Most Overrated/Underrated runeword

sunbearie

Diabloii.Net Member
I must be recycling a lot of people's arguements by now :)

Over-rated: HoTO and CTA. Why? because people keep placing them in normal items overlooking all the other "melee" mods since they only use them for casters.

Underrated: any of the 1.09 runewords like many mentioned here already. Zheyre/Melody are excellent runewords for leveling and Silence is a fantastic runeword that gets overshadowed by BoTD etc.

water_moon

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, since I have trouble rembering names & dates, much less nonsensical letters strung together in a particualar order, I have to concentrate on one thing at a time. Since before I knew about ATMA it's been DolUmBerIst. All high runes are saved to get cubed up into the ones I need. So basicly I really like low to mid level rune words like Steel and Strength. Stealth is also nice for casters in some lovely mage plate.

Gohanman

Diabloii.Net Member
sunbearie said:
Over-rated: HoTO and CTA. Why? because people keep placing them in normal items overlooking all the other "melee" mods since they only use them for casters.
CtA I tend to agree, but HotO?

+3 To All Skills
+40% Faster Cast Rate
+75% Damage To Demons
+100 To Attack Rating Against Demons
Adds 3-14 Cold Damage, 3 sec. Duration (Normal)
7% Mana Stolen Per Hit
+10 To Dexterity
Replenish Life +20
Increase Maximum Mana 15%
All Resistances +30-40 (varies)
Level 4 Oak Sage (25 Charges)
Level 14 Raven (60 Charges)
+50% Damage To Undead

WHAT melee mods? A little ED for Demons and Undead? A tiny cold damage? HotO wouldn't be a viable end-game melee weapon no matter what you put it in. And with a required level of 55, you can't use it as an early-game weapon.

sunbearie

Diabloii.Net Member
Gohanman said:
WHAT melee mods? A little ED for Demons and Undead? A tiny cold damage? HotO wouldn't be a viable end-game melee weapon no matter what you put it in. And with a required level of 55, you can't use it as an early-game weapon.
My bad on that. Blame it on my crazy urge to use every mods posssible on a weapon. If I actually get the runes for a HOTO, I'll want to place it in an elite weapon for a melee/caster hybride.

Fafner

Diabloii.Net Member
necrolemming said:
Wizspike is a cheap alternative, although I love my HotO.

@Fafner: How usable are WWsins outside of PvP?
Give me an Ohm and I'll tell you (Actually I just need a Gul equivalent now, if I cube my mals, ist, guls, which won't happen until I find a dream claw).

The high magic damage and potentially good ED, plus the skills you'd bring with it make it very interesting. I'm not even sure of what build it would be the best in.

That shredsin PVM build seems to require a Fury claw/Jah, which makes it worth less than electrical energy need to keep it in memory, at least for SP. I'll read it more in depth when I can actually make the claw.

FuriousD

Diabloii.Net Member
I would agree with those who said black is underrated. As for overrated, hmmm there must be some hard to make ones that I will never have the runes to even consider.

slappy sam

Diabloii.Net Member
Overrated are Hoj and coh: Hoj for obvious reasons (it's not very good for the runes) and coh because of what Masas said. Basically for spellcasters, all it's got on vipermagi or some other cheap armor is more resists, tiny pdr, and 1 skill. Not enough to justify the runes, especially since a spellcaster should use either a wiz spike or a hoto, both which have between 30-75 resists right there. My sorc has max resist with vipermagi and no charms, so it's not impossible. Botd is also overrated :).

Underrated would be Enigma and Hoto for reasons already stated. Hoto is an awesome spellcaster weapon, the vex is not insanely rare like a zod of botd or something. Enigma... teleport is awesome, the skills are nice, the mf is great, the str is AWESOME. I really cant see a non-sorc spellcaster using coh over enigma...

I think people are missing what over and under rated really mean. In these forums, I have heard a lot of people say how great Lionheart is. Sure, its nice, but its not underrated. Is it really better than people in this forum say it is? I wouldn't say so. I think enigma is underrated because it really is an AWESOME armor; it can give you like 60 str points, teleport, mf, and 2 skills!! WOW! In my opinion, people on these boards don't give it enough credit just because the runes are too high. But that doesn't mean it sucks.

cft

Diabloii.Net Member
whomhead said:
Which weapon is better than HotO for a Hammerdin?
Wouldnt a +2 pally skills +3 Hammer +3 Conc sceptre be better? (maybe socketed with 2 UM's if you need resists?)

cft

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmm, this thread just makes me more convinced that Lionheart is overrated (also makes it pretty obvious that not many ppl agree with me :D ).

I dont think Lionheart is bad. It's nice. But the runes cost as much as a Smoke armor, and to my mind, Smoke is better.

Since like 5+ people in this thread are saying how great Lionheart is, that makes me think, that the Lionheart runeword is valued more that I think it's worth (and so I call it overrated).

Not trying to start a fight, just defending my reasoning...

Alien

Diabloii.Net Member
Some of my favorite runewords are Lionheart and Lore. Lionheart is an awesome armor for melee and ranged physical dmg characters and Lore is great early on for the +1 skill, energy and mana per kill.

