more reasons to boycott Nike

Tridge

Diabloii.Net Member
more reasons to boycott Nike

they've ripped off Ian McKaye/Minor threat/Discord with their "Major Threat" summer ad campaign for their skateshoe line.

They are using the graphic from the Minor Threat discography cover art as the banner for this campaign, changing only the name "Minor Threat" to "Major threat".
This corporation is the antithesis of everything Ian/MT/discord stands for, and they are blatantly and unashamedly using the Ian/MT/Disc. name/image to rip off impressionable kids and the world at large with thier disregard for copyright law, predatory profitering, and unspeakable child labor practices the world over.
If you are not currently involved in a boycott of Nike and its subsidiaries, i strongly encourage you to research these points and make a descision for yourself.
call/email/write them and tell them how you feel.
Increase the pressure!
(my sig from another forum)_________________
Few reactionary movements have been as successful in the US to date as the so-called "Religious Right" -- evangelical, fundamentalist Christians, who hold the Bible as literal truth and who seek to destroy the barrier between Church (their church, of course) and State and build One Nation Under God(tm). They want to create a reactioanry theocracy -- they are the American Taliban.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't know who "Ian/MT/discord" is, but until you come up with a link to a story about this person's/company's lawsuit against Nike I'm just going to assume that Nike threw a stack of cash at him/it and he/it sold out.

EDIT: Never mind, I did the homework for you. :p

http://www.dischord.com/news/index.shtml

Anyway, looks like an open-and-shut case of blatant copying. I think Nike will be coming up with that stack of cash to keep it out of court.

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
Another case of a blatant rip off by a large company over a small one. Expect a payoff for sure...

Never seen that before... :fish:

Never see that again... :cheesy:

KnightFall

Tridge

Diabloii.Net Member
Herald of Doom said:
So I should toss away my 70$ freshly bought sandals now? :(

HoD
my mission is to inform, not to tell you what to do ^^;
I merely wanted to make some people aware of such things (the word-of-mouth campaign has been doing very well, actually), and encourage people to do what they feel is right, regardless of whatever side they join.
Life is all about choices.. my advice to you is to be informed of the pro and con to each side(s)/faction/belief/in whatever you do, and make the descision for YOU, because YOU want to. Beware pretty stripes and bright stars, they are made to blind the eyes...
in summation: in western printed literature, eash page is printed front and back. Many have said that life is like a book, be sure to read both sides of the page.

Tridge

Diabloii.Net Member
DurfBarian said:
Some of us are so hardcore we read the edges of the page, too. :cyclops:
spontaneous thought:
ever think that there may be words or phraes microprinted on the edges of book pages, so finite as not to be consciuosly "read", but rather picked up in all the hubbub of real-time "vision" and stowed away subconsciously to affect/disrupt/brainwash your day-to-day thought process/descision making/etc?

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
I have no idea what the heck you're going on about; ideas are stolen, played upon, and improved on a constant basis. If you want to get ticked off about corporate malfeasance, read up on the Nissan web site debacle, or Microsoft's court shopping to put Lindows out of business.

Cute sig, BTW. And people wonder why I refer to myself as a "terrorist Christian" and then laugh at them.

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
Ian McKaye, from Fugazi right? Aren't they anti advertising about their band? I think they only used to play at small venues for a very small cover. I also remember seeing a "This is not a Fugazi t-shirt" a long, long time ago (not endorsed by the band). They didn't want some company to make $$ off their name and music. Maybe I am thinking of another band though.

If they still espouce that ideal, I can certainly see why they would be upset.

plasmo

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't think I'd ever boycott a company if they gave me the best/cheapest product. (I almost never buy Nike because of the price, but sometimes I will if they seem to be of a higher quality that's worth it).

Even if they burned down my home, killed my family, enslaved Europe, and destroyed the ozone layer, if they had better/cheaper products, I'd still buy them. Otherwise I'm harming myself to "stand up for what I believe in," and I'm way too much of a utilitarian to do that, especially because my participation wouldn't make a difference (unless, say, I put up a website that thousands of consumers acted on, but I'm probably too lazy to ever do that).

Herald of Doom said:
So I should toss away my 70$ freshly bought sandals now?
How can a sandal ever be worth $70?! I get 'em for like $10, and they seem to work just as well. Unless you're so pathetically insecure that you're paying for Nike Swoosh on them so that others think you're "cool."

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
I've got some 110 dollar basketball shoes from Nike, the Shox Elevates, their great ball shoes. In fact, every pair of shoes that I've bought from Nike have held up extremely well, and the few I've bought for athletic reasons have performed well too. So I'm supposed to boycott a company with great products because they ripped off something I've never even heard of?