Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Most Influential game ever?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by inatey, Mar 30, 2004.

1. inatey

inatey IncGamers Member

Most Influential game ever?

what in you oppinion is the most influential game ever?? u can specify a genre

eg
    stratergy games in eneral
    simcity.
    need i say more?? i still play it...

RTS
    total anihalations... i still play it... the unit limit is 300 and there are 200 units to chose from.. the multy player actions is insane... u can comand gigantic armies it was the first of its kind

TBS (for the realy young people that is turn based stratergy...)
    heros of might and magic series.. it was different to ur standard Dand D it had rpg with it and hell adictive...

andone else??

2. Deathwing

Deathwing Banned

Do you know what "most influential game ever" actually means? It has nothing to do with poor games that don't have any effect on anything (like TA), it suggests utterly ground breaking stuff, like Dune 2 or Civilization or Elite or as you say, SimCity.

I think though that Doom is most influential game ever. Even today, FPS games still haven't moved on in ány significant way.

3. inatey

inatey IncGamers Member

ahh they games that i metntions are influential... if you have played ether of them you would know... total anihalations brought a whole enw meaning to rts... and heros of MandM was in a genre of its own...

4. Deathwing

Deathwing Banned

Yeah, TA bought the same "new meaning" to RTS as BGH did! Hide in your base or rush your commander to their base and D-Gun their commander were things utterly ignored by everyone else. Most of the "race" differences in TA were the units shooting either orange balls (Arm) or orange lines(Core)! Even Dune 2 had more then that.

I don't know much about HoMAM, but I don't know of any influence it might of had.

5. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

Well, for RTS I would mention these three games as being "influential".

Herzog Zwei.
    Ancient Amiga game (or was it Commodore?). While it was never that big a public success it was the first game to pin down most of the RTS characteristsics that still are going strong today.

Dune 2.
    The first RTS to become a major public success. Managed to start the Real Time Strategy craze.

Starcraft.
    Though not revolutionising in any way this game is perhaps one of the most strategically "deep" RTS'es truly showing multiplayer-RTS as a thing to stay. Is one of the games responsible for turning computer gaming into an international sport.

6. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

Doom. Why? One word. Atmosphere.

7. inatey

inatey IncGamers Member

no doubt doom was a great game.... ahh what is bgh??

8. Deathwing

Deathwing Banned

It is a map that came out with the SC expansion Brood War. All the Minerals/Gas you could need were in your base so people could (would) just build defense at their ONLY choke point and mass a huge army.

9. bc10068

bc10068 IncGamers Member

Only in Korea. :thumbsup:

10. Mister 4

Mister 4 IncGamers Member

Wolfenstein

11. Accaris

Accaris IncGamers Member

Pong brought videogames into the home, and so was probably the most influential game of all time.

Gauntlet was responsible for simultaneously multiplayer games.

Street Fighter II truly started the fighting game genre. Every fighter afterward owes at least something to it.

Pitfall and Super Mario Bros. ultimately created the entire platformer genre.

"Adventure" was the catalyst, but The Legend Of Zelda gave us an adventure genre. It also was the first game with a lithium battery save system.

Modern racing games are based directly on Pole Position.

Xevious is the foundation for the shooter genre (the modern, scrolling variety.)

Dragon Quest created a style of RPG playing that almost every RPG today can be traced back to.

Doom popularized the first person shooter genre and was extremely influential, though others came before it.

Simcity popularized the user-friendly simulation games that dominate the genre today (with Maxis, the original creators, *still* at the top.)

Although Dune came before it, Command and Conquer is considered the real father of the RTS genre, if only due to its wild popularity.

Almost every modern puzzle game points to Tetris.

12. Deathwing

Deathwing Banned

Dragon Quest? Hello? Ever heard of Ultima? We're PC users. We like our RPGs not treating us as if we were as dumb as rocks. We can handle more complex plots then "Evil thing comes to kill the world! Only you (and your party of collectionableâ„¢ action figures or "friends") can stop it!". We are not console users.

I also think that "user-friendly simulation games" is far too vague. SimCity should not be included with "The Sims", as people who like The Sims should be shot in the face and the only people who consider C&C to be the "father" of RTS games are people who didn't have Dune 2.

13. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

You want a truly groundbreaking game?

PONG.

It didn't just bring video games into the home, it brought them into their own. It was basically the first video game the general public ever encountered.

14. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

The most influential ever is Pong. There is no doubt about it. Without that, consoles, and perhaps video games would have taken at least another decade to catch on. Obviously it wasn't game play or graphics, it was the fact that creators knew that people would buy more. So they made more. And everything else was born.

15. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 IncGamers Member

I disagree with you on pretty much all counts. Simcity was definitely revolutionary, but I wouldn't call it a strategy game at all. Its more of a simulation game. Total Annihilation barely had any influence at all on the RTS genre. In fact, the RTS genre has changed very little since its creation, so I think the title for RTS would go to Dune 2. And I don't think the Heroes series has really influenced anything. I remember playing a game on the Sega Genesis 12 years or so years ago that had pretty much the exact same formula. The TBS genre is so small, there aren't really any games that have gotten influence from the Heroes series. The Warlords series is the only other modern TBS series I can think of and I think it either predates Heroes or is about the same time.

Regarding C&C as being the father of RTS, if this is true then I think Warcraft II deserves to share the title. Their release dates are only a couple months apart, so neither really had a chance to be influenced by the other since they were both in development at the same time. And I think its fair to say that they were both equally popular and of excellent quality.

I agree that Street Fighter II is absolutely the most influencial fighting game. There was no other similar game before it that was even 1% as popular and as good. There used to be crowds of kids after school gathered around the SFII machine in Seven-Eleven.

16. Deathwing

Deathwing Banned

Excuse me, I don't think that Pong was really an influential game at all, it might have been the most important game ever, but it didn't have an effect on single games themselves, but maybe I abusing definitons here...

Oh, I think Herzog Zwei was for the Sega Genesis and as for you adamfgt78... ever heard of Civilization II? TBS and a strong candidate for "best game ever". Nothing to do with HoMAM though.

17. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Space Invaders.

It showed game developers that they could make a bazillion dollars off of the coins in people's pockets.

18. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

Try this. If it weren't for PONG, other games would not exist, or would at least be ten years behind where they are now. Is that not influential?

Civilization II is teh win+1.

19. Deathwing

Deathwing Banned

If you're going down that road, we'll end up saying that Table Tennis is the "game" with the most influence or something like that. I'm saying that Pong was very important but that it didn't have much influence on any individual game, just the state of computer games.

20. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

Is that not influence?