Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

More Useful Mercenary's

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by xxcue, Dec 11, 2009.

1. xxcue

xxcue Diabloii.Net Member

More Useful Mercenary's

Be able to control mercenary's better than D2
    Left click mercenary then Right click on ground or monster to new destination with menu:
    attack
    Hold Position

**If monster close to mercenary attacks anyways**

Right click mercenary
    Talk - Short Story about the mercenary and how it wants to serve you...
    Equip Torch

In Battle Notifications
    Recive Mail - Mail icon over mercenary head when you recieve mail message
    Blizzard Maintenance Notifications - over mercenarys head (Server US East Shutdown in 5 min)
    Friends are now online - over mercenarys head
    Warning evil is ahead - over mercenarys head
    Warning your life is low - over mercenarys head

set focas on mercenarys and or players (like WoW)
    cast spells on mercenarys so they can use a specific spells (buff)

2. Moonfrost

Moonfrost Diabloii.Net Member

Re: More Useful Mercenary's

Nobody wants to waste time on micro-managing their mercenaries in a fast-paced game like Diablo. That's why the mercs pretty much live their own lives, so you - the player - can focus on stuff that's more fun, like killing monsters and casting pretty spells.

As for the in battle notifications, it would be much better to just have the things pop up in the corner or something, than above your mercenaries head (and thus move all over the screen, making them hard to read). Like most chat services do nowadays (MSN and Steam, to name two that I use).

Set focus seems kind of pointless, but allowing certain player buffs to affect mercenaries is a good idea. Every time you cast the spell on yourself, that effect could be applied to your merc, though some balance issues would likely occur as a result.

3. Flux

Flux Administrator

True, and this isn't an RTS, but I always thought they should at least hve a couple/few different AI settings. Kinda like Torchlight does, where you can set the pet for aggressive or defensive. What I wanted from a merc when I was playing a bowazon was much different than if was playing a Zealadin, etc.

The very fact that they had one type of (dumb) AI caused much more merc micromanaging, since they'd run too far away, or refuse to break off combat, etc, causing me to have to feed them more potions, run a screen or three to get them to warp back, etc.

Now that can all be argued as part of gameplay, or a trade off I made for the benefit of the bonus aura, etc. Which is true, but it undermines any kind of "too much AI = micromanaging and that's a PitA."

4. Moonfrost

Yup, I doubt anyone would say no to improved AI :) I was mainly saying the "left click on merc, right click on destination, click button X so merc performs action Y" kind of approach would slow things down too much. Different AI settings (e.g. passive/aggressive or perhaps ranged/melee) would be far easier to use and definitely an improvement over the D2 berserker AI.

5. xxcue

xxcue Diabloii.Net Member

I was just trying to think of ways to make them better than before is all.
    Thank you for the replies

Peace, XXCUE

6. Ed from Russia

Ed from Russia Diabloii.Net Member

IMO they can get rid of mercenaries altogether.

Or make them disposable. You may get them to help you with a specific quest or get them as a reward or something. But you shouldn't need to focus on finding equipment or leveling your merc.

7. cacophony

cacophony Diabloii.Net Member

Same goes for summons and minions; there should be an aggressive and defensive. Although, maybe add a "curse" or targeting spell for summoners so that you can control where your minions attack. Also useful for blowing them up in the right spots.

8. Flux

Flux Administrator

Well in my ideal game, there are tons of features and controls, and players can use them or not. Apparently a lot of people never use the weapon switch hotkey in D2X. I'd have thought that inconceivable, but plenty of people have admitted it in threads, such as the one following my "no hot f***ing key???!11!" rant after our Jay Wilson interview.

I know lots of people didn't bother to remap the hotkeys to buttons more convenient than F1-8.

And I'm sure if there were soemthing like, "press control+M to bring up a special cursor that you could click to force your merc to stand on that location" most people would never use it. I wouldn't have used it often in D2, but plenty of times I would have. To keep the idiot away from some MSLE that would kill him in a blink, to keep him back from Diablo's pink hose of doom, to keep him standing still between my bowazon and the valk that was tanking, etc.

