Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Most Overrated/Underrated runeword

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Dan334477, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Dan334477

Dan334477 IncGamers Member

Most Overrated/Underrated runeword

Did a search to see if this is a repeat thread. Couldn't find it so if there is, you'll just have to forgive me.

Which runewords do you think are the most overrated or underrated? Any runewords that are dear to your heart? Why?

Most overrated - Enigma: Personally, as a melee-preferred player, I find a lot of the mods on this runeword to be unecessary. Using it on a melee character sacrifices more suitable armors, like shaft. The FRW isn't very useful for melee chars since you are usually running into battle, not away from it. For casters, FRW is useless because you will be using teleport mostly anyways to travel long distances. Compared to Eth Skulders (heck, even regular skulders), Enigma isn't worth Jah + Ber.

Most Underrated - Honor: I love this runeword! It's such a great value. LL, +skills, ED, DS, AR, +str. All for the cost of easy-to-find runes. This one hold s special place in my heart because it was one of the first runewords I ever made for one of my Avengers on Bnet (my favorite build).

2. cft

cft IncGamers Member

Well, runes are a LOT harder to find in single player.

If I was considering everything, I'd probably go with Enigma as over-rated. The only thing it really has that makes it uber is teleport. If not for that, then you would be better off with something else.

Or BotD... not cause it's bad, but becasue you need a freaking Zod for it. I guess that's a matter of being too expensive, not really overrated.

But considering just the runewords I'm likely to ever see, I think that Lionheart seems to be over-rated. It's not bad, but for the LUM rune, I'd much rather have a Smoke armor. Maybe it's cause I play mostly spell casters and not so much melee.

Underrated... hmm I like Smoke + Rhyme but neither is underrated. Perhaps Exile is not as popular as it should be. I guess if you don't play paladins you can't use it, so maybe not.

Seems like just about all the nice ones are appreciated -- cresent moon for lightning builds, stone for high defense, chains of honor for lots of nice stuff, white for bonemancers, leaf for fire sorcs, etc.

3. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

I'd have to disagree about Enigma... for the true item hunter their is no better armor melee or not it is the true treasure hunter's armor (CoH is the best non treasure hunter armor). Teleport and FRW are all important when going from area to area. Speed is crucial for a treasure hunter not to mention the MF. The other mods are just gravy... the strength bonus is unbelieveable and allows you to wear things like StormS w/o using Hel to lower the strength req., 8 PDR can never hurt, 5% life increase can't hurt either, who doesn't want an extra +2 to skills? Fortunatly, the armor doesn't have resists otherwise it be more overpowered than it already is.

4. frosty

frosty IncGamers Member

Underrated: Silence, leaf, lore and melody.

Leaf for the uber +fire skills at a low price, Lore is something all my untwinked chars make. Silence for its possibilities and melody cos I like zons. :D

Overrated: HoJ. Too freaking expensive to make.

5. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

Underrated: Lionheart, Black

Overrated: All the ones I can't afford. :p

6. Masas

Masas IncGamers Member

IMO the most overrated runeword is CoH - not that good for melee (very low defense, skills don't matter, it only has resists and pdr, the tiny leech can easily be replaced by a dual leech ring). Gloom would be better for melee most of the time, and upped umed vipermagi is just as good, if not better for casters.
    As for the most underrated runeword, it'd have to be Enigma, around 90% of people say that it's easily replaced, but it is probably the ultimate possible MF armor (+2 skills, mf based on level, teleport), and it could be used by both caster and melee. And Enigma definately has got a cool name, and isn't as confusing - CoA, Enigma, LoH > CoA, CoH, LoH (much easier to understand what is what).

7. cryist

cryist IncGamers Member

I think one of the most underrated runewords is Gloom, i mean who wouldn't want +45 to resistance, ctc dim vision, 10 str, 1/2 frezing duratiuon, adn not to mention only 3 runes needed and ones that arn't that hard to find..

Overrated like Whomheed said, the ones that i can't afford, or for that fact the ones i can't test becuase i can't either find the runes or afford them..

8. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Couldn't agree more, Lionheart really is a shiney piece of equipment and if you put it in an archon plate the defence isn't too shabby too.. an endgame gear piece right there.. :)

''Mil & Sam''

9. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Most overrated:

BotD. Of course, it would be really nice to have, but there is many more really powerful melee weapons, and they are much cheaper. Getting BotD requires insane luck (in a form of Zod) or burning many other high runes to cube it. I would much rather use them for something else

Most underrated:

Gloom or Lionheart. Both are very nice armors, definitely end-game material. And not too expensive either

I disagree :D

Defense is next to useless in 1.10 imho. The resist bonus from CoH is great, no need for Mara's or Metalgrid on melee characters so you can use Highlord's for IAS and DS instead, you can use dmg/ar charms instead of shimmering ones...And I never see anyone mention the + dmg to undead & demons Coh gives. Those mods are far from useless. CoH is pretty damn good armor, it is uber for 99% of all melee chars, all casters who mostly use timered spells, ranged attackers (any bow/javelin/throw build)...simply the best overall armor

Enigma is superior to any other MF armor, but thats it

Maybe im biased because I already have almost every possible set/unique, so item finding is losing its charm

10. poopie_pants

poopie_pants IncGamers Member

Most Overrated:

Hand of Justice. I'd have to agree with Frosty on this one. Sur + Cham + Lo nets you mediocre damage increase (when compared to other runewords), and lvl16 Holy Fire aura (why not Sanctuary, at least it looks cool and would be useful against the undead).

