an MP game with the wrong style, don’t be afraid to leave it isn’t for you – the host will understand
    • Most new games are players 8 straight through, hit Andy at around level 17 – it’s a culture shock if you aren’t used to it. Follow the pace and routine set by the host - keep together with the group unless a split has been specifically agreed.
    • The host should offer a break to allow for considered stat point distribution
    • If you can fast user switch, most hosts will be happy to have a rush through Act III even if they quest everywhere else; make the offer to the group
    Run Specifics
    • Host should declare the drop situation if anyone new enters
    • If someone is teleporting, they won’t be reading the messages. Wait until they have finished
    • If you are going to sit out a run, let everyone know so they don’t wait for you
    • Sort out your gear/potions while someone tele’s down or while the drops are being examined, not in the middle of Baal’s Minions unless you absolutely can’t avoid it
    • Turning up only for the Minions or just the Baal drop is really quite rude; MP or don’t, pick one
    • Even if underpowered, do something even if it is acting as a decoy or using static
    Rushes
    • It’s likely to be free in the SPF so try and be nice if it takes five attemps to find the Summoner *embarrassed cough*
    • In LoD only quests you need are:
      Act 1 - Andy
      Act 2 - Maggot, Viper, Summoner, Duriel
      Act 3 - Council, Memphy
      Act 4 - Diablo
      Act 5 - Ancients*, Baal
      *You need to be 20, 40, 60 (N, NM, Hell) to do the Ancients UNLESS someone else above that level gets the quest at the same time or you play Classic SP. Then you can convert the character to LOD in Act III Hell.
    • If you need to be near the kill to get the quest, it is often easier to die and don’t press escape. You get the quest and no one has to worry about keeping you alive
    • Give your rusher a Tomb of Town Portal or two; it’s a nice gesture

PvP
    • Be a suitable level
    • Know the rules and stick to them
    • Trash talk is not the same as outright insulting behaviour
    • Don’t lose!
    • OK, I need help with this one

Game down
    • Mutual congratulation/commiseration about drops/deaths
    • Host, thank the players for coming
    • Players, thank the host for hosting
    • Don't spend 20 minutes saying good bye particularly if the host wants to go to bed/dinner/on a date
    • Host post game down in the MP/PvP thread

2. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

There is actually an exception to the rules on grabbing and leaving. If for example the Zod did drop someone could grab it, leave and re-enter. That way the Zod is ''saved'' and can't be lost if the host unintentional drops suddenly or the one who grabbed the Zod gets an connection interrupt.

However, you should be carefull about this and it's good to let people know at the start of the game that this could happen. Your best bet if someone grabs and runs is to wait a couple of minutes, see if he comes back and not immediately close down the game and run for the forums to call names.

I will post the extended guide on PvP soon. I'm uh... waiting on a few people (*hint*) :azn:

------
    EDIT: I'm sorry. I should've mentioned first that this looks like a very well written guide. Nice comments on most things and quite acurate on what I've come across too in my limit MP sessions. Please, everyone, read it :smiley:

3. Zhao_Yue

Zhao_Yue IncGamers Member

Very well writting, good job on the good effort!

4. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

I don't MP but this is a very well written guide, probably the longest single post which I have read all the way though in a while :smiley:

This should either be stickied or put in the SPF FAQ asap.

5. aitrus

aitrus IncGamers Member

Great work Thyiad :thumbsup:

Must read again to see if something is missing :badteeth:

6. Liquid_Evil

Liquid_Evil IncGamers Member

But Thy...what if you're a badass rebel rulebreaker like myself??

Sharing drops, not leeching characters, and generally being polite would go against everything I stand for!

All seriousness aside, good work. Hopefully Sint will get off his monkey bum and get that PvP section posted.

7. XDoomasX

XDoomasX IncGamers Member

Nice work Thyiad:thumbsup:

Bah, I promise (for real this time), I will finish working on barb guide this weekend:rolleyes:

8. nubikoen

nubikoen IncGamers Member

Second that.

Now we need a guide on how to get those needing to read this one, read it.

Very nice writeup Thyiad :thumbsup:

9. SiTro

SiTro IncGamers Member

One of them already has.

Thanks for posting this Thyiad, it must have taken a while to flesh out but answered a few questions I'd been meaning to ask the next time I mp'ed.

*Adds to the calls for this to be stickied or mentioned in the existing stickies*

10. Pucho

Pucho Banned

Awesome guide thyad, well done :thumbsup:

11. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

you need to add that
    if zhao yue joins a game. the first hight rune goes to him or else he would PK everyone. also not mention high rune drops in games here zhao is

12. nex

nex IncGamers Member

Very nice, every newbie should read this :thumbsup:

Link to this thread this should be added to FAQ IMO.

*donates virtual chocolate*
    What? Yes, I know, it doesn't taste like a real thing but at least you don't have to count calories :tongue:

What BO? IIRC in that game we were debating things in town while you tried teleporting without BO :grin:

13. Suiling

Suiling Banned

BO=Battle Order i suppose..

Very good write out Thyiad. I hope chrischar can make more mp games and really looking forward to mp with you!

14. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

yes, Suiling, BO = Battle Orders

... or Body Odor, but that's only a problem if you're physically in the same room as your game-mates. :wink3:

Great writeup Thyiad. I don't MP, but if I decide to start I'll certainly revisit this thread first.

*Votes for Sticky*

15. BongoFury

BongoFury IncGamers Member

I've organized/run quite a few co-op questing games from the HC forum in times past (GAT Friends, 7-8 complete plays through from Blood Moor to Guardian, for one iteration we had 40-45 people playing twice a week). So perhaps I can add a few suggestions.

* The point of multiplayer/co-op play, is to play together. So the party should make a concerted effort to stick together. So don't run off ahead of everyone else, or don't dally along behind the peleton. To make it easier to stick together, you should establish some conventions that you will use throughout the session. For example, when starting a new area, wait till everyone is there before starting (it's easier to stick together if you start together). Then clear the area in a predetermined logical fashion. For example, turn right when entering a new area and work the area counter-clockwise (or turn left and work it clockwise).

* Everyone goes to town together. When someone needs repairs/potions/merc res announce it to the group and everyone will go to town together to do what they need. Wait at the TP/WP for the rest of the group to return before continuing on. Keep it as brief as possible and be aware of when your party mates are ready to start again and do not dally in town.

* Co-op play means working together. Do not play a character that will dominate the group and relegate the other players to loot gatherers. The synergy of various characters playing together is incredibly powerful, so you will not need an 'uber' character. In fact, co-op play is the ideal situation to play underpowered or support type characters. And working together as a group is a different experience from soloing, so enjoy it to the hilt.

Oh well, that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Let me sleep on it and maybe I'll think of some more. But overall, multiplayer is a blast in a good party, and is a totally different game from SP.

16. Thyiad

@All who have read this (+400 :thumbsup:); thank you for taking the time to do so, I hope it enhances your playing experiences

@All who have commented - I appreciate your taking the time to comment and am delighted by the favourable comments that have been made. I'm making a few final alterations based on your input.

@Sint - RE Zod drop; I thought I had covered it with "don't over react" but I've added a little about perming. I was going for brevity on the grounds that bullet points are more likely to be read. :D And yes, gib PvP help lol.

@Bongo - Already written in the Playtime section:
    • MP is about cooperation and teamwork
    • Follow the pace set by the host (although I have added another note to the Questing section.)
    • If you need to go afk/town for potions/get a cat off a sideboard – let everyone know
    • Plan ahead, if someone is off to town for potions, go with them and repair your weapon. Party trips to town mean more killing time (but I have added a bit about not taking too long and re-iterated keeping together)
    In the Joining a game section
    • If you have a weak character; ask the others how they feel about it
    This will be changed to
    If you have a weak character, let the others know and ask if they are ok with it

Many thanks again all. Happy MPing.

17. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

I think I got in all of the edits requested by Thyiad. :smiley:

This guide is now linked to in the FAQ sticky under the About Our Forum section.

Thanks for all the work you put into this. Thyiad. :girly:

18. ihimi

ihimi IncGamers Member

??

what does mp stand for im kind of a noob at d2 i have 20 necro

i wanna play ip connnection but it won't let me join the other persons party

19. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

MP = muliplayer

You will need to make sure that your firewall is set up to allow access through port 4000, and if you are hosting and use a router you will have to set up portforwarding as well. The "Posting a Game" section of this guide has some links that can help you out with these settings.

20. Thyiad

MP is actually defined in the glossary section of the guide.
    Do you mean it won't let you join their party or their game?
    Easy steps: Turn off Windows Firewall, open port 4000 using your routers' admin panel or www.portforward or use hamachi.