Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Most effective Necro!?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by jonx, Mar 22, 2005.

1. jonx

jonx IncGamers Member

Most effective Necro!?

I was going to start a new necro tommorrow, and I was just curious what is the most effective necromancer? in terms of PVM.. I don't do much PVP.

I hear commando-mancer is one of the best.. is that true!?

Is a commando-mancer the same as a summoner but the only deference is that he uses a lot of auras and beast!?

thanks

2. YamiRaziel

YamiRaziel IncGamers Member

PvM necro....by mine summon skelaton,mage and revive....also raise curses-IM and LR..that necro I use....

Summon Skelaton-lv 20
    Summon Mage-lv 20
    revive-lv 20
    Skelaton Mastery-lv 20
    Lower resist-lv 10
    Iron Maiden-lv 10

he is lv 90...its easy to kill on hell.....

3. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Define effective. The term is as vague as saying "the best". Everyone has a different view on what a build should be able to do in order to be effective.

The Commandomancer is a very strong build. However there is more to it than just toting Beast. The true commando takes full advantage of his weapon and decides to go toe-to-toe with his foes. This means that you will need to make compromises regarding your gear.

4. jonx

jonx IncGamers Member

well i mean a necro that could kill the most amount of monsters, in the least amount of time.. and be safe...

5. Mage-Scholar

Mage-Scholar IncGamers Member

Most Amount of Monsters

Summonmancer- Mass of minions means multiple attacks.
    Bonemancer- Spammable spells that either damage several, or massacre one.
    Poisonmancer- Lvl 30 gives way to a powerful AoE attack.
    Mojomancer- Iron Maiden and a target is pretty good. Just basing this one off of what I've read.

Fast Kill Speed

Summonmancer- I think Amp Damage takes care of Physical Immune, but mages can also do it.
    Bonemancer- Bone Spear for mass of enemies, Bone Spirit for one.
    Poisonmancer- Poison Damage takes about 2secs (or is it 4secs?) to deal all the damage. It was quite fast (but I had Trang-Oul's). Mine slowed down in hell.
    Mojomancer- I personally feel like laughing, but hey, I never tried it, and it probably could...maybe.

Safest

Summonmancer- Safest of all. Minions take damage instead of you. Act bosses will most likely dispatch your minions, but that 5+ targets b4 they reach you.
    Bonemancer- Fire from long range, run away, fire again, magic immunes will be pains, but they're rare. If enemies are plain annoying, Bone Wall, Bone Prison, and Bone Armor can be helpful. For act bosses, keep far away and use Bone Spirit. The auto-tracking will allow you to stay far away.
    Poisonmancer- Just run and click, no targetting required with Poison Nova. Unlike the Summonmancer, theres no 5 distracting targets...unless you get that Barbarian to come a bit closer... Also, to use Poison Nova on an act boss, you have to get pretty close to them.
    Mojomancer- Terror, Dim Vision, Confuse, and Attract. Unlike the other necros, distracting them usually results in them getting hurt. Otherwise, use Terror and your home free. Except if you meet a Possessed champion. Also, how do you beat an act boss with this?

The first 3 (except Mojomancer) are definitely capable of handling multiple monsters, killing them quickly, and are safe at the same time. Someone else has to comment on Mojomancer though. I still have to make one.

6. Growlor

Growlor IncGamers Member

If you're new to necros and want quick

satisfaction in PvM, try maxing raise skeleton (toss in a point to amp and bone armor when you get to say lvl 6 or so), then skeleton mastery. After this, just have some fun and try stuff. You can put one point in about everything and see what works for you at this point (I prefer to get a few revives, a few mages and build-up CE.) You'll want to try to favor +skills items in your equipment as skills are where most necro builds get their power.
    Try reading some of the guides to give you an idea of ways to enhance the way your build is going. Beware though: I created a "throw-away" char using this method (I call it a flexi-mancer as they can do OK in any situation) and liked it so much I played him to lvl 99!

