Most Effective Sorceress Build For Pits

YSM

Banned
Most Effective Sorceress Build For Pits

What is the most effective Sorceress build for the Pit?

Thank you in advance.

graal

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Most Effective Sorceress Build For Pits

I guess the pit would need a dual-tree-sorc. All the good ones I think includes orb and then either Chain lightning, Lightning, Meteor or Fireball as other skill. The reason Frozen orb is so common I think is because it makes a good secondary attack with only 26 points spent in cold.
I however played pits allright with a pure Lightning-sorc and an ok Merc for the immunes.

CrooklynDodger

Diabloii.Net Member

Of course Infinity merc/Light Sorc would be ideal but for the beginning of ladder I always ran it fine with my meteorb.

MrBill

Diabloii.Net Member

What is the most effective Sorceress build for the Pit?

Thank you in advance.
I only play Hardcore solo so my views are strongly influenced by (ahem) the need for survivability over all else... for me, the bottom line is, no Sorceress build (I don't care if you've got Infinity, Enigma, Torch, Anni, whatever you like) is completely "safe" for the Pits, particularly Level 2. This is especially true considering that the reason you run it is if you're short of good items, meaning that a lot of people try to run it just after entering Hell, when they are ~ Level 70+ or so... the monsters there are Level 85, giving them a very, very good chance of hitting you and poor old Waheed, on every shot.

All it takes is some freak boss attribute combination (Cursed, Extra Strong, Multishot, Might / Fanaticism will do, for a boss archer pack, and these very definitely do show up about 10 to 20 per cent of the time, again especially on Level 2) and Waheed goes down instantly (I don't care if he has 75% resists and 2000 hit points... he goes down instantly, trust me on this one), the next second, your Energy Shield goes down (always fun when you hit Mana Burn too, isn't it?), the third second, you're dead. Add a bit of lag to the above and the boss pack doesn't even have to be that powerful; Waheed gets put into permanent hit recovery and you wake up with both him and you, d-e-a-d. :weep:

Blind teleporting only makes this dreary sequence of events that much more likely, with the added little fun factor of leaving you nowhere to retreat.

I have had reasonably good luck running the Pits with other builds, notably Death Sentry Assassins, Summoner Necros and (although this last one requires a really well tricked-out character), Amazons. The common element in most of the above builds is having durable minions that can avoid the boss pack shooting at you (at least, they won't shoot at you, first, which gives you a second or two to figure out what to do), as well as -- and this is an important one for the Pits because of all those !#[email protected]$# little Carver Shamans -- something to clear corpses (for an Amazon you gotta do it with Freezing Arrow, which works, but slowly). I have also done it reasonably will with a Fire / Summoner Druid, but here the problem is that the Carvers are FI, you have to bowl them back with Molten Boulder and then have your dogs eat the corpses.

You can try it with something like a Meteorb Sorc and an A2 Prayer merc with a nice Insight stick (better get Level 17 Meditation on it), nerves of steel and a good, non-laggy connection to Battle.Net; I wish you luck, because if I did this I'd soon be re-rolling my Sorceress.

So, "good luck"... you'll need it.

Cheers

Mr_Bill

Painman

Diabloii.Net Member

I'll also recommend Meteorb, and second MrBill's commentary -- when your Sorc isn't into her 80s yet, and especially if she isn't well equipped yet... those archers are very dangerous to you.

But, you don't need to worry about The Pit all that much until you're ready. A Meteorb in her 70s performs very well in the Crypt and Mausoleum which are located in Blood Raven's graveyard. They are lvl 84 and 85, populated with slow-moving undead which are all Lightning Immune, and there are no ranged enemies. You can run these 2 areas for high level drops (along with Act 2's Ancient Tunnels in the Lost City) until your Sorc and her merc have put on some levels/gear and aren't quite so weak to ranged attacks.

MrBill

Diabloii.Net Member

I'll also recommend Meteorb, and second MrBill's commentary -- when your Sorc isn't into her 80s yet, and especially if she isn't well equipped yet... those archers are very dangerous to you.

