Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Most effective - Council or Lower Kurast

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Raistlinorb, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Raistlinorb

Raistlinorb IncGamers Member

Hi i have been wondering this for a while and i cant seem to find out, what is more effective at finding High Runes, Council or Lower Kurast ?

I realize this depends on time as well, but say how fast would a council runner have to be in order for it to be more effective.

Or just tell me what information you have.

2. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

It depends very much on how highly you value a Cham. If you have a strong barbarian, the odds are actually in favor of finding high runes in Travincal. However it's a gambler's paradox, you may go without a single good find for a month then get a Cham and statistically you're still doing very well. But if you want the safer bet, go with Lower Kurast, however it does not drop Cham.

Raistlinorb likes this.
  3. Dazliare

Dazliare IncGamers Member

Goober pretty much nailed it. I'll add that LK can't drop Jah either. So if you only value ber+, then trav is your best bet, but if you still value pul/um/mal/etc, LK all the way.

The other thing worth mentioning is the exp in Trav. If you have a character that you want to level anyway, you might as well.

Raistlinorb likes this.
  4. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

If you care to do some reading here's a good post from Gripphon going over some of the numbers and explaining some of the reasonings. In case you don't or someone else is popping in just for an answer, I'll hit a couple high points.

What Travincal offers: Cham and S/Us, especially facets and jewelry. What Travincal loses at: runes up to Jah (this relies on runtimes, certainly, but for the most part it's tough to answer a general question with a specific answer; grip's post had some info on this but suffice to say if your LK times are good your Trav times need to be quite good to beat them) and... basically everything else - jewels, charms, gems - including being accessible when starting out.

To be fair, Travincal also offers a less-boring experience, at least for those who dislike LK, and a more exciting challenge, but that doesn't factor in to the results (I mean it does, insofar as you're more likely to play if you enjoy the runs than if you don't).

Raistlinorb likes this.
  5. Raistlinorb

Hi Thanks alot for your posts, this was exactly what i was looking for :)

I have two questions still - (now that im continuing running Lk at least for a while)

Do you have any tips, to make sure you do not miss high rune drops, i worry quite alot if the reason im not seeing any Ber's is that its out of screen (even though i think rationally its rather that the odds of me seeing a ber are just bad)

Ive forgotten my second question ill edit it in once i can remember.

And yeah i thought i would like LK but i must say im finding it a waste of life right now, so repetitive and uneventful lol :D.

Thanks for the response

6. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

^play while watching stuff on youtube :p

rule of thumb I've read and would agree with from experience is to look at drops, then tele to the right because this will sometimes show some of the buried drops. You can always spam-pickup pots or gold as well (try having 1-3 rows empty in your belt so you can drink them as you pick them up).

Also, make sure to be holding alt (or whatever hotkey it is set to) to show items the moment you hit the chest. When the items are cycling and dropping you will likely be able to see an orange flash if there is a rune. Experience tells me that you'll almost always see orange quickly if a rune drops, and if you didn't read what it said, you can check to see what it was by doing the above two things.

SunsetVista and Raistlinorb like this.
  7. Raistlinorb

Thanks for the tip :)

Ok i think the last question i forgot was

Is there still a working run counter ? I tried downloading silopens but it seems to only link to some Color Rune Mod thing ? Cant figure out which exe to run in order to start Run counter

Yay just found Ohm, it hasnt all been a waste then lol

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  8. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Here I explained and demonstrated how to scan stuff fast in LK. Similar principle is in Travincal with barb, but try to hork with alt key pressed too to check orange flashes same way.

Raistlinorb likes this.
  9. Raistlinorb

Thanks, youve made some really useful posts Gripphon!

10. Raistlinorb

Is there still a working run counter ? I tried downloading silopens but it seems to only link to some Color Rune Mod thing ? Cant figure out which exe to run in order to start Run counter

11. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

Ask your the question: will you get bored with LK and the continous item searching?

12. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

Here's the link for silo's advanced run counter. Assuming you're on Windows 7 or later install it to the desktop or My Documents to help avoid permission issues.

Raistlinorb likes this.
  13. logoutzero

logoutzero IncGamers Member

For me, Trav > LK because, well, LK bores me. The end answer is "The one you can run is more effective than not doing any runs!" :p

TheNix and Raistlinorb like this.
  14. Raistlinorb

Thanks for all your answers :)

Yes i think in the end Travincal is more fun for me as it feels like i have a challenge. Whereas the most challenging part of a LK run is the loading screen and main menu, both of which are bothering me by now.

But 2 Ohms so i guess it aint all bad.

Thanks friends