Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Most important thing about artisans:

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by stillman, Aug 19, 2010.

1. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

Most important thing about artisans:

In all those blue posts, they seemed to have failed to mention the best thing of all: Fewer trips to town!

So, if I'm getting this right, the caravan follows you and sort of waits outside the dungeon (at a waypoint perhaps)? They only mentioned the caravan is 'near if you need them.' That said, they also mentioned the artisans follow you wherever you go in 'the world.'

Now, in d2, we could obviously make super fast tp trips to town to sell stuff, but even if the caravan trips take the same time or more, at least it will not feel like we are sissy town huggers every few minutes. You won't be breaking away from the dangerous atmosphere all the time like in d2.

It's also good to have certifed non-jerks to work for you. Remember all those mean people we had to do business with in d2? Well in d3, the vendors like us so much they follow us and work full time for the cause! And image how close they will be huddled together. It's only a caravan size, so that means no running to opposite ends of town to go from repair button to tp vendor (for example). To top it off, they will have stuff ready for you when you return-- stuff that you actually want instead of running in and out of town to shuffle the deck and hope for the right gloves.

A side note: in D&D, there is a bracelet you can wear that holds tiny versions of your items...that pop into full size when you want them to. It seems d3 is sort of going this route with items, only in a permanent way. You turn your big item into (powder?) for easier carrying, which you later turn back into a big item when you craft it into something.

The problem is, will players reluctantly turn almost every pick up into powder/essence just for the sake of making space? There were other ways of handling this: the D&D bag of holding, the braclet mentioned above so you can pop things into smaller things and back again, teleporting items to your stash in town/caravan, etc. Maybe they want us to think hard about what we salvage. In any case, we will all be cocain dealers.

Another question is: why town at all now? I know I'd rather drop my money on people working for me rather than periferal corporate fat slugs in town. Maybe town will just be to pick up quests? Since you can customize and even socket your gear so thoroughly with artisans, and with even a jeweler on board, then how can town top that?

2. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

Re: Most important thing about artisans:

If they leave TP scrolls out, I'm happy. Itnamely adds to the tension of dungeoneering. You just don't put your into situations as fast anymore but think twice about going on.

Of course a waypoint here and there or the means of always having a caravan nearby (blowing a horn to call it in to the nearest safe location?).

What's with the '+X random prioperties'? Will it truly be infinately random (bonusses and penalties) . Sounds like fun!

3. Malaterre

Malaterre IncGamers Member

Funny, contrarily to you I had the feeling that the caravan will remain in camp, town, whatever... and not literally follow us around.
    I think what they mean by following us is that we will find them in every town or outpost when we arrive. Just like our stash was following us in D2.

If you look at the blacksmith shop, it is quite huge and it cannot easily fit everywhere. You also see that everything (stands, anvil...) is located at the same place and takes precisely the same space in the different upgraded versions of the shop. So I think it is designed to fit exactly in certain places, namely towns, outposts and not in many places.

I have the feeling that the artisans will replace/are the merchants. You can buy objects from them, not just ask them to craft. All the additional services you may need (combining gems, socketing...) are also provided by the artisans. So I guess there is no need for additional merchants. Perhaps for some very special things (like Gheed for gambling).

So somehow, if the artisans are really the only merchants left in the game, anywhere they are become a "town".

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  4. TheMythe

Apart from unique quest NPC's that are selling/buying unique items (quest related or not), yes I agree the shops are in every civilized place you get. It is easy on the name remembering :)

5. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

just think about it, you are gonna battle through the legions of hell and these artisans are gonna get rich off of it. no wonder they will follow us around everyone else will be broke while we find all the shiny bits

6. Glurglock

Glurglock IncGamers Member

We are yet to be sure about the size of towns and settlements in the game.
    Yeah, NT might be a wee bit smaller than the usual city, but other acts could introduce us to more NPC's and vendors.
    Can't live without the risk of gambling!!

7. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

It's probably going to be the exact same as crafting in diablo 2. That means that the mods are draw random from a pile, excluding to similar mods from being drawn more then once. And if that pile includes penalties (and by that, I mean real nasty penalties, not just some random mod like light radius or negative bonuses to balance out positive bonuses in one mod) then we will see them. Though I don't think they will be all to present. Finding a real good item is going to be hard enough without those if it resembles anything like diablo 2.

P.S. And I agree with Malaterre, they are not going to follow us around while we battle. They are going to fit in predetermined places. What those places are and where might however be partially quest based.
    i.e. securing a place near a big dungeon by killing all monsters allows them to settle there.

8. Idaell

Idaell IncGamers Member

There has to be at least some stores early game as you do not start with artisans.

9. TheMythe

Quest #1

Find the friggin' caravan! ;)

10. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

its the deckard cain situation all over again lol

11. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

So far I'm happy with what I've seen, this is indeed a fresh new concept for the Diablo series and Blizzard certainly live up to their name once again.

So at least the crafting aspect of the game has been confirmed, and I believed there are "dyes" so that we can customize and choose the color we want our equipment to be.

Everything will cost gold, and I am pretty sure crafting isn't cheap, considering the fact that Blizzard is firm about making gold the currency in the game.

I guess towns are mainly for quests, or to buy/sell equipment. There are probably many other unannounced features, perhaps an improved gambling system, so we'll have to wait till the next Blizzcon to get more details.

12. Deckard Cain

Deckard Cain IncGamers Member

Not to start up this good old argument again.... but this idea is basically straight from WoW (unless of course you mean a new idea for the diablo series, not a BRAND new idea in general).

I'm a bit surprised to see no "omfg this is too WoW. take it out of the game!"

have people finally come to their senses?

13. Killafornia

Killafornia IncGamers Member

Nah. If the crafting wasn't random then I'd complain. Random lewt is what makes diablo so great. This system adds tons more of possible items to the game so it's inherently good for it IMO.