Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

More Mac OS X Trouble

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by krzyhobo, Jun 14, 2005.

1. krzyhobo

krzyhobo IncGamers Member

More Mac OS X Trouble

As a couple of you may vaguely remember I posted a thread last week wondering why I couldn't install D2 on my PowerBook running Mac OS X 10.4.1. Well after some research I came to the conclusion that I had early edition PC-only discs. Being the nice guy that I am I purchased a newer copy of the game online which arrived today. The discs are clearly labled as being compatible with Macintosh this time.

So, in a flurry of excitement, I inserted the install disc (which contained the native OS X installer) and began the process. Everything was working as expected - I typed in my CD keys, chose the directory, and the Install disc installed all its files without a hitch.

"Please insert disc labeled "Diablo 2 Play Disc" and out pops my Install Disc.

I did so. In goes my perfectly brand new, clean Play Disc. It spins up, the icon 'Play Disc' appears on the desktop (disc is recognized, not a bad burn), and is immediately spit back out with a continued prompt for the Play Disc.

*sigh*

I tried putting in every disc, including the disc that just finished with no success - all result in the same prompt and are spit back out. Geez. So does anyone have any ideas here? Is there a way perhaps I could move every file from every disc into a folder somewhere and install from that? I don't want to waste my time if that won't work.

Help me, puhleeze! :thumbsup:

edit: The same occurs when trying an install under classic mode as well.

2. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

I'm not sure what the problem could be. I know I had to download the OS X installer from the Blizzard website, it didn't come on the disks I bought. However, the fact that you are having the same problem under classic makes me wonder about the disk itself. (Just because the disk itself mounts properly, doesn't mean there isn't some problem with the files on the disk.)

Do you have access to a PC? You could see if those disks will work to install it there. It might be a way to narrow down the problem.

You could also try to make a disk image of the problematic disk. (You can do that using the Disk Utility. Make sure that you choose "read only" as the type to make.) You could then load the disk image and see if that works.

3. krzyhobo

Thanks for the response. I made an image of the Play Disc but am unsure how to make the installer recognize it. I tried mounting it upon being prompted for the play disc but, although it mounts correctly, nothing happens.

I do have my PC for a few more days, I'll try the install there as you suggested and report back.

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

4. krzyhobo

Update: The discs all work perfectly fine on the PC.

*sigh*

This game hates me.

5. krzyhobo

So here's what I've found after a huge amount of internet searches:

Apparently some of the new copies of the game shipped without hyrbrid play discs, even though they are labeled otherwise. Apparently I have to mail my disc in the Blizzard, at cost to me, and wait for them to send me a new disc. See here if you're interested:
    http://www.macaddict.com/forums/topic/60178

Obnoxious.