Most experience gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excalibur

Diabloii.Net Member
Hey guys,

Since my return I set a goal of farming Travincal and DoH lvl 3 for runes until my Paladin hits level 96. Travincal was barely moving the experience bar despite the dozens runs so while I was farming I was also constantly checking at the experience points that I was getting from killing units and few things surprised me.

So if anyone is interested take a look below and give your opinion based on your knowledge.
Everything below was tested at Players 8 with my Paladin being level 95.

Act3
All the Council Members from Travincal, unique or not grant approximately 1.200 exp points each.
Minions at Durance of Hate LvL 3 Councils or Blood Lords grant approximately 6.000 points.
Mephisto grants approximately 32.000 points.

Lvl 85 Areas
Each Minion in lvl 85 areas grant approximately 10.000 - 16.000 exp points ( I checked in Ancient Tunnels, River of Flame, Chaos Sanctuary and WC lvl 2 & 3 )

Chaos Sanctuary:
The seal with the Wraiths grants approximately 15.000 points each.
The seal with the Doom Knights grants approximately 10.000 points each.
The seal with the Venom Lords grants approximately 14.000 points each.
Diablo himself grants approximately 123.000 points

Act5:
Baal's first wave grants approximately 9.000 points each
Baal's third wave grants approximately 24.000 points each
Baal's fourth wave grants approximately 25.000 points each
Baal's firth wave grants approximately 26.000 points each
Baal's second wave grants approximately 30.000(!) points. The exp points apply only for each Unraveller and not for the skeleton mages who grant barely anything. Even the Unravellers minions that appear in the Worldstone Chamber lvl 2 grant the same massive amount of exp points.

Baal himself grants approximately 125.000 points

Basically, I always though Lister and his minions are the ones with the biggest amount of experience and I am quite confused that I never noticed the big difference from the second wave. I am not quite sure if I messed somewhere but I think I didn't so guys have you noticed anything similar with any other mob?

Last edited:

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I think (I could be wrong) that in earlier difficulties lister et al are higher levels than the other waves, which is why they're better for exp as you reach higher and higher levels compared to the rest

PhineasB

Diabloii.Net Member
@Excalibur - those results line up roughly with the XP tables @NanoMist created and that are imbedded in Section 3.3 of this post from the 99er Compendium. His numbers are aggregate for the waves, rather than per-unit. But your numbers match those XP tables (based on some quick mental math). Wave 2 gives solid XP for sure, comparable to total XP from wave 3 and not that far behind total XP from Lister's wave. The higher per-monster XP for Wave 2 than other waves is due to having fewer minions. Ventar ends up being highest total XP for the wave due to larger number of minions.

Also, as noted in that same post, @Corrupted observed solid per-monster XP from Unravellers in WSK and suggested as an option for Baal runs to hit them when they spawn (I realized it should say WSK2 though, as that's where I recall seeing them spawn).

Last edited:

Excalibur

Diabloii.Net Member
Thank you for the link. The XP table indeed clearly shows that the second wave grants the best experience points. However, looking through the post I didn't notice any specific reference to Unravellers and I really want to read what's been posted about them.

PhineasB

Diabloii.Net Member
Just checked again, and it was actually in the linked post by Corrupted that he referenced Greater Mummies (unraveller type) as giving great XP, whereas the reference in my post was more general to WSK boss packs:
One last thing about running Baal; I suspect the optimal approach for certain builds would be to roll a map with a short distance L-turn to level 3 with potential bosspacks spawning in that area. You'd run P8 and clear worthwhile packs (Greater Mummies give crazy exp) before switching to P1 for throne room spawn. Most people would probably go crazy swapping p settings that much though without macrobuttons on their mouse/keyboard)
@Corrupted pointed out that hitting boss packs at p8 along the way, particularly for WSK 3, can be worth it for XP (I found that to be true also with Mercy, who had steady boss pack spawns on one of her WSK maps, while also netting some nice drops as a result). But it involves an extra change to p-setting.
I'll do a little more digging this weekend and add what I find.

PhineasB

Diabloii.Net Member
Not much to add. The only post I found through some quick googling was this one, noting Greater Mummies have highest per-monster XP in A5 (mlvl for Minions of Destruction isn't accurate for v1.1.3, and v1.10+ as far as I know).

The numbers match what's in the Arreat Summit, example for greater mummies and megademons. And numbers match up with Nano's XP tables, which he confirmed on AB wiki and german online calculator.

I think the challenge is that the greater mummies are guest monsters and roll only some of the time. Also, regular monsters will be mlvl 85 and therefore apply the maximum level-difference XP penalty even for a level 95 character.

Boss packs are mlvl ** would seem to give same XP as Achmel's pack. As Corrupted said, I think they would be worth hitting if the p-setting changes don't get too bothersome (and other monster type boss packs that can be quickly dispatched given the p-setting would have to be set at start of the run.

Excalibur

Diabloii.Net Member
Alright, thanks for the additional info! I just hoped there would be some more monsters that grant crazy exp just like Unravellers that no one had noticed before. Also, it's killing me that we can't have an anni. :(

darkstarhub

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmmm...that 5% XP gain from Ondal’s may not even be worth the trouble, especially if it suffers from any kind of penalty.

