Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

more smite dmg

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by mugana, Sep 4, 2006.

1. mugana

mugana IncGamers Member

more smite dmg

what will give me more smite dmg? maxing defiance or smite itself? I have a 1 pt smiter for uber killing and was wondering what i should spend my remaining skill points in. I have maxed holy shield, zeal, sacrifice, and fanaticsm. I only have 1 pt in defiance and smite

2. mugana

mugana IncGamers Member

also, physical immmunes are a pain for my pally. What can i do to kill them?

3. erejamnilstiar

erejamnilstiar IncGamers Member

1pt vengeance, 1 pt conviction is good to take phys immunes, if its a problem after that, use a famine on wep swap

4. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

AFAIK, Defiance only increases Holy Shield's defense bonus as a synergy. It doesn't increase your actual smite damage.

5. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

Gimmershred (the unique Flying Axe) has tons of elemental damage for PI's and can be thrown to attack IM casters; it can also be bought for just a few pgems. Atma's Scarab is another cheap option, giving you a 5% chance to cast Amplify Damage which breaks immunity.

On the expensive side anything that has Sanctuary aura (i.e. Azurewrath) breaks PI for undead and the runeword Law Bringer casts Decrepify which also breaks immunity. Law Bringer has the added benefit of being able to be made in a scepter, such as a +Vengeance or +Conviction scepter.

P.S. You really shouldn't need more than 1 point in Smite to do Ubers, the points can be better spent elsewhere. If you're not doing enough damage to kill an Uber look into more Crushing Blow and a source of Open Wounds to negate their life regen.

6. mugana

mugana IncGamers Member

where should i put the rest of my skill points into? I will def get conviction and vengeance

Ps. I tried vengeance on some ghosts, and it damages them but my lifetap does not do anything. I can cast lifetap on them but my hits dont steal health. WTF?

7. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

Lifetap only steals physical damage, Vengeance converts most of your damage to elemental damage and lowers the amount stolen by Lifetap. Also, you cannot Lifetap any physically immune monster.

Edit to clarify: Vengeance will steal as much health via Lifetap as a normal attack will, just not the ridiculous amount it would steal with say..Zeal because of the nature of the damage it provides. Your problems are stemming from the physical immunity more than Vengeance itself.

I would put the rest of you points into either Defiance for the Holy Shield synergy, Blessed Aim for the passive 5% per point AR bonus, or into the Resist auras for the passive +0.5 to maximum resists (respectively) per point.

8. mugana

mugana IncGamers Member

so what can i do to survive against a pack of PI? i have max block, max res, and 13k def.

PS. The 2nd pack of minions in baal, kill me. The poison dmg just kills my pally and lifetap does not kick in. IS it because they are immune to magic?

9. munchkins

munchkins IncGamers Member

magic immune wont touch a smiter... get better res, or stand back and throw so they dont shoot poison at you... but if you cant do the second wave then you will probably have trouble with all the ones after it too...\

Get more resistance

for PI's, vengeance, or just dont kill them...

10. mugana

mugana IncGamers Member

i have max res. I managed to do the 2nd wave but it required hit and run tactics, which i do not like. For some reason, lifetap does not work on them.