Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Most Conc Damage posts please?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by mastrinidad, Feb 23, 2004.

1. mastrinidad

mastrinidad IncGamers Member

Most Conc Damage posts please?

Im starting to level up my mace barb because ultimately hes going to wear the IK set. His str will prob be a little bit more than the requirements. Prob about 250-300. Some on Dex and the rest on vitality. I was going to go old school and WW/Berserk as my attacks.

However, tho its slow going I want to ask what sort of Poss. damage I could enflict with concentrate. Might I ask some of your findings? Your best poss damage you could get with it. If it looks promising then I might give it go to go the Conc/Berserk route instead. (you dont need to post it with the IK maul...whatever weapon you use is fine..I jsut want some ideas)

Thanks

PS: Ugh..THIS was my 100th post?...yuck

2. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

I can scratch around +- 9k between my gear and might merc, this being with an ethereal BotD berserker axe.

-Hal

3. ploof

ploof IncGamers Member

holy crap. I'm sitting at a (what I thought was) pretty nifty 5.2k damage with a non eth BotD zerker axe and my might merc... only level 78 though (merc and barb both). Maybe that's my problem?

Is a 50% increase in damage really worth an extra 4k ?

what the heck are you wearing? Lol. :hanky:

maybe it's cuz i'm a conc barb.

4. xtc_sazabi

xtc_sazabi IncGamers Member

my WW barb can get about 6.9 K with no merc and only 1 point in Conc.

5. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

It's not just an extra 50% damage increase; the ethereal bonus applies before regular damage modifiers in the damage equation, which in turn makes it a LOT more powerful. For example, lets say you had a weapon that did 100 damage, and a damage modifier of 400% ed. A normal version of that weapon would do 500 damage. An ethereal version, however, would do 750 damage (100 x 1.5 for it being ethereal first, making the base damage 150, and then that number multiplied by the 400%). This is what makes ethereal weapons so much better for BotD.

Of course, my barb is also stacked out in the gear/charms department, with max conc, bo, mastery, and bash. You can see a list of my gear on the third page of the conc guide thread.

-Hal

6. ploof

ploof IncGamers Member

7. AzrealChrona

AzrealChrona IncGamers Member

hmmm, what am i doing wrong then hal. I have a doombringer, arreats, silks, mosers, and some damage charms, with maxed mastery, conc, bo, shout, but i am only doing about 1.5k to 2.5 k damage, (max of 2.8k with my lvl 42 might merc) (i'm lvl 76) I have about 200 strength, and though i never really get hurt, i can't seem to do any damage. I'm thinking of just giving up and switching to my hammerdin in progress. Do i really need a botd in order to get that kinda damage?

8. m1rage

m1rage IncGamers Member

Doombringer only gives around 280 max damage while a good eth botd zerk axe can deal upwards of 500+. So yes, having a eth botd weapon does make a huge difference.

9. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Az:

Yes and no. You can get to 4k or so rather easily between a cruel weapon and a might merc, but if you want to hit the really big numbers of 6k+, you're going to need something ethereal, with a huge damage mod - more or less BotD.

Your main problem is your weapon; doombringer has really, really low damage now, compared to other items you can get. I have one on my old 858 mf barb, and his damage is laughable as well, even though all of his skills are maxxed. Look into replacing that first and foremost.

Something else you really need to do, if you havn't already, is try and get your hands on a Highlord's Wrath amulet - that deadly strike makes things go a whole lot quicker, since at higher levels you'll be hitting for double damage very often. Gore Riders are nice for this as well, so take a look at those; they should help you out quite a bit.

-Hal

10. mastrinidad

mastrinidad IncGamers Member

a lot of people are talking about the eth BOTD axe...how about any of the 2-handers?

11. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

People mainly just refer to the botd axe in the berserker axe form, since it's the most powerful one-hander in the game. Not a lot of people invest in making two-handed axes, since poles, spears, and maces put out so much more damage.

-Hal

12. katanadaishi

katanadaishi IncGamers Member

So I finally put together what I considered "twinked gear?" for my axe/shield barb now at Level 82

ETH 360% BOTD Zerk Axe
    Enigma
    8/15 String of Ears
    57/18 Steelrend Gloves
    420/300/33 Metalgrid Amulet
    6/7 Dual Leech Ring with mods
    6/8 Dual Leech Ring with mods
    War Travs
    Stormshield (nothing on socket yet)
    Arreat's (nothing on socket yet)
    5 x 10 Max Dam /40 AR /Life GCs
    2 x Warcry GCs with life

Skill points and stats based on the CONC guide on this forum. (maxed out CONC, AM, BO AND SHOUT. I might put on IS to increase DEF)

I am doing 7K CONC damage without might merc and about 8K damage with might merc. I'm not sure if I can hit Hal's damage if I put 40 ED Jewels in both my Stormshield and my Arreats.

My character is on ladder so getting 40/IAS or 40/MD will be too expensive. I might settle for 30/IAS or 30/MD.