@Excalibur You are right all the way around about the Anni charm, and a Torch. A legitimate way to obtain those charms would be so awesome, and it could add something extra to the game that I know all of us would love doing. But, alas, Blizzard doesn’t see fit to work on a way to let the single player base get them. I know that it requires being online because the Pandemonium event is not something we can do at will. One of these days maybe.

Excalibur

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, Baal without the staff granted 118.000 exp points while with the staff 123.000 so it's not worth the trouble.

I never played online much so the Uber Tristram is something new for me and I would really love to experience it. Not to mention that an Anni and a Torch would be incredible to have on our chars.

I know it's probably not possible but I really wanted to ask, has really no one managed to find a way to make it feasible SP like we have the Ladder Runewords?

LongingForDeath

Diabloii.Net Member
I know it's probably not possible but I really wanted to ask, has really no one managed to find a way to make it feasible SP like we have the Ladder Runewords?
There is a mod that enables both, but it's not allowed here in the SPF for one reason or another. Uber Tristram isn't the same experience as online, though, since you just have the bosses without their minions. Reason for that is that the code for their AI is on the BNet servers and not in the client software. It would be easy for Blizzard to transfer that, though.

I used the mod in the past (hence my current restart), but I don't remember how exactly the Pandemonium event worked there. I think it was randomly, but you could set the parameters to change the odds of it happening. I suspect something similar is done on BNet. I doubt that people are actually selling SoJs to activate it, unless they have been duped in great quantities.

While Torch and Anni are definitely some really nice items, they would be quite easy to obtain in SP. A decently equipped smiter can easily and safely take down the Ubers and Diablo, and obtaining the keys is easy with static maps and dedicated runners.

Excalibur

Diabloii.Net Member
Ah, I see. I guess we have wait forever for an upcoming patch that will finally make this event available for us.

jonnyphive

Diabloii.Net Member
When I first switched from Bnet to SP, I too was really bummed about not being able to legitimately get those items. But over time, the added challenge of not having those severely-OP charms has been quite enjoyable with regards to theorycrafting competent characters.

Also, static maps > Anni+Torch. The added XP from Anni is dwarfed by the reduced efficiency of leveling on Bnet. So you can always take solace in that aspect of the trade-off.

sanguillen

Diabloii.Net Member
When I first switched from Bnet to SP, I too was really bummed about not being able to legitimately get those items. But over time, the added challenge of not having those severely-OP charms has been quite enjoyable with regards to theorycrafting competent characters.
Agreed. Those charms seemed a little too gimmicky to me, and very overpowered indeed. To be honest, I'm not even remotely interested in Blizzard patching these into SP.

Excalibur

Diabloii.Net Member
Runewords are already overpowered and to my eyes much better than an Anni or a Torch. Anyway, what bothers me most is that those who play only SP can't enjoy all the features of the game whichever this feature is.

jonnyphive

Diabloii.Net Member
Runewords are already overpowered and to my eyes much better than an Anni or a Torch. Anyway, what bothers me most is that those who play only SP can't enjoy all the features of the game whichever this feature is.
That's a fair point, it is strange to not offer the feature to all types of players given that single player is a fully supported game mode. I do agree with @sanguillen that those charms do feel awfully gimmicky. I mean, "Diablo Clone" appears because of selling SOJs? Right, because that makes sense.

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
If you also factor in that the SPF permits time travel, I think the advantages are evened out.

It would be interesting to see what difference they make to PvP builds for me - Some builds struggle with high strength/ dexterity investment or resists, they may have the effect of boosting some builds in strength. Hybrid Assassins for example.

But it isn’t going to happen. We don’t even have ladder RWs enabled without RWM.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Agreed. We should get at least all the content on all game modes: ladder, off-ladder and SP. It doesn't make any sense it's not like that.

When I didn't have the gear I had now, I liked the anni and Torch I had back then, because they made up somewhat for my crappy(ish) gear. Now that I started over, got very good gear, but especially, learnt the joys of playing the SPF ways, I couldn't care less about anni and Torch. Well, maybe my 99er Sorc doesn't agree when thinking about those 11000 Nihl runs she did and the xp% gain on an anni. But since she found Jah and Ber in that last stretch, which she might not have with the xp boost (and as a consequence, less runs), she shouldn't speak up too much ;).

sanguillen

Diabloii.Net Member
That is a valid point about the runewords for sure. Part of me is actually tempted to go retro and either travel backward to a pre-1.10 version of the game, or at the very least just not make any 1.10-onward runewords and go more unique and rares heavy. But I'm like a little kid that way, in that whatever idea is shiny for the moment captures my interest the most, so maybe this is just a phase that will pass. :D

Agreed. We should get at least all the content on all game modes: ladder, off-ladder and SP. It doesn't make any sense it's not like that.

When I didn't have the gear I had now, I liked the anni and Torch I had back then, because they made up somewhat for my crappy(ish) gear. Now that I started over, got very good gear, but especially, learnt the joys of playing the SPF ways, I couldn't care less about anni and Torch. Well, maybe my 99er Sorc doesn't agree when thinking about those 11000 Nihl runs she did and the xp% gain on an anni. But since she found Jah and Ber in that last stretch, which she might not have with the xp boost (and as a consequence, less runs), she shouldn't speak up too much ;).
Yes, we should at the very least get the same content - to me, it also makes no sense why we don't. A lack of consistency is inexcusable, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.