Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Most overrated runeword?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Ifrit18, Feb 28, 2004.

?

How many experience points does it take to reach level 99 from 98?

1. 368,023 pts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 909, 392 pts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 34,993,143 pts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 291,058,498 pts

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  5. 3,520,485,254 pts

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  6. and of coarse, none this poll sukks.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ifrit18

Ifrit18 Banned

Most overrated runeword?

Which runeword do you think is just way overrated?

I have to say exile. You don't gain good blocking and your resists are pratically low. You gain life tap and HUGE defense but I rather take my high resists and huge blocking from HoZ any day.

A honorable mention would be sant shield (ko+ko+mal). Good resists and slow missles but I rather save that mal for CTA.

2. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

against melee exile is the best.

get a 45 resist exile and u have resist near hoz

blocking is like not an issue when u have holy shield...

^_^

3. Ryshenron

Ryshenron IncGamers Member

except a 45 resist exile is worth liek 50 HoZ's......

4. Reggitsan

Reggitsan Banned

None of the new rune words are over-rated, the good ones people like, the bad ones people don't.

BUT

1.09, Fury was majorly over-rated. I mean, how can the damage compare to an Ith?

Wait.. no, scratch that.

5. ch33s3 m4st3r

ch33s3 m4st3r IncGamers Member

209 ed is more than 9 max dmg

:spy:

6. Sir SDG

Sir SDG Banned

DOOM.......

just break down and put your cleglaws back on for dueling...

pvp holy freeze is another anacronim for SLOW...........

7. bitterbeerface

bitterbeerface IncGamers Member

I voted other... primarily because the difficulty in assembling the runewords that are really worth while is so great. What good is something if you can't make it?

Doom: Ohm, Um, Lo, Cham
    Beast: Ber, Um, Mal
    BoTD: Zod, Vex
    Call to Arms: Mal, Ist, Ohm
    Chains of Honor: Um, Ber, Ist
    Enigma: Jah, Ber
    Eternity Ber, Ist, Sur
    Exile: Vex, Ohm, Ist
    Famine: Ohm, Jah
    Hand of Justice: Sur, Cham, Lo
    Kingslayer: Mal, Um, Gul

As of now, I can't legitly assemble any of these... I've found Um, Lo, Ohm, and Ist legit... I'm a Cham away from Doom... but seriously, how many legit Chams are there? I know there's no way of knowing this, but it'd be interesting to see how many people with multiple lvl 90+ ladder characters could assemble any of the above runewords with legitly found runes. Prior to rune duping, you could trade for it, assuming you could find someone willing to part with their big-*** rune. Making items like this "the ultimate" item only encourages hackers, etc.

Sure, people can rush themselves/their friends to hell hellforge and hope for Ist/Gul, but that's not how the game should be played. If I ever get ahold of a Cham, it's 99.9% sure to be a dupe-upgrade... but I'll still use it to make my merc's dream cryptic axe... since that's the best I can do with what I've got.

But back to the topic... if I had to choose a runeword that's overrated, even if it's not in the poll, I'd go with Delirium... +2 skills good... the rest of it, crap. (well, a little MF from the Ist)

8. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

eternity, only because people actually consider making it and it's terrible, thankfully they don't make it atleast

9. ÃÃ¥vÓ§

ÃÃ¥vÓ§ IncGamers Member

Most 1.09 Runewords are mediocre at best, and crap at worst. Melody? Zephyr?
    parc erom dna parc parc

Silence? 2 High Level Runes for something that won't get you ANYWHERE in Hell (1.09 or 1.10) at 200% Ed and 20% FAS

then there are some of the wonderful 1.10 runewords -
    Enigma - too underpowered to say it requires a Ber and Jah rune
    Delerium - Chance to cast a half dozen curses is a novelty, but the measly defence and the ypparc other attributes makes the Ist rune that is required a waste

I wanted to see some decent low level and mid-leve runewords with 1.10, such as for the couple of 4 socketed claymores i found. Passion is too high a level, and there are no 4 socket 1.09 runewords for swords, and there is no upgrade recipe for ordinary items.
    Overall, i'm dissapointed by the lot of them - mid levels are too costly, High Levels are under powered, and the low levels are redundant far too quickly

10. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

For me Stone is the best, traded a 4 socket Dusk Shroud (461 base defense) for Ist and got:

Stone (Shael + Um + Pul + Lum)