Overrated would probably be HoJ because its not as good as the runes needed for it.

whomhead

Diabloii.Net Member
cft said:
Wouldnt a +2 pally skills +3 Hammer +3 Conc sceptre be better? (maybe socketed with 2 UM's if you need resists?)
That would increase your listed damage by a bit, but the 40 FCR on HotO will increase your total damage/time because it will almost certainly make you hit a new breakpoint or two.

NSXdreamer

Diabloii.Net Member
slappy sam said:
and coh because of what Masas said. Basically for spellcasters, all it's got on vipermagi or some other cheap armor is more resists, tiny pdr, and 1 skill. Not enough to justify the runes, especially since a spellcaster should use either a wiz spike or a hoto, both which have between 30-75 resists right there. My sorc has max resist with vipermagi and no charms, so it's not impossible.
What do you expect when you put a melee oriented armor on casters! :D

frosty

Diabloii.Net Member
slappy sam said:
Overrated are Hoj and coh: Hoj for obvious reasons (it's not very good for the runes) and coh because of what Masas said. Basically for spellcasters, all it's got on vipermagi or some other cheap armor is more resists, tiny pdr, and 1 skill. Not enough to justify the runes, especially since a spellcaster should use either a wiz spike or a hoto, both which have between 30-75 resists right there. My sorc has max resist with vipermagi and no charms, so it's not impossible. Botd is also overrated :).
CoH is for melee characters. I don't think there is any armor around that can beat CoH on resists, +ED, +skills and PDR. It is kinda expensive though.

edit: darn. pwned by nsx.

sunbearie

Diabloii.Net Member
cft said:
No no, always use 2 Ptopazs for extra mf!

In my book, it means the subjective value of the runeword is very high compared to its practical value rite. By that idea, HoJ is definitely not overrated in my book, sure expensive runes but fantastic mods in my opinion.

slappy sam

Diabloii.Net Member
CoH is for melee characters. I don't think there is any armor around that can beat CoH on resists, +ED, +skills and PDR. It is kinda expensive though.
True, and it's great for that, but I have seen (mostly on cattlenet), sorcs that use it(its like the best sorc armor for some unknown to me reason). Just a waste imo. I guess thats just because b.net is baaaad.

NSXdreamer

Diabloii.Net Member
slappy sam said:
True, and it's great for that, but I have seen (mostly on cattlenet), sorcs that use it(its like the best sorc armor for some unknown to me reason). Just a waste imo. I guess thats just because b.net is baaaad.
Still useful for caster just for the resist alone though. difference between 40 resist and 75 resist can mean either gloams kill you or you kill gloams.

Chimaira

Diabloii.Net Member
Overrated: Hmmm where to start...I'd probably go with Famine..but only because there are so many better places to spend a Jah...like Jah'ed Grandfather and such:) Seriously it's a nice runeword but with so many kickass high elemental damage weapons in 1.10 it's kind of redundant.

Underrated: A tie between Honor and Lionheart...Honor in an ethereal elite polearm is pretty kickass for a mercenary and dirt cheap.. Lionheart is so very nice and even the lack of defence can't bring me down. All the mods are so sweet, and the runes can actually be found if you're lucky/dedicated enough. My absolute Favourite runeword is Chains Of Honour...that thing is so godly.

Liquid_Evil

Diabloii.Net Member
Passion is pretty peachy for the runes required, just a Lem and you've got yourself an instant edge over Iron Maiden (Berserk). Malice's 100% OW is super keen. I am also a fan of Stone, it has HUGE defense (I've seen an ethereal one with over 3K) easily boosting Barb and Paladin defense into the 20,000 range. It also can synergize a Fire Claws bear with the Molten Boulder charges, just gg. I think Famine is a pretty sexy runeword personally, its like a Baranar's Star speeding out of control coked out of its mind, plus not many people have one so you'd get a style bonus. Though, I'll admit its pretty expensive. Hand of Justice and Eternity are also really expensive for their mods.

As for the Enigma - CoH debate, I'm gonna side with the Enigma crowd. Scaling strength makes it possible for base or very low str builds, meaning huge Vita pools. The runwalk is gravy (no one likes a slow char) and you save 9 small frw charms slots giving you a potential +180 extra life. Life after kill is an extremely good PvM mod and the Teleport to cap this thing? Your Hammerdin, Wind Druid, character in general, has now increased Baal run leveling time incredibly. In PvP it'll make for excellent manuvering. A CoH is just the fusion of a Laying of Hands and Gloom.

I also think Lionheart is better than Gloom and Smoke. The latter offer 20 more resistances and some decent defense? The only redeeming mod on Gloom is the Weaken but you don't want that curse overriding your Life Tap from Draculs (which most good melee'rs use). Lionheart offers some minor ED, huge stat points, good resists, and a big chunk of life. You'd find it on my characters much sooner than you would a Smoke or Gloom.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
As a utility piece to be used in specific situations (like Claw Viper Temple level 2, the Kurast Temples, etc.) for characters that don´t have good crowd control, can´t kill quickly or tank well, I have to mention Nadir. It can really save your b*tt in those areas. So cheap to make that it´s often better to make a new one than to repair the CoS charges (which cost 11k per charge!).