Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Most and Least Popular Classes

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Most and Least Popular Classes

I closed the current vote today, and since the results were kind of interesting to compare, and since the main page news script is still bugged about allowing comments on vote threads, here's a post for that talk.

Here are the new vote totals, for the least popular character, as of July 2010:
    Here are the most popular character vote totals, from March 2010:
    Admittedly, the questions aren't exactly the same, but I think they were close enough to not skew the results. I'll change the wording of the questions to more exactly mirror one another, when I run these again in some months, after the 5th char is revealed. And yes, it would be best if we had a cool script that let you guys rank all 5 chars in 1-5 order, but alas...

So, looking at the results, the Barb is the most popular, but also the 2nd least popular. The Wiz is the 2nd most popular, but far and away the least, least popular. (Fifth char votes are essentially meaningless on these 2 polls, for obvious reasons.) The WD is almost no one's first choice, but hardly anyone says they won't play the class at all. And much the same goes for the Monk.

Will the 5th class reveal shake this up? Will the eventual, actual power/utility of the chars triumph over pre-game hopes and dreams (probably).

How about this for a future vote question. If you had D3 in your hands, but only had an hour to play, and could only play one character... which would it be? Would you answer that question differently if you had a full day to play?

2. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

Re: Most and Least Popular Classes

a 1-5 would be best could it be done in a thread? maybe too annoying to count. i think the 5th class will change the results greatly also since even though i felt it is who i would use i did not want to vote on a char i have not seen yet so i picked wiz best monk worst

3. Leugi

Leugi IncGamers Member

Hmn... the problem is that when there are more than 2 good answers for some such a poll is rather misleading... That's probably why the polls had such strangely different results...

It wouldn't in my case. I love the Monk, and would use him in such a situation.

4. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

5. MonsterOfTheLake

MonsterOfTheLake IncGamers Member

I've had D2 for a decade or so, and I've yet to make an Assassin or Paladin. For D3, that'll be the Witch Doctor and the Monk - there is absolutely, positively no way that I'll play them.

6. Apocalypse

i made every char for d2 and the only one i never actually got into was the assassin. i have at least one of each into hell dif though i admit the druid only made it from some group games with friends, would not play him alone ever lol. so i liked all the original choices (paladin pretty boring though) and the 2 xpac classes were imo far worse

7. Flux

Flux Administrator

Just to counter my own initial comment on ranking character preferences 1-5... That might not tell us all that much, since most people probably don't have firmly set preferences in the middle range. I don't, anyway.

At this point I'd definitely go for the Wizard first, and the Barbarian last, though I'd definitely play all 4 chars, and might well wind up playing a lot of Barb once I got into the late game. But would I vote Monk or WD 2nd or 3rd? Not sure. And that mushiness in the middle will probably just increase once there's a 5th char added into the mix.

Or go back to D2; I would definitely put Amazon as my fave, and I've never played more than just a little bit of Asn. But 2-6th? Probably Sorc 2nd, but I really enjoy MF/Hork barbs. And Zealots are fun. And Fury Druids, and CE Necros, sometimes.

My point is that while my first and last votes are fairly solid, the rest are fuzzy and very subject to change, and thus polls that list just the first and last might tell us as much or more than one ranking all 5 or 7 chars... ?

8. ThomasJ

ThomasJ IncGamers Member

Why no love for my Witch Doctor ? That is a shame because I think he is the most exciting class out of them all and the Monk being
    2nd most exciting.

9. Apocalypse

witch doctor looks fun to me. the monk on the other hand is a bit blah to me

10. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Of course he is. You just have to take away the speed and explosions. :)

11. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

The monk looks roughly 150,163 times cooler than the witch doctor.

Of course, so does pocket lint.

12. Thecla

Thecla IncGamers Member

The D3 classes strike me personally as all pretty uninspired or unattractive, so it's hard to get too worked up about them.

The Barbarian is fine but it's not a class I'd really have picked to come back from D2. The Wizard seems like basically a retread of the Sorceress, which is also fine even if it's totally lacking in originality. I find both the Witchdoctor and the Monk unappealing -- if anything, they remind me of the D2 expansion classes the druid and assassin, which IMO were far and away the least successful of all of the D2 classes, though maybe the Witchdoctor has a bit of the Necromancer in him (I sincerely hope so). The fifth class better be some sort of rogue/amazon ranged-type character, which is my own character preference, but if so that's hardly inspired either.

Maybe it's not possible to come up with any class that's radically new and interesting at this point, but I'm still surprised by how dull the choices seem.

That said, it doesn't really matter too much if they're fun to play. My preference order in D1 was:

1. Rogue; 2. Sorceror; 3. Warrior.

And in D2:

1. Amazon; 2. Sorceress; 3. Barbarian; 4. Necromancer; 5. Paladin

with 6. Druid; 7. Assassin way, way below.

So in D3 I'd see it my own likely preferences as

1. 5th class (assuming it's one with archer-type capabilities); 2. Wizard. 3. Barbarian; 4. Witchdoctor; 5. Monk.

As always, YMMV.

13. Apocalypse

really the main point of the initial classes is to reach as many people as possible thats why i am sure the 5th is a bow user. they already have strength and speed melee covered they got the magic so bow should be next. thats when i will get more passion for the characters.

also i personally have already picked male or female for each class which probably wont matter for some people but its a big thing for me when making a character so i love that i can be both. to me it makes me more involved in the new characters while some people might feel less attached to them because of the multi sex.

14. GoldenBird

GoldenBird IncGamers Member

Being not so big on the warrior archetype, I'm sure Barb will remain last on my list to play, if at all. Monk looks like it may remain at second last, though I'd be willing to try it out as it is probably closest to Assassin, my favorite D2 class (in terms of speedy melee). WD will probably remain first on the list, though it may fight with the 5th class, depending on how cool it is. Never really understood the WD hate. I don't see what's so bad about him. To me he's the only character that is really different. And no, I personally don't detect very much resemblance to the Necro.