Level req:49
    str req:77
    Defense:1756

+60% Faster Hit Recovery
    +300 Defense Vs. Missile
    +16 To Strength
    +16 To Vitality
    +10 To Energy
    All Resistances +15
    Level 16 Molten Boulder (80 Charges)
    Level 16 Clay Golem (16 Charges)

Now isn't this a perfect all-class armor (look at the req !!!!!). Gave it to my level 87 barb, now baal runs are 10x easier. Summun my Level 16 Clay Golem infront of Baal and immediatly give him:BO,Shout and BC. Baal is slowed now by 60% ! from the golem. Not to mention that my merc has Hone Sundan (+2 Sheal and Amn) with 45% chance of Crushing Blow and Blackhorn's Face (additional 20% slowes target and prevent monster heal)

Baal is barely moving ==> almost standing still !!!!

11. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

Silence. Total crap.

12. ch33s3 m4st3r

ch33s3 m4st3r IncGamers Member

silence in a phase blade is a great weapon for a v/t

13. ZeppelinAngel

ZeppelinAngel IncGamers Member

did you ever actually use a fury? o_O

they work quite well :)

14. batu

batu Banned

Enigma is not underpowered, the fact that it gives teleport as a skill to any class opens up new possibilities for them. Necros for example will not have to recast lost revives every minute. And the rest of the stats are not exactly bad either. Theres a reason why it require jah and ber, because it is THAT good.

15. zoey

zoey IncGamers Member

Whoever voted Call to Arms speak up, NOW.
    In order for something to be overrated, people have to actually be making a fuss over it. And i have yet to see anyone on Bnet doing any such a thing for a CTA item.

My hybrid zon uses a CTA grand mat bow and it actually does quite well in hell (no, i don't only use it for the warcries, it actually kills stuff!!! omfgggg!). I am not a rich d2 player by any means and I had to work hard to get the runes for it, so you can be damned sure i wasn't going to make a runeword that i can't actually use for more than a few seconds each game.

16. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

Most of the runewords that are new are very very expensive. I'm not sure how anyone can make any of them on the ladder.

Almost all of the 1.09 runewords were made completely obsolete.

There is still no love level 2 socket caster runeword for claws and orbs.

There are not enough midlevel runewords with decent mods for Nightmare.

And the single biggest thing would be increasing the Runedrops from say the Countess, maybe give Bloodraven rune drops in Nitemare and Hell since you get nothing for doing the quest. Add rune drops to some of the other quests in the game. This would allow the more common players a chance at making some of the more powerful runewords.

But its hard to say any of those runewords are over powered if the moderately rich players don't have access to them.

17. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

I totally agree. :drink: to you.

18. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

I'll give an honorable mention to BotD.

The runeword is for melee. Making ethereal weapons extremely strong. This weapon is probably stronger or as strong as any unique in the game.

So why you ask is it overrated... Because melee is now overrated. Even with BotD, melee is still underpowered.

The funny thing is that melee only effects one creature at a time, unless you use Fend, Zeal, Fury. Melee got very few boosts from synergies in 1.10. And you have to really close to deal your damage, so its easier for creatures to hit you.

These are three very big drawbacks when compared to the Mage spells of Blizzard, Blessed Hammer, Lightning Traps, Meteor/Fireball, Frozen Orb, Tornados, did I leave a good caster out??? What melee builds are doing well. I know that WW was a little annoying, but at least it was a melee skill that worked. Tanking has also gotten a lot harder for melee classes too.

Because melee is dead. BotD, isn't as good as it could be.

19. wedoz

wedoz IncGamers Member

definately.

there should be runewords you can make in normal that would be equal to all the highpowered runewords you can make. same as nightmare. should have made it so you could make a kick *** weapon/armor/what have you while you're sluggin it out in other acts.

maybe something like el, sol, io, hel (just throwing out runes here off the top of my head) for a decent *** weapon for normal mode.

20. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

I would have to say that sanctuary is actually UNDERRATED. I made one in a sacred targe with inherent +25 all res and the runeword gave me a total of +90 all res. That combined with 20% fhr (important for zealot), +180% defense (close to that of upgraded zak) and decent block/block rate bonuses make this an awesome runeword for its price. The runeword that is actually overrated is the one that you mention, call to arms. Unless you are a caster build (+skills) even a +6 BO call to arms will run out in duration quickly, and the combat mods on it aren't that stellar either for its ridiculous price (Ohm+ist).