Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

More questions about the world outside Australia

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dondrei, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

More questions about the world outside Australia

Okay, my thread about pies reminded me of some other unconnected things that I've sometimes wondered if people outside Australia know about (particularly in America, but also Canada and Britain).

Did you get those old Burger King (they used to call them Hungry Jack's here for some reason) ads where the slogan was "it takes two hands to handle a whopper"?

Has anyone outside Australia and New Zealand heard of Footrot Flats? It's a comic strip, there was a movie made out of it back in the 80's too. On the soundtrack was the memorable song "Slice of Heaven" by Dave Dobbyn. Unfortunately it doesn't seem well-enough known to appear on Youtube... I have an mp3 on my PC but I don't know of anything like imageshack for mp3s...

I think there are others, can't remember them now though.

2. Thelioness

Thelioness IncGamers Member

As for the BK commercial, it sounds vaguely familar. Footrot Flats doesn't ring any bells.

3. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

I vaguely remember the Whopper thing, but I'm pretty sure that the Footrot thingie never journeyed this far north.

4. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Burger King and Hungry Jack's are two different companies. Hungry Jack's is an Australian company that bought the Australian rights to all of the Burger King trademarks back in the eighties, when Burger King had no plans for expansion here. When Burger King did decide to expand into Australia they tried to sue Hungry Jack's for trademark infringement (they didn't know their own company's history) and lost. Hungry Jack's then counter-sued and the result was a big payout in Hungry Jack's favour, but it also allowed Burger King to use their own trademarks here. Almost all of the Hungry Jack's franchises were then bought by Burger King (I'm pretty sure there are still a few around).

IIRC there was an exception to the ruling that Burger King could use all of their trademarks here. They were not allowed to use their corporate logo, because it was considered the corporate logo of Hungry Jack's. Instead they were made to change the logo altogether. I might be wrong, but I think the logo also changed in America at the same time.

5. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Oh, is that what that's all about.

6. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

I do not really know anything about Australia or New Zealand, eventhough i meet up with the guys from overthere every year.

Talking about burgers, we do not have BK, we have McDonald wich sucks. When i was 17 we had Wendy's for a short time, went there for the chili. They soon went away tough, i guess they had enough of the Flemish. :D

7. Machina

Machina IncGamers Member

Personally. No and no.

8. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

Nope, and Nope.

9. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Yep, I remember those.

"It takes two hands . . ."
    *BOOM* (Whopper falls into view)
    ". . . to handle a Whopper."
    Nope.

10. Ace_wanderer

Ace_wanderer IncGamers Member

Dave Dobbyn is a really good singer/songwriter. I like a lot of his songs.

11. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

If it hasn't been covered in a previous therad, we think you all sit around in your Ugg boots eating Vegemite and washing it down with Fosters. And when you shower you use that Aussie hair stuff.

12. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Fosters? ugh... It's sad that such an average beer is Australia's leading export. Ah well. I'm more of a fan of the local drop, Cooper's Pale Ale. Probably just because at my fave weekend hangout spot, they're $1 a schooner (well, almost a schooner). It's cheap, it's dirty, but it works! It's not uncommon to see my mates and I with 6-8 of them each covering a table in the beer garden at one time. And we're usually heading back to the bar to get more... :drunk:

It's either that, or I'm sucking down the Bundaberg Rum+Coke like it's water. It's called Angry Juice, it apparently fuels a lot of violence. But after 8 I usually never notice anything unusual. :drunk:

Would hair stuff be that be... shampoo? lol, j/k... Dunno what you mean about the Aussie hair stuff.

Everyone should own a pair of Ugg boots. Thongs too. I don't mean the underwear, they're known as flip-flops elsewhere. Ever-so convenient when it's too hot to wear shoes on those 35-40+ degree(C) days.

Another South Australian thing you've probably never heard of: Enchanted Forest. It's an all day and all night outdoor dance music festival, run every 6 months (there's a winter and a summer one). Not sure the exact numbers, but I think almost 10k people attended the last one, and it was held in the middle of nowhere (Port Gawler FYI), about a 45 minute drive away from the city of Adelaide. The last summer one lasted a good 18 hours, and it was a blast. Unfortunately those events are inundated with drugs :thumbsdown: like most of the rave/clubbing scene, but if you can avoid that nonsense it can be good fun dressing in your best candy fluoro shiny reflective gear and phat pants, jump around all night, and meet a whole bunch of random friendly people. The next Enchanted coming up soon is featuring a guy named Peter Combe, a popular children's singer/songwriter. At an adults-only event. Think about it :flip: . Those bloody candy raver kids...

13. AeroJonesy

I grew up hearing them referred to as thongs. For reference, I grew up in southern Ohio. I think it changed with The Thong Song. Thanks Sisqo!

14. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Apparently some Australians are fighting to have the word "Ugg boot" de-trademarked. It was in use in Australia for ages before it was patented by some American company, and now they'll sue you if you try to sell under that name. I think I might have read that they won the case, can't remember now.

What's this hair stuff you refer to?

15. AeroJonesy

It's just called Aussie Hair Care.

16. The Future now

The Future now Banned

Lol, I have aussie shampoo in my shower right now.

17. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

What is it, Koala dung? I guess it's just a brand name.

18. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

AFAIK they won the Ugg boot case and there are no trademark restrictions in Australia and New Zealand. Stupid, greedy, bloody Yanks. That's like trademarking the word stein and then suing German companies.

Funny thing. I may have misheard it, because I was on my way to bed after an all night gaming session, but I'm positive I heard on the news this morning that the US FDA has just banned the sale of Vegemite in America.

A special mix of roo piss and platypus semen. Two-in-one shampoo and conditioner.

19. mythos

mythos IncGamers Member

Yes, the FDA has banned the sale of Vegemite. Its because it has added folate. Apparently, in America you can only add folate to bread (and something else, can't remeber now. might be milk).
    There's even been reports of Aussie ex-pat's being searched upon re-entry to america, just in case they were carrying contraband vegemite. GoGo War on Drugs:laugh:

And to all the people out there drinking fosters, please don't it's horrible goats piss. No-one, but no-one drink's it here.

20. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Holy crap, that's the funniest thing I've heard in weeks. Not that anyone in their right mind would eat Vegemite anyway.

As for Fosters, is it even that popular in Australia? I think it's just associated with us because of those Paul Hogan commercials.