Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Most profitable MF runs?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by J Mo, Sep 4, 2006.

1. J Mo

J Mo IncGamers Member

Most profitable MF runs?

Hey all, I'm just getting into ladder and I was wondering which areas would be most profitable to run for obtaining some good quality high lvl items. Would lvl 85+ areas like pits or wsk drop more high end items or perhaps running bosses like meph, diablo and baal, or should I run shenk, eldritch, and pindle? Also, are travs worth doing on mf runs? Thanks for any advice.

2. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

If you want to run items for profit, run organs.
    If you want to mf, the pits are a bigger gamble but could yield something really nice. Meph will give you consistent uniques that are only worth a small amount.
    Trav is very nice, lots of gold, and they have inherit mf. The disadvantage would their difficulty for many builds.

NM trav is the place in the game to get grand charms, and they are very good for rolling skillers. They also drop lots of gems. And I got two SOJs from NM trav in the span of two weeks once.

3. Dystopianday

Dystopianday IncGamers Member

I love Trav myself, massive gold, probably the same chances for unique/set/rare amoung all of them as for an act boss, and a decent chance to find a good rune, too. Found an ist, once. :>

Profit's all in the keys, of course. I'm just sorry I like Tristing so much, because if I'd sold all the organ sets I've had, I'd be halfway to completely rich.

4. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Andy, Mephy, and Pindle should give you a steady stream of PGem/low-mid rune worthy items. After you gather yourself a decent trade stash, make yourself a Pit runner or organ runner for more profit.

5. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

Hell cows.

Elite armors, elite poleaxes, and pally shields drop like flies in a full game.

6. Cyanide Koolaid

Cyanide Koolaid Banned

where do you run for organs? I've never had any organs pieces actually, lol.

7. Evrae Altana

8. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

Shenk eldritch pindle plus travi makes a good fast magic find run.Although you cant get some of the elite uniques from trav they make up for it with the amount of items dropped.If you have a barb with item find so much better.
    My best charms from trav include a 31 life druid ele gc and a 290poison sc.

9. J Mo

J Mo IncGamers Member

Okay, I have a mf hammerdin, using wiz and 35 fcr 45 res p shield spirit for 75 fcr breakpoint and rest in mf. I have around 360 mf. I have been running pits for a little bit now, I ran about 5 in 5-8 player games and around 10 solo. My question is, should I keep doing pits or is there a better more efficient way to find more stuff and get rich, besides organ hunting since I have no smiter :( Also, if it is best to do pits than what is the best char to do pit runs with and should I go solo for faster killing speed or in 8 player games for more drops? Thanks.

10. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

If you want, you can get a character that can kill a lot of things quickly. Run pits during a full Baal game or something.
    And you can just run for keys to sell.

11. plasmo

plasmo IncGamers Member

If you're looking for decent gear for yourself, running Meph seems like the best bet. Two tricks are the moat trick for weak sorcs and creating the game with a character who has beaten Meph, entering with a character who hasn't and then killing him with the latter character; it will allow you to keep getting the better quest drop. If I do this, I occasionally kill the cow king, too (character A has killed Meph and not the cow king, so he makes the game and the red cow portal; character B has not killed Meph for the quest but has killed the cow king).

If you want to get rich by trading, I've heard rerolling and trading skill charms is the best route, although I always get annoyed by it before I roll anything good.

Trav is the best for getting gold and then gambling, although again, I've never really done well with this strategy because I get bored with all the crap I gamble.

Crafting can be decent, especially if you're above level 93 to craft amulets. Sometimes gloves and boots can be good, too. Same problem as the above two, though; lots of failures for a few keepers.

I prefer running around in cows and finding items, such as socketed items. For some reason, I've never gotten sick of cows, even though that's all I did in 1.09, too.

Organ runs probably take way too much time considering how little the average Hellfire will net you with everybody else doing the same.

I have also self-rushed 3 characters at a time for hellforges with a 4th character (although it can be a pain to set up on 1 computer), and that was fairly decent, although you'll never get a high rune that way. A few of the quests along the way can be helpful, too (imbue diadems, socketing, saving act 5 barbs for runes, etc).

Although, in the end, if you consider that time = money, then by far the most profitable "area" is ebay. Say you make $10 / hour; D2 stuff on ebay is really cheap now since nobody is playing much anymore (ah, the memories of a WF going for $400), and that $10 will buy you way more items than you could ever find in an hour. Of course it will ruin the game for you and you'll be a slimy troll, but you did ask.

12. sunflowersmooth

sunflowersmooth IncGamers Member

Wind force for 400$? Damnnnn. That isn't right! I can't imagine people actually buying items off of ebay (although I have met a few) and even more unbelievably spending hundreds of dollars on a single item. Diablo must have been huge back then. I wish I played that long ago. Nowadays, diablo is more often left collecting dust in the closet by most people outside of this forum.

The hype must have been fun.

13. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

Actually I recall back when lod first came out seeing a guy in us west trade room trying to sell 2 windforce for $1600.:shocked: real dollars on ebay......hmm I hate dupes but I hate ebay also.....:scratch:

14. Evrae Altana

Now you're lucky to get 2 dollars for a Windforce on Ebay. :rolleyes:

15. IntelligentX

IntelligentX IncGamers Member

I do baal runs, although I don't have much pgems or runes but baal do gives me cool items. But plain baal run will not satisify me.
    Baal with quest drop IS satisifying me. :laugh: