Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Most powerful single player self found character?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Kasceis, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Kasceis

Kasceis Diabloii.Net Member

My cousin and I are doing a full 2-player LAN game here soon. I know hammerdin is the most powerful but I need a good second character. I was thinking either summon necromancer or lightning javazon.

2. Baltha

Baltha Diabloii.Net Member

Fishymancer is great, but I'm not sure if I would play a summoner in LAN. I think I'd go with Trapsin. Or Blizzard, since Hammerdin can kill immunes. Meteorb would be good too.

LF zon is not that great self-found because it depends greatly on Titan's.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  3. Kasceis

I have a lvl 75 Amazon single player that is great without titans. I'm not sure about trapsin, I had one of those that felt pretty weak even with my leaf staff.

4. jonnyphive

jonnyphive Diabloii.Net Member

A leaf staff suggests to me that you were using a fire trapsin... the lightning/death sentry line of skills/synergies is vastly more powerful (especially in nightmare/hell... a fire trapper for normal followed by a respec would do pretty well).

5. JoeBruce

JoeBruce Diabloii.Net Member

So many build combos, so little time.

I think the real strategy is to find builds that compliment each other. A powerhouse build (e.g. Hammerdin) probably would not go well with a Werebear Druid - the latter just becomes a walking tank. So two fast killers can be a good team. (I like the idea of a Lightning Trapsin if one person goes Hammerdin, but the Trapsin really just becomes a killer of rare magic immunes.)

If you're willing to sacrifice fast killing speed and just enjoy the 2-player experience, there are plenty of great complimentary (slightly goofy) builds. Immolation Arrow zon and Freezealot pally; Bone necro and just about any barb or melee druid; dual assassins (martial arts/traps); two single-element sorcs (different elements, obviously); etc...

I've got to disagree with your wording, there. Titan's Revenge is certainly an ideal weapon for Lightning Fury, but the build doesn't depend on it. An LF zon could do fine with a cracked javelin. They are skill dependent, not item dependent.

Zyr likes this.
  6. Fruit

Fruit Diabloii.Net Member

It's hard to recommend anything to go with a Hammerdin, simply because he has no weaknesses (other than Magic immunes).
    With other combos, you can synergize by being strong where the other is weak, either in terms of tanking damage or in dealing it.
    The only real problem the Paladin has is Baal's second wave because of their Magic immunity, so as long as the second character deals another type, you're good.

A way of slowing enemies can help the Paladin out for sure, but I wouldn't "main" anything that Freezes, because you still want enemies to move towards the Paladin, into his hammers.

I would avoid a summonmancer if the first character is a Hammerdin, since as Hammerdin you want enemies to walk towards you, into your hammers, getting all that damage in. Summons will make sure that enemies will scatter, and ignore the Paladin.

As meta as it may be, I'd say a Sorceress is one of the best picks to complement a Hammerdin, simply because she can teleport around, either to "skip" areas like Maggot Lair, or when you guys do runs together. Another thing she has is cold skills, which help with the Paladin's survivability. Static Field is also fantastic!
    A trapper with Death Sentry would probably work great. Any other ranged character is in my opinion also a good option also, be it Poison Nova, Bowazon, Javazon, etc. (Physical Bowazon would of course benefit from the Concentration aura, so there would be some synergy at least.)

I wouldn't go with a melee character personally because, like summons, that might prevent enemies from walking into the hammers, lowering the Paladin's effectiveness.
    But physical melee characters would of course benefit from Concentration, so it could still work very well. A Barbarian using Whirlwind and Battle Orders, who stays close to the Paladin for example.

But essay's aside.. just play what you feel like. :p I've made the mistake before of insisting on "party synergy", and ended up not having as much fun. It's not worth it.

ioupainmax and Zyr like this.
  7. Baltha

Feel free to disagree. I mean, yes. She well be fine with a cracked javelin. But I think there's no way LFzon is "the most powerful single player self found character" as requested by the OP. Untwinked Blizzard and Trapsin beats LF to obliteration hands down.

Fruit likes this.
  8. Zyr

Zyr Diabloii.Net Member

I found plenty of weaknesses in my Hammerdins (two Guardians and a Conqueror in Hell Act V):

- Hammers are hard for me to aim.

- Hammers can't reach some of the most dangerous enemies, e. g., Gloams and Archers.

- Hammers are useless in some confined spaces, e. g., the Maggot Lair and Pindleskin's hangout.

I wouldn't have two Guardian Hammerdins, and a third Conqueror in Hell Act V, if I didn't have a partner adept at driving Taunting Barbarians. Taunt makes aiming Hammers easy: Just stand shoulder to shoulder with the Barb, spin up the Hammer field, and cackle (reverently, of course) as the ebil critters are sucked in and fall. Ranged attacks are shut down, except for bosses, whom the Barb can Leap Attack, Battle Cry, and finish off with whatever available attack skill is appropriate. Yes, a Hammerdin can be pretty efficient in the Maggot Lair with one hard point in Smite-- until he hits the brick wall presented by PI Black Locusts, and he has no room to spin up Hammers. But the Barb can handle them easily with one hard point in Berserk.

I cannot recommend this pairing strongly enough.

T72on1, ioupainmax, Noodle and 3 others like this.
  9. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

I'd pair a conviction paladin with a lightning fury amazon or a lightning trapsin

The paladin can also supply cleansing for heal and curse removal and use smite for crowd controll. The paladin can also be in charge (no pun intended) of having a lower resist wand for even more resistance reduction. Simply a support character - like a better version of a Infinity wearing Act 2 merc :p Here is a version of such paladin that I "usually" do on early ladders when I have a stable group of friends to play with

Another fun support character is a barb with Battle orders and Leap/Leap attack - leap & leap attack can stun and knockback monsters an entire screen making a safe heaven for the damage dealer char. The Barb can also use find item to further enhance the probability of your team getting good drops for gearing up. This barb would be very good to pair up with any ranged char.

Another fun combo is an Enchantress with any melee char, or a summoner. The sorc will be in charge of teleporting and setting up strategically placed town portals, increase damage of you and any minions/mercs and can also use frozen orb for dealing with fire immunes. I made a whole playtrough of such sorc, but she only had the merc to give enchant to.

The Hammerdin is a strong char in his own right, but is not "the most powerful char" in any ways. The Hammerdin has furthermore no advantages in team play others that his sheer damage output. Take the opportunity to use less used skills and builds in Single Player set-up to really make a strong and fun team journey I'd say

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Gynli, Noodle, Zyr and 1 other person like this.
  10. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged Diabloii.Net Member

I was part of a team of Summoner Necro, Enchantress Sorc and Strafezon for a campaign.

The synergies of this combination were amazing, we had an absolute hoot.

jonnyphive likes this.
  11. drmalawi

The best thing about titans is the replenish mod :p

Zyr likes this.
  12. srrw

srrw Diabloii.Net Member

Fireball Sorcy
    Destroys everything that's not fire immune. Supplies Static Field for Bosses.

Blizzard Sorcy
    Destroys everything that's not cold immune. Supplies Static Field for Bosses.

Trap/Kick Hybrid (Light Dancer)
    Destroys Bosses with Kicks. Provides crowd control which Paladins lack. Death Sentry for mass destruction.

Any CE Necromancer
    Screen cleaning curse machine.

Support Barb
    Battle Orders, Shout, Battle Command, Find Item, Leap/Leap Attack need I say more?

Furyzon
    No need for any uber gear. Rep quantity javelins are enough. CS is great against Bosses.

Smiter/Zealot
    Destroys Bosses. Supplies mercs with Fanaticism. Very helpful in tight spaces where Hammerdins suck.

There may be more :p

13. Kasceis

We definitely want two fast killers and no support builds, with only two people it would be no fun playing support. Kinda leaning toward holy fire Paladin respec to hammers and fire sorc respec to frozen orb.

14. drmalawi

Frozen orb is garbage compared to Blizzard

15. Kasceis

Blizzard and Orb yeah

16. Zyr

Zyr Diabloii.Net Member

Ah, I see now: Instead of cooperating with each other, you want to compete with each other. Sorry for misunderstanding.

17. ziambe

ziambe Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I see no one mentioned the true, ultimate build to complement a hammerdin:
    Another Hammerdin
    :)

drmalawi and srrw like this.
  18. Baltha

235 battlenet bots like this.

Albatross, zemaj, Zyr and 2 others like this.
  19. Kasceis

This sounds fun. Was it viable in hell? We won't have an Amazon though.

20. Gynli

Gynli Diabloii.Net Member

I'll just slip in my suggestion here; elemental zealot and a bone necro.

1. Equipment - Caster gear, physical gear
    - Items in the game broadly separates into two categories: caster gear and physical dmg gear. Because D2 has shared drop, you want to differentiate the needed gear between the two classes.

End-game level of physical dmg gear is harder to get than caster gear in general, so elemental zealot will probably do much better than a pure fana zealot. If you find a good end-game weapon though, you can always respec into a fana zealot later.

2. Skill targets (single vs multi)
    For team play, you probably want one person to specialize in one, and let the other class specialize in the other, so that one person doesn't dominate the game play by himself (imagine dual-tree sorc with a barb lol). Zeal is great for delivering CB to high hp single targets like Act Bosses, and CE is obviously great for clearing a screenful of small critters.

3. Auras and Curses
    Paladin and Necro innately has the two things we all want in whatever build we play: auras and curses. Lotta utility auras on the paladin - frost zealot is an option for the extra slow - and amp/decrep/dim vision/attract/etc for all the flexible choice of curses.

4. It lacks Teleport
    Sorc with teleport is great and all, but i feel you shouldn't want to skip areas if your goal is to play through the game.

EDIT: reading through the comments again, conviction zealot with poison necro seems like a realy good idea too. Zealot just needs to find a fast swinging weapon with some CB and stack up on any elemental damage he finds along the way.

EDIT2: idk why i was fixating on zealots. Conviction smiter in earlier comments by @drmalawi seems like a better idea.

/2cents. :D

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Southpaw8668 likes this.