Movie Riddle Thread

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
Quote a movie scene and ask about which one it is, as soon as the previous question has been answered. I will start with an easy one.

I don't deny that my heart has desired this a lot.
Instead of a dark ruler, you would have a queen!
Not dark, but fair and dreadful like the dawn.
Treacherous like the sea, stronger than the foundations of the earth.
All will love me and despair!
(Dramatic music)

This is one of the most intense movie moments ever for me. Which scene of which movie is it?

Well OK, translated back from German, so it might not be the original English text, but I doubt that it would have been more epic in any other language!

Last edited:

Noodle

Lady Galadriel in Fellowship of the Ring, refusing the one ring offered by Frodo.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

LozHinge the Unhinged

Diabloii.Net Member
Lady Galadriel in Fellowship of the Ring, refusing the one ring offered by Frodo.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
The Godfather. One of the capos utters this immortal line.

"Do you have a gun I hope?". A film from a wonderful director who is also a master of off-beat dialogue.

kestegs

D3 Monk Moderator
I've never actually seen it, but to be fair I was 3 when it came out. The actors that are in it are so young then! Looks hilarious though, will have to watch it.

Amra

Diabloii.Net Member
I still got nothing.

Your faith in humanity is like road kill. You could probably cook it and eat it but you will need a lot of fortitude to digest it.

LozHinge the Unhinged

Diabloii.Net Member
OK, last clue and it's a complete give away:

"When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favourite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: 'Have ya paid your dues, Jack?' 'Yessir, the cheque is in the mail.'"

Had to google for an accurate quote, but I was pretty close just working from recollection :)

kestegs

D3 Monk Moderator
Alright, I actually watched the movie last night, so I can officially say that it's Big Trouble in Little China. It was pretty good, a classic 80s/90s cheesy movie. I could never quite decide if it was supposed to be funny or serious though.

And moving on...
A movie that I used to really love, but haven't watched in 10 years or so:

"The only good bug is a dead bug! "

Last edited:

LozHinge the Unhinged

Diabloii.Net Member
Alright, I actually watched the movie last night, so I can officially say that it's Big Trouble in Little China. It was pretty good, a classic 80s/90s cheesy movie. I could never quite decide if it was supposed to be funny or serious though.

And moving on...
A movie that I used to really love, but haven't watched in 10 years or so:

"The only good bug is a dead bug! "
Heh. Could be one of two films I can think of.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Heh. Could be one of two films I can think of.
Far too simple (Starship Troopers) unless you're pretending that crappy sequels quoting the same line repeatedly somehow counts.

Pretty sure it wasn't a trick question re: John Goodman in Arachnophobia.

Assuming I'm correct, here's mine:
"You're kind to strangers and children, and when you stand in the snow you look like an angel."

kestegs

D3 Monk Moderator
Nah, you've got it there. I figured it sounded like a few other movies, as it's a fairly vague line.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Nah, you've got it there. I figured it sounded like a few other movies, as it's a fairly vague line.
Arachnaphobia was fun, and you're right that there are a few that might be close.

So mine ought to be pretty easy. I realized I need to watch it again.

EDIT probably need to spice the game up & use more obscure movies after mine, which is pretty throwaway.

LozHinge the Unhinged

Diabloii.Net Member
Far too simple (Starship Troopers) unless you're pretending that crappy sequels quoting the same line repeatedly somehow counts.

Pretty sure it wasn't a trick question re: John Goodman in Arachnophobia.
My first thought was it was a Tommy Lee Jones line from the first MIB but my money would have been on the first ST movie.

Assuming I'm correct, here's mine:
"You're kind to strangers and children, and when you stand in the snow you look like an angel."
Love that film. I've watched it again and again ;)

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
My first thought was it was a Tommy Lee Jones line from the first MIB but my money would have been on the first ST movie.
Nah, it's the whole jingoistic feel from Verhoeven. He's really good with that.
Love that film. I've watched it again and again ;)
There ya go; Loz wins. I figured it was about time (note the calendar, for those of you who aren't in the U.S.)... line is at 2:43

LozHinge the Unhinged

Diabloii.Net Member
Cool bears.
I'll wait a while for someone else to jump in with a line from a film - I've had a turn :)

Agree with Merv about Verhoeven. Amongst his flaws, he's a whizz with the fascism tongue-poke thing (PV, not Merv). Yes, I'd buy that for a dollar.