But, you don't need to worry about The Pit all that much until you're ready. A Meteorb in her 70s performs very well in the Crypt and Mausoleum which are located in Blood Raven's graveyard. They are lvl 84 and 85, populated with slow-moving undead which are all Lightning Immune, and there are no ranged enemies. You can run these 2 areas for high level drops (along with Act 2's Ancient Tunnels in the Lost City) until your Sorc and her merc have put on some levels/gear and aren't quite so weak to ranged attacks.
Yeah, good points there. Most of my Sorceresses (and my other characters, in fact...) spend so much time in the Tunnels that they might as well build a condo down there, it would save on the commute time. A couple of other things, though:

-- For the Crypt / Mausoleum as well as the Tunnels, the big issue for a young Hell Sorceress is just getting there. You have to hoof it across the Cold Plains to get to the Crypt / Mausoleum (and of course dodge Blood Raven to zip into the right tomb entrance... has anyone ever gotten anything good off her? I sure haven't) and every time I do this with any character under about Level 84 or so, the game throws ridiculous packs of godly boss monsters (e.g. Corrupted Lancers / Brutes with Might, Conviction, Lightening Enchanted, Cursed, etc.) at me.

Here again, although it's not as bad as the bloody archer packs in the Pits, you have to be very careful to keep hapless old Waheed alive in these situations (which, BTW, is the reason why I never throw away a full rejuve potion... ever), because he's all there is between you and getting a nasty pointed stick, stuck right through you. You can try Teleporting... I sure wouldn't with a young Sorceress in Hardcore, the risk is far worse than the likely reward.

Incidentally, it can be "exciting" getting to the Tunnels, as well. Cold Immune Assailants are the main reason -- these dudes are usually not too bad, but they are really unpleasant if they have something like Cursed, Extra Strong or Might / Fanaticism, simply because they are natively very fast and can be all over Waheed in a split second -- and also, those cat thingies (forget the name, they're the ones with the whips) are actually faster, you have to be on your toes when they're around, especially if you don't have Cannot Be Frozen (one hit and your Sorceress starts moving verrrrry slowwwwly). The zombies in this area are usually easier targets, and if I get the chance I always pop Dark Elder, occasionally he drops something useful (like Shaftstop, for example, which I've got off of him a couple times). Most of the time, of course, he just drops crap, but at least you can sell it for cold hard cash.

-- Once you do get to the Crypt and the Mausoleum as a young Sorceress, watch out for stair traps just as you go down the entrance (I have only run into these once or twice but they're nasty) and, also, due to clipping errors in the way that D2 calculates "who can reach you", sometimes those zombies down there can hit you even if they appear to be out of reach behind a wall. I have almost lost a couple of Hardcore characters in this way, if the zombies are (say) Cursed or Extra Strong, they can do really unpleasant amounts of damage in only one or two hits. Orb is your friend here since you can throw it through an entranceway to a corridor beyond, the zombies are LI but not CI.

Honestly, you know where I think the best place is for a new Sorceress to MF, in Hell? You're going to laugh, but as G*d is my witness, this is the truth: Just wander around in the Blood Moor, killing things. You'd be amazed at what those Quill Rats, Carvers and Zombies can drop, especially if they're a boss. If you have Orb, you can run the Den of Evil quite easily (be careful with Waheed if Corpsefire is Cursed or Extra Strong, that can be a one hit situation), and if you do both of the above enough times, you should get more than enough to either wear or trade yourself through the rest of the Acts. You can also, if the monsters out there don't spawn with "killer" attributes, run Bishibosh, as well. Sometimes he drops decently (for example Nosferatu's Coil, 2 of which he dropped to my surprise).

"If it looks stupid, but it works, it isn't stupid."

Cheers

Mr_Bill

redground

Diabloii.Net Member

i was playing with the skill calculator and i am 100% sure that i am going to build a light orb sorc.

Gonna max charged bold, then lightning, then light master, then orb, 5 points into cold mastery then put the rest of the skill points into chain lightining, gonna use most of the time lightning and orb...

there are VERY few cold and light imunes, there are more fire cold imunes in hell. and i am going for pit, ancient, count, summo, pindle, meph (avoinding any other monster), andy.... i want to get to lvl 85 before start mfing, i am a patient guy and i am sure there are going to be plenety open baal runs to lvl up and reach lvl 85 in about 3 days.

