Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

More political Hypocrisy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ScanMan, Feb 28, 2004.

1. ScanMan

ScanMan IncGamers Member

More political Hypocrisy

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040226/APN/402261056

Just think if this had been Rep. Delay (R-Texas) saying "you all look alike to me" about blacks, rather than Rep. Brown (D-Florida) saying "you all look alike to me" about whites and hispanics.

First off, I'm not a Republican, I've been a registered Independent since I voted for John Anderson in 1980.

But it's crap like this that makes me hate the Democratic party more and more. This is about as blatantly racist as any remark uttered by a member of Congress since the early sixties, but I will wager that you will not hear a single member of her party make any kind of statement saying "Wow, maybe a person who thinks like this shouldn't be in Congress"

2. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

No no, idiots come in all colors

3. Lone_C

Lone_C IncGamers Member

I'm not sure why you think it's hypocrisy. There are undoubtedly racists on the left and right.

4. ScanMan

ScanMan IncGamers Member

Rep. Brown is one of the members of the CBC who was screaming for the censure and resignation of Trent Lott not too long ago for his remarks regarding Strom Thurmond.

Senator Lott's remarks (which I feel were stupid, but taken out of context) were not even close to being as blatantly racist as Rep. Brown's comments were, yet I haven't heard a peep in the major media about this racist black female Member of Congress.

5. Plum

Plum IncGamers Member

Since the Republicans are in power, it seems much more probable that the media will latch onto their stumblings- case in point being Trent Lott. The media tends to focus on the "ruling" party it seems. Beyond that, Brown is a black female; put similar words in the mouth of a white male politician and you're far more likely to create a major fiasco, in my opinion. She's simply playing the card that the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons of the US have for years (she just went overboard in her reaction to criticism). The idiocy that she expressed is certainly more direct than Lott's statements, but, since politics and double standards often go hand in hand, I doubt that she'll be heavily reprimanded by her party.

6. Pierrot le Fou

Pierrot le Fou IncGamers Member

You also do know the difference between the speaker of the house and a member of the house of representatives, right?

The leader of the majority in the more powerful selective body, versus a lowly member of a huge assembly where most people can't even name their own elected representatives...

...which is going to be bigger news?