Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

More information about builds...

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by ptitbob, Jan 8, 2009.

1. ptitbob

ptitbob IncGamers Member

More information about builds...

I'm thinking about it because I'm currently planning my builds ( started playing again recently )...

And the worst thing about Diablo 2, in my opinion, is that we never get enough information...

We have to read 239529 websites in order to find information ( and sometime they're saying different things... )

Diablo 3 should give us the information such as IAS/FCR/FHR/FBR tables, complete skill information ( telekinesis/energy shield, anyone? resistance aura + boost max resist, anyone?), stuff like this...

It's annoying when you finally get to an higher level, but you realise the info you had was wrong, so you need to start again from level 1...

We should only have to read 1 website about diablo 3 information : The diablo 3 website.
    I wish it was that easy for diablo 2...
    I hope they won't make the same "mistake" in diablo 3.

Am I the only one who think we should not have to run through endless websites to find such vital information for our builds?

2. kavlor

kavlor IncGamers Member

Re: More information about builds...

I dont know I think that would be a spoiler and leave less for players to discover.I mean imagine finding an item better than the one you've got and thinking how wonderful it is and then someone comes along and tells you its trash and you need so-so weapon.I dont mind if that information came later but I suspect the playerbase will build up speed tables quite quickly because of experience with D2.

3. Taddl

Taddl IncGamers Member

well i dont think they should change that! i love clicking through endless threads in forums, looking for the right formula (might be the wrong word, but cant think of a better one) which tells me how to calculate my dmg with buff X together with weapon Y and of-weapon dmg Z and maybe asking something if there is anything else i want to know... it makes me feel conected to the community and for me it's part of the diablo feeling

4. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

I wished for an in-game Arreat Summit a while back...but you have to encounter the items/monsters/bosses/item mods for them to get added to your info.

5. kavlor

kavlor IncGamers Member

You mean like an inbuilt encyclopeadia,lots of games have them so wouldn't be a bad thing to implement.

6. Leord

Leord IncGamers Member

There will probably be a lot more info for D3, but in the end, they will leave some for sites like ours to find out and people to talk about =)

7. Clair de Lune

Clair de Lune IncGamers Member

Oh wow, I've been THINKING about this for quite sometime myself. While I've been thinking about whether to post it, here you are.

I agree 100%.

In Diablo I and II, there were way too much hidden calculations, methods and they're all ambiguous even to experts who pry out these things in strategy forums (like Strafe delay, Summon stats, etc).

I think Diablo should create a very powerful, effective yet USER-FRIENDLY 'advanced' interface that should show how this works.

Now I know Blizz omits these things so they don't scare away people. No one likes seeing menus fulls of formulas and crazy calculations thrown at them when you play a game. That's why Blizz should be careful to create a very eye-pleasing simple interface that describes all these methods. It can be done easily:

(Simplified)
    A: Hit percentage = your Dexterity + Weapon bonus x class (I made this up).

Then this simple big font formula can be played around, with mouse-over extensive tool tips. If you click on 'ADVANCED' menu, then all the crazy formula can show up:

(ADVANCED)
    B: Hit percentage = [Dex + (1/item bonus dex)] + (CTH x extra x weapon bonus) x [Class inherent bonus (1.4) x clvl)] etc....

So you should be able to realize how everything works. Now, I know math drives away casual gamers. So it's crucial to design an interface that has TWO-TIER informaion (A first, then B).

Tool tips should try to show as much info as they can such as (using DII as example) max and min of hitting is 95% & 5%, what crushing blow/deadly strike/open wound means and what it means to actual DAMAGE PER SECOND, etc.

There is no excuse.