Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Most underpowered builds

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Cius, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Cius

Cius IncGamers Member

Most underpowered builds

I guess this turns into what are the most underpowered skills. One could always pick an impossible character like a naked paladin wielding Wirts leg who uses only defensive aura's.

Anyways. My nominees are:

Amazon: Spearzon. They seldom work in untwinked form.
    Assasin: Not sure, don't know them well
    Barbarian: Singer
    Druid: Arctic blast druid (spirit of barbs is a close second)
    Necromancer: Curses only mancer in single play.
    Paladin: Holy fire
    Sorceress: Inferno sorc

What are your nominations?

2. Skullbash

Skullbash IncGamers Member

Re: Most underpowered builds

Phoenix Strike sins would be far stronger if not for the next delay penalties and +% damage not working.

3. IntellectSucks

IntellectSucks IncGamers Member

Golemmancer.
    Passivezon.
    Tri-elementalist sorc.

4. Pillz

Pillz IncGamers Member

Mojomancer.

5. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

Tri-elementalists aren't underpowered...

6. DayDream

DayDream IncGamers Member

Martial arts sin. :p I've never seen one yet unless you count shadow master as one.

7. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

Any build that can do nothing better than a normal attack. (eg. a paladin with max resist fire, resist lightning, resist cold, salvation, and prayer, or a zon with max D/A/E/inner sight/slow missile)

8. BAMFSpecialOps

BAMFSpecialOps IncGamers Member

Hammerdins!!!!!!!!!!!! had to say it.

psn dagger is close to bein considered underpowered.

9. accipite

accipite IncGamers Member

elemental bowazon.
    the killing speed is superb when dealing with non-cold immune monster, but lots of problem drive me mad frequently. mana, baal, etc

10. phoenixhawk

phoenixhawk IncGamers Member

Here's an idea... a dueling contest of underpowered builds. Probably, overall defensive abilities would count for far more than offense.

11. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

I saw one of these ripping through Hell mode faster than a few of the other cookie cutter builds.

12. Skullbash

Skullbash IncGamers Member

I used to have one, and she was pretty good pvm once you get the hang of phoenix strike 3rd+2nd charge, but they are really nerfed by low AR and next delay penalties.

13. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Unless you make completely nonsensical characters, no builds are really underpowered.

14. BobCox

BobCox IncGamers Member

I have a MS Sin, give me 3 charges...

15. dainbramage

dainbramage IncGamers Member

Actually they're pretty damn good in pvm, and only a charged striker can take down bosses faster (though excessive meteor stacking puts you at rather high risk of dropping a game).

Fire druid, and Yes I Went There.

16. Bliphgar

Bliphgar IncGamers Member

Guys, it's most underpowered, not most broken.

Any build that uses monsters against themselves, like thorns paladins and Blood golemancers have been rendered all but useless due to monster HP/damage ratios being jacked.

17. Neksja

Neksja IncGamers Member

Not true. Stun monsters for 6 seconds and do what you want for them, underpowered? Heck, even I did untwinked hc singer barb to Guardian at first try (I'm quite a kamikaze player). Sure, he ain't fast as lightsorc, but definitely not underpowered IMO.

18. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Some builds really "shouldn't" work. A caster barb is completely the opposite of what the barb is about, it doesn't do a lot of damage, but it has great utility, so it's fine. Glacial spike isn't much damage, but it splash freezes. Some skills are only for occasional utility, like cleansing. I have played most of these and they were fun, although disapointing. So, among builds that should work:

Spearzon: Why use the lightning skills in melee when you could throw javs from a distance? Physical spearzons are even worse.
    Golemancer: All these golem skills improve each golem, but at the end of the day you have a slow 1k damage fire golem.
    Skeletal mage: A little supplemental damage for melee skeles, but absolutely outclassed by them.
    Nova: For such a dangerous skill to use, it can't compete in damage with the projectile chain lightning.
    Fire traps: Even without the bug, still not that great damage.
    MA sins: Not bad, but it's still much less damage than a zealer for frenzier, topped off with worse defense.
    Elemental claw sins: I made one with somewhere around level 42 skills. Did less damage than a sorc, but also has to worry about AR, getting three charges, and taking damage!
    Bear druids: No good combat skill, defense is the only advantage over a wolf.
    Elemental fire druid: A sorc has strong projectile fire skills, why should area damage-over-time druid fire skills that druids have to be so weak compared to them?
    Druid summoners: Compare the damage between a summoner necro and a druid summoner. It's not even close, plus the druid has less meat shields to protect him. And there are no set, unique, or runeword items with +druid summon skills.
    Throw barbs: Utterly outclassed by bow zons, and they have to run to repair a lot even with self-repairing throwing weapons.
    Holy bolt: Less damage than fireball, doesn't do splash damage, and only works on around 1/3rd of enemies. Shouldn't the skill devoted to undead killing be better than most sorc skills at it?
    Sacrifice: You'd think the only skill that hurts you would also do massive damage, right? Topping at 8 FPS, it's less damage than the speedy zeal.

19. razen

razen IncGamers Member

agree with merick. defensive skill aren't "builds", so you can't consider them "underpower"

or else, it would be a retarded debate centering about "holy bold pally" or "why not a all dodge zon?

also, when talking about builds, i am also assuming that it can be fully geared with the best stuff and still be ineffective. with all that criteria said, here is what i think is the most UNDER powered builds: (of course, under power doesn't mean they are unplayable, just a really big hassle to play with them)

1) spearzon (i think i am like the 10th guy that mentioned this, + the fact that nobody in bnet ever use one. just from those 2 facts along should tell you something)
    2) poison dagger necro
    3) melee sorc
    4) the phoenix whatever sin, but that's only because its bugged, so i was dubious to put it here)

spearzon does way too little dmg for wielding no defense
    poison dagger. poison just isn't fast enough in hell
    melee sorc. this is more because of inherint character flaw that sorcs just aren't designed to have the hps to take hits, so this is a little dubious to be put along side the others
    phoenix sin. same as above, it's bugged... so...

so i guess... only spearzon and psn dagger necro have legitimate claim

(o and summon druid... they are WAY underpowered as well, though i think that's also debatable since i don't know if blizzard intended druid summons to be more like necro summon, or mere auxilary? the official "job description" did say they are merely "companions"... sorta implying that druid still have to be the main boss. if that's the case, then cross this one out)

20. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Can't the runeword "Treachery" which procs venom make psndagger viable? I can't remember for the life of me how it worked, and I've never built one.