Growlor

7. Mad Mantis

You'll only be able to kill melee monsters with any amount of speed. Archers and Magic users aren't effected by IM. You'll need something like Confusion or your Merc to deal with those. I wouldn't group this build in a "most effective" list.

8. corax

corax IncGamers Member

any necro with atleast slvl 1 amp and ce that can rack up 1-2 kills. pwnage for all

9. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

jonx with the amount of info you had in the last few weeks have you still not managed to try anything yet?

10. jonx

jonx IncGamers Member

yeah, I haven't relaly tried anything.. I am just trying to get enough information from the experts... (thats you guys).

I am sort of afraid to start... my MF hammerdin is getting all my gear for my necro, so when he finally has everything, then I will start building him, but until then, I figure it can't hurt to keep asking questions... :)

11. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

Summoners, Poisonmancers, and Bonemancers (plus the various hybrids,) can all be very "effective." If this is your first necro, choose the one you think will be most fun, or the one you think you can afford the gear for, and play him. Any of those choices will be fine.

12. Mad Mantis

Most builds will do very well without any gear if you don't plan on duelling. Starting untwinked will give you a lot of information regarding which strategies work.

13. Mage-Scholar

"I am just trying to get enough information from the experts..."

If I'm included...then I will hunt you down.

Summonmancer with Skeletons, Skeleton Mastery, Revivies, and Corpse Explosion with a point in Amp Damage is very effective. While Skeletons and Revives are doing great damage, Corpse Explosion deals even greater damage at the same time.

14. Dinkytoy

Dinkytoy IncGamers Member

biggest problem with summoner/corpse explosion is killing bosses, in my experience.

15. Mage-Scholar

Oops. Forgot about the bosses. I guess for Diablo, Mephisto, and Andariel, you could try to lure monsters or the bosses near the corpses *shrug*.

16. Bullet-Tooth Tony

Bullet-Tooth Tony IncGamers Member

Summoner has also 2 advantages:
    1) Pretty cheap. There are many uber items for him, but, in my opinion, there is no expensive items that are vital for him.
    2) Highly customizable. 20 in RS and SM, 1 in AD, CG, GM, Mages, Revive and SR - and the base of the build is complete. Next to no prerequisites. Which leaves more than 40 skillpoints that you could spend on Corpse Explosion, max mages, max synergies for BA, put 1 point in all curses for great versatility and crowd control, you can even consider bone attack spells, if you have Marrowwalks.
    Both Venomancer and Bonemancer requre more than 70 points just for the base build, so, there's not much for some extra options.

17. Mad Mantis

Some CB items for your Merc and some monsters with CB will do wonders.

18. Kaptain_Insano

Kaptain_Insano IncGamers Member

Personally I think the poison/summon hybrid has the ability to be the most fun and very powerful. Unfortunately it an expensive build if u want to make it work extremely well. ie. death's web, bramble, etc U get the best of both worlds in my opinion. You're skeletons may not be as strong as a summoner but with bramble u have massive thorns and that spell on it as well. Mine is around level 62 but I'm still looking for a web.

60 points in poison skills
    20 RS
    All other points in SM
    Try and get a wand with decrepify and lower resist and let your +skills work for u

Equip that I will use if I can get it all:

Trangs belt, shield and gloves
    deaths web
    bramble armor with 47 poison and 21 thorns (sweet roll eh)
    marrows
    soj,BK,maras
    green cap Shako

Its been a while since i tinkered with this build but i think that is about right

Cheers K

19. Dinkytoy

Dinkytoy IncGamers Member

Given this advice, what level would you recommend trying to fight Diablo, solo, in normal ?

I'm guessing about level 40-50 ?

20. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

I've soloed him at level 24. It's hard, but possible. It's all about golem placement and making sure you keep decrep on him. For some reason diablo will keep focus on your golem if you cast it on him when he first spawns. Then when your golem is low on life/dies in my experience he seems to focus on it still if you recast it on him. Just try to keep your skellies out of the lightning that way. I only had to resummon twice when I did it, and it was on hardcore as well.