Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Most used necro?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Ali Babarian, Jun 22, 2008.

?

Which necro do you use most?

1. Skele/Fishy/Summonmancer

39 vote(s)
    66.1%
  2. Bonemancer

11 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. Poisonmancer

5 vote(s)
    8.5%
  4. Poison/Summonmancer

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Bone/Summonmancer

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Ali Babarian

Ali Babarian IncGamers Member

Most used necro?

The background for this poll is that I started a Fishymancer and by level 45 I was finding him boring and also the cookie-cutter, obvious choice. So I have been thinking about restarting with a more interesting Build than the fishy, but I don't really want to go with whatever everyone else chooses (because that is unoriginal) so I decided to post this question:

What is the build of your Necro which gets used most, both PVP and PVM?

2. Wizdomm

Wizdomm IncGamers Member

Re: Most used necro?

Summoners get used most in PvM I would think.

Boner get used BY FAR most in PvP.

Poison necros do pretty good in either PvM or PvP (vastly underrated as a PvP build).

3. Feonn

Feonn IncGamers Member

Almost nobody plays a Poison...I loved mine, and I'm quiete sure I'm going to rebuild one :D

4. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez IncGamers Member

here's my pvm build... a little unoriginal, but tbh, i enjoy the pace of PvM with that neccy. and he does what i built him to do: rake in big piles of gold, very fast.

i've had bone necs in the past and enjoyed them.

if i had the time, i'd build a pvp poison neccy. they can be surprisingly tough opponents when made properly.

5. fallen angel of satan

fallen angel of satan IncGamers Member

poison nec is without a doubt the most fun :)

bone necs are pvp oriented and summoners usually pvm oriented, poisonmancer bridges the gap between the 2.

my poisonmancer has 1 point in every summon skill and gets 7 of each skele and 17 revive, thats more than enough of an army for me.

their weakest point is killing act bosses, but with my skeles golem and merc they die fast, hell mode is easier on my poison nec than on my bliz sorc :) by quite a long way.

and unless people stack poison resistance in pvp 1 nova sends them from max to 1 life where any old damage from aura or anything kills them :)

6. Ali Babarian

OK, I'm seeing that Poisonmancer is the way to go for all-round ability and uniqueness - the latter of which is very much a shortcoming of the Skelliemancer I have at the moment. However, I enjoy having an Army of creatures: Therefore I am going to go for Poison/Summon - thanks for all the replies - :thumbup:

7. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Melee/bowmancers are even more rare than poisonmancers. And peronally I think poison nova is overrated. People say that it's much better than poison dagger and poison explosion, but its total damage is so low. When I got poison nova I almost longed back to the poison dagger/poison explosion times. Poison nova is flexible, but mana-hungry and weak compared to the other poison skills

8. Hello Jim

Hello Jim IncGamers Member

poison nova it underrated in PvP since it's probably the easiest elemental to stack. And when stacking a poisonmaner has pretty much not chance of winning a duel.

Unoriginal is an ugly word. Yes, 33% of Bnet are Summoners, but that's because they are probably the most effective build and without a doubt the best build to start the ladder (along with a meph running sorc maybe). Being original in this game is tricky since there's a reason those build are commanly used- they are good. A non coockie cutter build will not be as effective as a cookie cutter one and most of the times will be very expensive. A good example is "The pacifist". you won't see more than 1 or 2 in the whole ladder but they are completly useless.

9. Ali Babarian

So, I have started maxing Poison skills on my build, but I have encountered a Dilemma. The way I see it I have two paths to go down at this time: Skeletal Mages and Dim Vision. Skeleton Warriors are not an option - I already have a Fishy for that purpose.

Mages would give extra elemantal damage which would be boosted by Lower Resist, and could act as a meat shield along with Gumby and Revives.

Dim Vision could be employed by casting Dim Vision on a pack of monsters, then positioning the necro for a good Nova, then casting Nova then Lower Resist then when the nova has hit cast Dim Vision again; and just repeat until the monsters are all dead. The problem with this being less damage than with Mages and a mana cost of 30 points per second! Bosses would be problematic, as would PvP.

Any advice?

10. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Warrior are much better than mages, but if you want to sacrifice effectiveness for originalness go for mages. Remember that if you want to increase the mages damage, skeleton mastery increases damage more than points in raise skeleton. Mages have a missile level, depending on the level of raise mage and mastery. The missile level is: Skeleton mastery + ((raise mage -2)/2)
    So you take your raise mage level, subtract 2 from it, then divide it by 2 and add your skeleton mastery. So 16 mastery and 16 raise mage becomes missile level 23.

11. NumtyDoo

NumtyDoo IncGamers Member

Thats weird, my Poison/Summon killed everything with 1 nova, even in hell. With the exception of P-dagger on a boss to conserve mana, why wouldn't you use nova?

I don't think that is right. Most guides say max skeleton/mage before mastery as life and damage both will be higher than if you do it the other way around. If you check it out on the pet calc, it backs me up on this. Maxing raise skellie/mage is better than maxing mastery first (more life, damage, and more minions).

12. paul leung

paul leung IncGamers Member

"The pacifist"?what is that?

13. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

A build by MongoJerry. He used Terror and other AI curses to herd monsters into a Bone Prison. Killed only Act Bosses and monsters needed for advancement. We had an article on this build called Maldar, the Magnificent, a.k.a. Maldar, the Pacifist Hero, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

14. Hello Jim

Hello Jim IncGamers Member

Man, you totally stole my thunder:)
    I wanted introduce Maldar. He's just the best character I have ever seen.

And guide maybe tell you to max Raise so you will have more skelies first as a meat shield? Why don't you use the skills caculator?

15. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

You still can introduce him if you can find the article.

16. NumtyDoo

I did, I quoted myself below...

17. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

The reason people tell you to max mages first is because you get more of them. If you want proof that mastery increases mage damage more than raise mage levels do, look at this page: http://www.diabloii.net/wiki/Summon_Skeleton_Mage

18. NumtyDoo

I believe that your chart may be out dated, not sure, they have been updating this stuff lately. I agree that the individual mage damage will be higher doing mastery before mage. But if you count in the damage done by more mages, your total damage per second comes out higher maxing mages before mastery. you also have more meat shields and more total HP doing mages first.

Use this calculator...

http://tph.tuwien.ac.at/~gottwald/necro_pet_calculator.html

19. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Yes, I never said it's smart to max mastery first. I will also max mages first. Just wanted to inform him.
    Well, If you are high level and have good gear, nova may be better. But when I was level 33 untwinked in Nihlathaks lair, and I saw a single skeleton (of the charging type), coming at me, it felt such a waste using 5 novas , which cost 20 mp each, instead of 2 poison daggers for 10 mp each.