Montessori Schooling

KiL

Diabloii.Net Member
Montessori Schooling

Anyone here educated in or teach at a Montessori school?

I had heard about it a while back, got a general idea of the philosophy, but really didn't research it that much until now.

I am really interested in it and possibly am going to get training, so I just wanted to know other people's experiences with it.

There are other sites, but I have one here: http://www.montessori-namta.org/NAMTA/geninfo/whatismont.html

Erwwwd

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Montessori Schooling

The montessori approach to teaching can be rather rigid, and IMO outdated. They uphold some of their principles as sacred, while time has caught up with many of them. Case in point is their math-program, which stays bound to physical objects well into the later classes.

It does allow for great differentiation. It tends to be a very good system for smarter/better off children while the problemchildren are left to swim on their own.

HaLoPhReAk

Diabloii.Net Member

I was edumacated in montessori in my early ages, seemed to be a very different environment than other schools. Seemed almost like a home (not very) far away from home when I was little. Didn't quite have the teacher being the dominant role and the student being the submissive role, it was more of a "how can I help you" environment. That was of course when I was really little, and ended up switching schools to a public school (which was awful...was in Hawaii)

I was also home schooled, and it was more similar to that than to public schools.

Johnny

Banned

about the holy grail movie because it was such an unfunny peice of crap.

"We need to make the movie 10 minutes longer. Cool lets just extend the knight scene with some useless dribble" Niiiiii

whitey

Diabloii.Net Member

I went to montessori when I was really young then to public school. I don't really remember that much about it but I definitely liked it. I actually liked learning in school while I was there. Public school sucks compared to it.

KiL

Diabloii.Net Member

Very interesting

Yeah so I did some more research... or actually just more carefully read the website and I would need either 3 summers or 9 months of straight training, so I don't realistically believe I be will pursuing it.

Although it is still an option for future little humans I might be entrusted with, if this method of teaching is still around.

I did not know about the lax math instruction and was kind of surprised considering how thought out most of the other methods seem.

I was really hoping for a system that didn't completely stifle the joy of learning because I trully believe kids have the natural desire for it.

Dutchman

Diabloii.Net Member

A good friend's wife is a montesorri teacher.

One massive Caveat for those with kids AND those looking to teach:

The hippies that founded this thing never trademarked the name. Anyone can open a montesorri school and it by no means indicates they teach the method. Of the 6 or so "Montesorri" schools she has taught in on 1 taught close to the official program. The rest varied from some to none.

Apparently how it works is that they have to buy the teaching materials from the Montesorri people, which are expensive... hence, they don't bother, its nothing more than $1,100 per month per kid day care.

Dutch