One freaking thing to note though: Even when I hit 8K damage with my might Merc it still takes about 10-15 hits to kill anything in the Worldstone Keep to the Worldstone Chamber on a full 8 player game. This is pretty sad whenever I recall how my Lance/WW barb back in 1.08 easily killed any non-boss in hell mode in just about 2-3 WWs.

I thought the ETH BOTD axe was gonna bring back the good old days of 1.08 WW ease but Blizzard really nerfed melee too much even the most powerful weapon can't cope.

13. bmh yak 18

bmh yak 18 IncGamers Member

i wouldn't say that...
    my barb can kill almost anything in worldstone with 3 WWs or 2 zerks or PI immunes like 2-3 zerks. he is lvl 91 tho and has the uber amount of str (over 400 without shield!).

question for you...do you have any anny charm. b/c i found that this dramatically increased my dam...and really helped overall.

14. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Kata:

Your lack of deadly strike and crushing blow are hindering your killing speed; look into Highlord's Wrath and/or Gore Riders (though travs are fine too), as they speed things up a lot (effectively doubling your damage a good 70% of the time or so, in combination with mastery).

Also, if by 30/md you mean 30/max or 30/min damage jewels, don't bother; they are bugged/nerfed, and do not give the correct damage in armor/helms/shields. ed/ias or ed/str are your best choices.

Why so much leech, btw? You shouldn't need it so bad as a conc barb. Maybe replace a ring with raven for CBF/save stats and the belt with Verdungo's for life/fhr. Just some suggestions, of course, the rest of your gear looks great.

-Hal

15. katanadaishi

Thanks for your reply Hal, I appreciate it. I actually have highlord's wrath but chose the metalgrid over it for the insane additional defense I get out of it. With metalgrid my defense is 16+K after Shout without it is around 12K. I guess I'll have to sacrifice the 4K defense if I am keener on having faster killing power than just standing there and not getting hit (which is actually quite cool because last night I left my barb in the middle of a major battle to pick up the phone for about 3 minutes when I came back he was pretty much unscathed. This was in a hell baal run). I could use Gore Riders but that will drop my damage though if I remove War Travs. But since you're the CONC master I will heed your advice.

I have a gazilion leech because I am still thinking from old school where the more leech you have the greater your chances of winning a barb vs barb duel. Please tell me if my thoughts are no longer in-sync with what's really important in 1.10.

16. katanadaishi

What's your set up? You mind sharing it?

I have an almost perfect annihilus ahd have 340+ STR with shield. But just like what Hal said I am missing two very important mods: critical strike and crushing blow. I'll use those items tonight and see what happens.

17. JamesMartigo

JamesMartigo IncGamers Member

My new concentrate Barbarian is 1373 - 3436 damage, without might.

He's level 85, and had 280 strength with items. Concentrate, Sword Mastery, and Battle orders are maxed.
    I'm wearing a NON-Ethereal Collossus blade with BotD, and I'm also wearing 29% ED jewel in my Arreat's Face, en 39% ED jewel in my Stormshield.

I followed Halciet's guide (which is most excellent by the way! :worship: ) in terms of stat point and skill point distribution. I'm wearing most of his recommended items as well. Only I'm wearing war travelers iso Gore Rider, and a +2 to all skills, 6% mana leach, and 20% MF rare amu iso Highlords Wrath.

I have little problems with act 4 and 5 hell, since my resistances are maxed, 75% block, and sufficient defense and lifestore. This character could survive hardcore :).

The only thing that's lagging behind a bit is the damage. It takes me a long while to kill Baal in a single player game, let alone fighting anywhere on players 8. What's holding me back?

18. banditto1969

banditto1969 IncGamers Member

What about IK Barbs. Not sitting at my computer right now so I can't tell you exactly. But I believe I get around 4500 or 5000 using the full IK set and pretty much the cookie cutter build, trying to have more health than strength.

Does that sound right?

19. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

Ya baal aint to tuff for us Barbs, but damn, hes defense is awesome. I also noticd the tiiiiime it takes to kill baal with my concnetrate, even in single player. Heck i even tried my 14k AR Barb, and still hes hard to hit.
    I was using cresent moon, which really speeded things up, but then sloooows down once static finished all it was going to do.

I use DoomBringer, and with my merc I do around 3500's damage.My merc doing around 4300's damage, we take care of busniess, tho yes prob not near as fast as most, but no way in hell were dying.:) So for now its viablility, over mucho damage for me.
    Besides, I can take on ancients, me and my merc, in a full room in Hell...I cant complain about much of anything for my Barb. :thumbsup:

20. JamesMartigo

JamesMartigo IncGamers Member

The durability of this build is incredible. Most monsters and boss packs aren't even dangerous anymore. Taunt helps with the Gloams, and Berzerk stops instant death in levels with Oblivion Knights. I've replaced my beautiful +2 skill ammy with highlords wrath, and war trav with gore rider, as advised above, and this speeded things up a bit against Baal, and even more so against regular monsters (the 20% IAS on Highlord's must have brought me past a breaking point). I also did an experiment with crushing blow gear (including a socketed phase blade with some Ber runes in it). I reached 100% chance of Crushing Blow and ignore target defense (does this work on actbosses?), and this speeded Baal up considerably.