Dirkw

Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, good points there. Most of my Sorceresses (and my other characters, in fact...) spend so much time in the Tunnels that they might as well build a condo down there, it would save on the commute time. A couple of other things, though:

-- For the Crypt / Mausoleum as well as the Tunnels, the big issue for a young Hell Sorceress is just getting there. You have to hoof it across the Cold Plains to get to the Crypt / Mausoleum (and of course dodge Blood Raven to zip into the right tomb entrance... has anyone ever gotten anything good off her? I sure haven't) and every time I do this with any character under about Level 84 or so, the game throws ridiculous packs of godly boss monsters (e.g. Corrupted Lancers / Brutes with Might, Conviction, Lightening Enchanted, Cursed, etc.) at me.

Here again, although it's not as bad as the bloody archer packs in the Pits, you have to be very careful to keep hapless old Waheed alive in these situations (which, BTW, is the reason why I never throw away a full rejuve potion... ever), because he's all there is between you and getting a nasty pointed stick, stuck right through you. You can try Teleporting... I sure wouldn't with a young Sorceress in Hardcore, the risk is far worse than the likely reward.

Incidentally, it can be "exciting" getting to the Tunnels, as well. Cold Immune Assailants are the main reason -- these dudes are usually not too bad, but they are really unpleasant if they have something like Cursed, Extra Strong or Might / Fanaticism, simply because they are natively very fast and can be all over Waheed in a split second -- and also, those cat thingies (forget the name, they're the ones with the whips) are actually faster, you have to be on your toes when they're around, especially if you don't have Cannot Be Frozen (one hit and your Sorceress starts moving verrrrry slowwwwly). The zombies in this area are usually easier targets, and if I get the chance I always pop Dark Elder, occasionally he drops something useful (like Shaftstop, for example, which I've got off of him a couple times). Most of the time, of course, he just drops crap, but at least you can sell it for cold hard cash.

-- Once you do get to the Crypt and the Mausoleum as a young Sorceress, watch out for stair traps just as you go down the entrance (I have only run into these once or twice but they're nasty) and, also, due to clipping errors in the way that D2 calculates "who can reach you", sometimes those zombies down there can hit you even if they appear to be out of reach behind a wall. I have almost lost a couple of Hardcore characters in this way, if the zombies are (say) Cursed or Extra Strong, they can do really unpleasant amounts of damage in only one or two hits. Orb is your friend here since you can throw it through an entranceway to a corridor beyond, the zombies are LI but not CI.

Honestly, you know where I think the best place is for a new Sorceress to MF, in Hell? You're going to laugh, but as G*d is my witness, this is the truth: Just wander around in the Blood Moor, killing things. You'd be amazed at what those Quill Rats, Carvers and Zombies can drop, especially if they're a boss. If you have Orb, you can run the Den of Evil quite easily (be careful with Waheed if Corpsefire is Cursed or Extra Strong, that can be a one hit situation), and if you do both of the above enough times, you should get more than enough to either wear or trade yourself through the rest of the Acts. You can also, if the monsters out there don't spawn with "killer" attributes, run Bishibosh, as well. Sometimes he drops decently (for example Nosferatu's Coil, 2 of which he dropped to my surprise).

"If it looks stupid, but it works, it isn't stupid."

Cheers

Mr_Bill
I think you should give your 'young sorceress' a break... You're taking it so seriously :').

The game is easy as pie with a decent character and when you die, it doesn't matter anyway.

Furthermore, if TS dies in the pits with his level 70 sorc, he'll inevitably come back here with a new topic saying 'help my sorc dies in the pits!!!', no matter what you post.

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member

I think you should give your 'young sorceress' a break... You're taking it so seriously :').

The game is easy as pie with a decent character and when you die, it doesn't matter anyway.

Furthermore, if TS dies in the pits with his level 70 sorc, he'll inevitably come back here with a new topic saying 'help my sorc dies in the pits!!!', no matter what you post.
MrBill plays on HC only, so dying isn't an option. Us SC player can sacrifice safety for efficiency (ie. if you die 1 in 100 meph runs, but can run 10% faster, then it's all good), HC players can't.

Another vouch for the meteorb (I mean fire ball/orb).

Leohappy

Diabloii.Net Member

best sorc for pits is lightning sorceress with infinity merc. there is only a few light immune archers which you can simply bypass with teleporting, and other monsters die easy even in 8player games. excellent for searching rare items and stuff.

and personally i think meteorb is too weak. it can defeat all monsters but slower. of course i mean 8player game, since in 1 player there is not enough drops to really make it worthwhile.

redground

Diabloii.Net Member

i am going with a light orb sorc, is it going to be too difficoult?