Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Moron editors! Can't we prosecute these guys?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Underseer, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

Moron editors! Can't we prosecute these guys?

Jeebus wept!

The major local paper has as its most prominent front page article a story that gives away details of a future military operation.

Even if that moron editor doesn't get some American serviceman killed as a result of publishing that article, he's still lowering the chances of the mission's success.

The bitter irony is that this is a right-of-center newspaper and the story is kind of a "rah-rah" war article. Shouldn't righties theoretically know better?

2. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

*hits underseer with a stick*

let the debate begin

3. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

What did it say in the article?

4. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

This thread won't go anywhere without more details.

Who wrote the article?

Where did the writer get the information in it?

Was that information released by someone in the military?

Did that military person consider the prospects for the operation when releasing the information?

What level of detail are we talking here? "We're thinking of invading Syria" or "at 0300 GMT on April 4 sixteen Marines will parachute into a field west of Damascus"?

A year ago George Bush was filling every single speech he made with details about an upcoming military operation, you know . . .

5. Underseer

OK, I'm way off base here.

I've since noticed this same information from other news sources. These other news sources indicate that the information comes from the Pentagon itself (CNN article). Ugh. Although the Chicago Tribune article made this sound a lot more imminent than "next Spring".

My father was a career public affairs officer for the Air Force and used to complain constantly about how the military keeps things secret that shouldn't be (e.g. things the enemy already knows and that our own public doesn't) and leaks things that shouldn't be leaked (e.g. information that could endanger missions or lives). I mean, do we really need to let Osama know we're planning a big push to dig him out of his hole? Did we really need to give him such a big warning so far in advance? Now Al Qa'eda has extra time to prepare defenses, plant booby traps, etc., while Osama has plenty of time to make adjustments to his escape plans, or even move out central Asia entirely.

6. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

Uh, US troops have been in Afghanistan hunting for Osama for over 2 years. If he hasn't figured out that we're out to get him by now, there's something seriously wrong.

This is a non-issue.

7. Underseer

Yes, he is undoubtedly aware that we are hunting for this. You get a cookie for figuring this out.

But these reports indicate specific changes being made to what we're doing and how we're doing it. They're even talking about which specific regions will be targeted most fiercely, and giving a time frame. If all they said was "we're out to get him" as you suggest, then I would have no problem with any of this. However revealing operational details is an issue.

8. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

Looking at that article, I'd have to say that no details have been revealed. Saying "we're going to look for him in the southwest once it warms up" is hardly revealing anything.

Consider this: If we've spent all our time in the northeast or the east, and haven't found him, and everyone in a 1,000 mile radius knows that, what would common sense tell you is going to happen next? 3 year olds know that if they can't find their ball in the bedroom, maybe they should check the kitchen. Or the bathroom. Or any place that isn't the bedroom.

Secondly, there isn't a lot of CNN.com access in caves.

9. Underseer

You are underestimating the value of information in war. Maybe they could have predicted that we would come after the southwest, but now they know we're coming to the southwest. That's a big difference, and that difference allows al Qa'eda to more efficiently deploy forces. I mean, if your enemy might come at you in both region A and region B, you have to put defenders in both regions. Once you know the enemy is coming to B, then you can pull all your forces out of A and move them to B.

Moreover they can make pretty safe predictions of likely targets in the region in question. Given advanced warning of months, they now have plenty of time to improve fortifications, add boobey traps, etc. Yes, they could have done this before, but now they know not to do this anywhere else.

More important, some of the repots I have seen indicate we're going to be conducting operations in the tribal regions of Pakistan, something we have not done up until now due to political considerations. As something we haven't done before, this could have had at least a chance of gaining an element of surprise. Now there is no chance.

Do you really believe that Osama and the people around him have no contact with the outside world? It's a pretty safe bet that no matter what cave Osama and Ayman are in, they can get information to their followers and their followers can get information to them.

10. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

They do? I didn't see any order confirmations in that article.