Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Moral Question

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by IamTheTest, Apr 1, 2004.

1. IamTheTest

IamTheTest IncGamers Member

Moral Question

I am 100% against the use of Chicken Hack, Map Hack, 3rd Party Program so Im better at a game Hack...but I thought of this last night. If their was a 3rd party program that did nothing but negated chicken hack, that is to say punk duelers began to die rather than exit, would you use it? This is PURELY hypothetical. As of right now I wouldnt, just because I dont duel or PK much at all, but I thought it was an interesting question.

2. hc_ugajeremy

hc_ugajeremy IncGamers Member

hmm.. a program that reprograms chicken to exit game at negative life?

"NO LOOT FOR YOU!" (in the voice of the soup **** you can't say that apparently. the soup man from seinfield)

I'm not really sure how chicken works.. it's obviously not server side, but it has to have some connection with the server to know what your chars life is at. :scratch:

I still wouldn't want to install it, I know as soon as I did blizz would crack down and my account would poof. It would be interesting to see the lame pkers get what they have dished out.

3. Stimm

Stimm IncGamers Member

Hell i just wish there was a way to disable Shenkds death animation when he dies with the "multi shot aura" the ice storm drags my computer down to 1 frame and everything disapears. And i have a pretty decent comp too

4. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Well there is but its a hack Stimm.....

Hacks jsut arent needed, i wish I never got MH back in 1.09. I didnt need it when I got it, didnt need it while I had it and dont need it now. There simply is no challenge in the game while using it.

5. Bongo Fury

Bongo Fury IncGamers Member

Rationalizing your use of an antiChicken hack is no different than the rationalizations the Chicken users give to justify their use of a hack. Hacks are wrong, period.

Just as someone who uses the Marrowwalk exploit is no better than a PK who utilizes the WP exploit.

IMO

6. Stimm

Stimm IncGamers Member

Yea really staying away from that whole hack thing. Itwas never a big deal in 09 since i killed Shenk maybe 3 times per character for the quest, not like i do now that he can actually drop

7. TopheavyHookjaw

TopheavyHookjaw IncGamers Member

Hacks suck. Just shows that you can't be successful without outside help.

However, is anyone surprised? In this society, it is only cheating (not moral) if you get caught.

I just wish that Blizzard would keep up their end of the bargain and ban all these cheaters...or at least close the loopholes that are being exploited.

8. xxsteelxx

xxsteelxx IncGamers Member

it would still be funny watching there crys of outrage after u kill the little chicken using punks :)

9. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

I don't use any hacks, but my main reason for doing so is to avoid being banned.

I enjoyed maphack during the time I used it, because I liked the game being easier. It somewhat compensated for the tremendous lag I always experience during gameplay.

I used chicken for a brief time but realized that it wasn't hardcore with chicken running. I didn't need chicken and it was dumb. It took the fun out. I don't think it's immoral to use chicken during pvm play, however. Just not fun for me.

Now I see moral questions when it comes to duelling. I also see moral questions if you are competing/leveling on the ladder. Then you are competing against other players, and using MH/chicken to gain an advantage. That is wrong IMO.

Using a hack to defeat someone's chicken hack? If duelling, I would have no moral qualms about using it. If I was pking, I would NOT use it (I wouldn't pk anyway, but you get the idea).

I don't have any moral problems with using the hacks though. To me, cheating at a computer game isn't immoral if you aren't competing against someone. If I enjoy playing a game in "god mode", I will play it that way. The only reason for purchasing a game is to have fun. There's nothing sacred to me about the code or the intent of the manufacturer.

Got a little OT there, but I wanted to explain my thoughts and why I hold them. I believe it's a logical framework. It makes sense to me anyhoo. :lol:

10. Bongo Fury

Bongo Fury IncGamers Member

Well I have to disagree with you on this one Spero. If you want to hack and cheat, do it in SP or Open. The Realms were meant for those who want to play in a cheat free environment. Hacking was so bad in D1 that it was almost unplayable on B-net. So for D2 the intention was to accomodate both play styles. SP/Open for cheaters, Realms for Legit play. By bringing cheats onto the Realms you are stealing from all the legit players. Your (not you personally, you who cheat) selfishness is ruining the game experience of others. You're forcing your play style on other players. And I know of no hack/cheat that doesn't have an adverse effect on legit players. IMO of course.

11. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

Yes, the people who want to cheat should play on open. It's too bad there's no middle ground, though. Open is so hacked that it's not even worth playing.

I disagree with the "forcing your play style on others". Totally not true. I could be the worst hacker on the realms, play in only private games and no one would even know. So there would be no adverse effect on other players. Only if I used the hack to compete with others would there be an adverse effect.

I guess to me the moral/immoral part has to do with other actions of a gamer, not whether they use a hack.

12. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

IMO, chichen and MH is wrong, because they used 3rd party programs and probed into the d2 program (and possible the server side as well). That violates the software user's term of agreement.

However, BSpirit tppk and wp exploit is not wrong IMO. It's chessy, but not wrong. They played within the boudaries defined by the game code. If that offend you, Blizzard is the one who is responsible.

13. sunshine

sunshine Banned

Can't really knock Spero's argument that hacks that create enjoyment in a game can't really be considered "morally" wrong. People should maximize their enjoyment of the game right?

But as is seen on the boards, people who use hacks definitely causes others to enjoy the game less. It really messes up the ladder doesn't it? Sorta makes it pointless when you have pindlebotters lvling an 80 char to 95 without even playing. Or if you have lvl 9x characters waiting for a tp from throne from a mh using tele-sorc and then hiding in a corner holding their unique staff.

If it was a simple case of utilitarian logic (more happiness for the greatest number), I think the hackers would win, because there are definitely more maphack users on the realm (asia, at least) than non-users.

But yeah, speaking for myself, it definitely sucks. I was looking for a hack-free environment on bnet with the release of the patch. Well, I guess it was ok for a few weeks....

14. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

Line me up for it.

I have very little qualms about killing some one who thinks their chicken hack will protect them.

The difference that keeps me from being hypocritical? They are hacking to protect themselves and ruin everyone elses fun. This restores balance. Even if only 20 people know how to do it, it stops them from using their chicken hack for fear of fighting one of those 20.

Much like skymarshals.

15. IamTheTest

IamTheTest IncGamers Member

Hey, I guess I made a moral thread that hasnt been hijacked to "PKing is right/wrong". I am so proud. ::pats self on back::

16. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

I wouldn't use such a hack due to the way that it would be impossible to use without interfering with someone's computer. The hack would essentially have a negative (according the "victim") impact on programs running on the "victim's" computer. Or at least so far as my understanding of chicken is, the server sends packets back to the client, chicken reads those, and determines if the player should suddenly exit. At no point are the packets being sent to the evil chickener also being sent to you, and I'm fairly sure that it would be illegal to either alter those packets or to alter the settings of a 3rd party program the other player is running. If you're going to go that far, you may as well just detect chicken hack running on someone's computer, then do something to crash them so you can kill the kid while he stands out of town helpless.

Um..I didn't really sort out my thoughts, but I think I get my point accross.