Most Underrated

Have to be Black. Slap this into even a flail, and you have a viable weapon in hell for most melee builds. And its probably the most useful "switch" weapon any character could have.

Special Mention

Smoke for sure. This armor always finds its way onto my melee characters. Also Rhyme...good resistances, magic find, what's not to like :).

11. NeckRomancer

NeckRomancer IncGamers Member

overrated - HoJ as well; nice bonuses but like they say the required runes are too high for the output. I have the same complaint with Fury because the Jah rune is quite rare but the bonuses are just so-so.

underrated - Steel of course. It's the staple of my melee characters from clvl 13 up to even early NM. And the runes are Tir and El...nuff said. :D

12. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

I too am going to have to disagree with you there on Lionheart. Not only are all the runes actually attainable in Singleplayer but every single mod is awesome for anyone who does physical damage. Heck even for a caster it saves you 25 points in strength for item reqs and 15 in dex for getting to max block while adding some more life, vit, energy, and resists (only 20 less than smoke).

Duress (which I really wish we could use), Stone, and Crescent moon are all underrated in my mind as well since they only require UM as their highest - and all of them have at least 3 or 4 great mods on them.

Call to Arms is fairly overrated for the runes (mal, ist, AND ohm) it requires if you're simply using it as a luxury life boost through BO.

13. Shadolupin

Shadolupin IncGamers Member

I think that these are the most underrated runewords
    Malice
    3 Socket Melee Weapons
    Ith + El + Eth
    +33% Enhanced Damage
    +9 To Maximum Damage
    100% Chance Of Open Wounds
    -25% Target Defense
    -100 To Monster Defense Per Hit
    Prevent Monster Heal
    +50 To Attack Rating
    Drain Life -5

Nadir
    2 Socket Helms
    Nef + Tir
    +50% Enhanced Defense
    +10 Defense
    +30 Defense vs. Missile
    Level 13 Cloak of Shadows (9 Charges)
    +2 To Mana After Each Kill
    +5 To Strength
    -33% Extra Gold From Monsters
    -3 To Light Radius

Both of these i have found absoluteley vital for my low lvl meele chars
    put a malice greatmaul on a drood and have 5 life regen your all set
    nadir is usefull for babs cause of the cos. they both hold a spot in my heart cause malice was one of the first runewords i used when i had to play untwinked.(no atma)

14. tenaka

tenaka IncGamers Member

I can't say with much authority whats overrated because I haven't made too many of the higher runewords. For underrated, I'd say:

Strength

Most of the time you can make this by the end of normal (if you aren't rushing through the game) and any melee char with a fastish attack can own the entire NM level with this in a high end normal weapon thanks to the CB. Black is better, but its restrictive on the weapon type.

15. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

underrated: I love Lore, especially early on in a druid or barb helm with good staff mods already. It can give a great lvl boost early in the game.

overrated: HotO. I know everyone raves about it, but except for wind druids, there are better weapons available for every other caster.

16. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

Which weapon is better than HotO for a Hammerdin?

17. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

i refuse to play a cheesadin so I have no idea (nor do I care)

18. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Looking through runewords, CtA is one of the ones I've dreamed about. I almost fell off my chair when I found out a crystal sword was the most often recommended weapon for it! Good ED, 40% IAS, +skills, LL, and PMH? And it can go in any 5-socket weapon? The warcries are just gravy. This weapon was meant to smack stuff, not prebuff skills!

Underrated: Passion. It gets overshadowed by Kingslayer, but come on, zeal and 'zerk are a lot more fun than vengeance.

Overrated: HotO. I'm biased, as I have no plans for a Wind Druid or Hammerdin. If I had a vex rune, I would rather make a silence weapon or hope for a second and cube to an Ohm for a CtA.

19. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

Underrated: Strength (I'm collecting 2 socket elites to potentially use) and Chaos. I just said Chaos, cause no one here ever mentions wanting a whirlwind assassin.

Overrated: agree with HBB, HoTO isn't worth the Vex it's made of, better off saving it for something more chars can use.

20. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Malice is my most used runeword early on for Melee Characters. Malice and Steel, that is.

For ranged characters, or just in general, any character I find Zephyr to be an underrated runeword. It's pretty nice IMO.

Zephyr
    Composite Bow
    'OrtEth'
    Two-Hand Damage: 6 to 11
    Required Dexterity: 35
    Required Strength: 25
    Required Level: 21
    Bow Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
    Item Version: Expansion
    Item Level: 17
    Fingerprint: 0xdac5e7d6
    +33% Enhanced Damage
    +66 to Attack Rating
    +25 Defense
    Adds 1-50 lightning damage
    25% Increased Attack Speed
    25% Faster Run/Walk
    -25% Target Defense
    7% Chance to cast Level 1 Twister when struck
    Socketed (2: 2 used)

How much does that pwn for level 21?

I mean come on. You could make it in Act 1, early Act 2 pending on your rune luck.