Unfortunately, the D3 Team has made fairly clear that they're dumbing down the controls and game to a lowest common denominator, and that theythink any features not so obvious and simple that everyone can use them shouldn't be included at all. That's not at all the philosophy I'd take with game design, and it's odd to compare that to the highly skill-intensive, technical play required to succeed at SC2, but it's what WoW did, and it's what they're doing. Which makes me, or anyone, wishing for special cool controls that most people wouldn't want to use.... a useless effort.

9. Kretschmer

Kretschmer Diabloii.Net Member

I would prefer the removal of permanent hirelings. They diluted the D2 play experience and crippled any balance between classes.

10. cacophony

cacophony Diabloii.Net Member

WoW's controls ARE much, MUCH more technical and skill-intensive than D2's ever were. I had to buy a gaming keypad w/ the thumb-stick to play WoW. In fact, Click-to-Move is a major step BACKWARDS in control and complexity; no strafing or shoot and move maneuvering.

As it pertains to D3, it's true, I'd like more than what has been given us thus far. Maybe a second skill bar that you can shift/control/alt press. And if they do get rid of click-to-move, you have all sorts of control options open up regarding shift clicking, shift right-clicking, etc etc. I've gotten too used to having 20 skills easily punched in the heat of battle (in one hand no less) along w/ four mouse buttons. But again, that's all contingent on them removing click-to-move, which it doesn't sound like they want to do.

11. Moonfrost

Yup, WoW can be played with just your mouse, but if you wish to succeed on a somewhat competetive level then tons of keybinds and macros are absolutely vital. That's part of the whole "easy to learn, hard to master" design that makes WoW appeal to so many different people.

12. Inkarnus

Inkarnus Diabloii.Net Member

I think mercs should have 3 modes that you can set from fight to fight.

1 Offensive. The attack even if you dont.
    2 Defensive. If you run, they follow you.
    3 Normal. They try to defend a position, they dont run away as fast as you, but they dont stay for ever if you run either.

I only use mercs now as a complement. After synergies was implemented as it is, I need a merc to handle the ones that are imune. If I only needed 20+20 to max a spell+synergi, I would build hydrids and dont be as dependent on mercs.

And if i would have to choose between this:

* 4 players max in a game + mercs
    * 8 players max in a game and no mercs.

I would prefer 8 players. I would prefer more players even if it was max 6. One player from each class must be a minimum. Would be nice when you start a game if you can choose a checkbox: Allow mercs. If checked max players is 5. If not checked max is 8 and no one can summon their merc.

13. Wirt

Wirt Diabloii.Net Member

How hard can it be? Titan Quest has it:
    Click means move or attack for your character.
    SHIFT-click means move or attack for your merc(s) and/or minion(s).

That's not micro-management, it's a simple way to make mercs behave useful.
    A lot of players like having a merc or minions (Necro anyone?) and would love to have this basic option to command their movement or attacks.
    Titan Quest also has the option to select a minion and make that one attack, but maybe thats luxury.

Wirt

14. Jordanbcool

Jordanbcool Diabloii.Net Member

I love the idea of clicking on your mercenary and having it tell and brief story of why it wants to follow you or some of the things its seen wherever you're at or happened to first get it.

For example: In diablo 2 LOD the act 5 barbarian mercenary could describe his love of combat, how you're a brave warrior or how he wants revenge on baal for ruining his homeland.

This is an awesome idea and if I remember I will find a way to get blizzard to take a look :)

I dislike the idea of notifications popping up. That detracts from the gameplay, if I'm fighting diablo for the first time in an epic battle the last thing I wanna see on my screen is a big "lag has occurred" "realm down" or other senseless notifications.

Aside from that I'd improve the mercenary AI a bit (such as not running into combat with iron maiden cast) and then leave it alone. I like how they are sort of tag along and not THAT involved in your questing/fighting. Being more involved in this sense makes it feel as if I couldn't fight diablo by myself. I should be the main character while my mercenary is sort of following me around.