Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Monsters w/ Conviction aura

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by vDEb, Apr 18, 2008.

1. vDEb

vDEb IncGamers Member

Monsters w/ Conviction aura

This is concerning Monsters in Hell difficulty and them spawning with Conviction aura on...

My question is people say to "stack Resists" when doing Uber Runs becuase Mephisto has Conviction and lowers your resists -125%...

do all monsters in hell that spawn w/ a conviction aura have the same % reduction as Meph? or is his aura much higher?

thanks again!!!

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Re: Monsters w/ Conviction aura

The level of a conviction enchantment on bosses is normally 1/8 of the monster level, rounded down.

3. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Yup.

Basically this means that the conviction level in Hell varies from 8 to 11.

4. vDEb

vDEb IncGamers Member

ok so Uber Meph's conviction is level what then? 20 right?

so if my resists get destroyed by a highCouncil member's Conviction aura I have a problem huh?

5. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Yup.

10chars.

6. theBanger

theBanger IncGamers Member

I remember reading somewhere that conviction only works 1/5th against immune monsters.
    Which makes me wonder, if I had total resists over 100, would the 1/5th thing work for me too?

7. krischan

There's no way to improve your resists beyond 95%, so even if you have enough excess resists, it won't lead to a 1/5 reduction. The excess resists are going into the calculation, however, so if you have 125% beyond the max, you counter the res penalty of L20 conviction in full.

8. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Krischan's right about this one (note the lack of nitpicking). I can only add the easiest ways to stack those resists:

- Prebuff fade with treachery
    - Switch to smoke or CoH if you're rich. Even vipermagi will do good here.
    - Stick 4 pdiamonds in a 4s palashield with high resists
    - torch, anni and anya gives a total of 50-70 all
    - Look for charms with resist/life or resist/fhr
    - Don't bother too much with cold/psn resists. These can be buffed by drinking antidote/thawing pots. The duration stacks, so drink 20 of each, and you have awesome cold/psn resists for 10 minutes
    - Rare boots are well worth it (up to 40% single resist, and they can get 3 of them, even with FRW/FHR/dex)
    - If you have a lifetap wand, you can survive with less than 75/75/75/75 although it certainly won't hurt to have your resists maxed out.
    - Lightning is by far the most important resist, since lightning has such huge range of damage. you could get lucky and take 2 damage from a lighning bolt, but if it strikes for 1k damage you're hard pressed.
    - Worst case scenario, it's well possible to smite uber meph to death running salvation or even resist lightning.
    - Thundergod's vigor is your friend.
    - Running lvl 21+ conviction will ignore ubermeph's conviction. Note that this ONLY applies to the character actually using the lvl 21+ conviction. This will however make ubermeph much more susceptable to elemental attacks. Not that many characters use elemental characters for ubertrist, but still.

If you take all that into account, an ubersmiter can be built for the cost of an ist rune on europe ladder.

9. Davio

Davio IncGamers Member

If you encounter any monster using conviction while casually strolling through hell, take him out first.

I have stacked resists though and the only convic aura which takes me down below the maximums, is UberMeph's, for whom I have to prebuff with Treachery/Fade.

10. eseven

eseven IncGamers Member

Summary: if you're having problems with normal conviction mobs (negative resists), then follow some of helvete's points in getting that up.
    I found that vs Meph, his charged bolt 1 shots me when I have -20 light res, 2 shots me at 20 light res, and does about 100 damage @ 75 res. (2.5k life total).
    Hopefully that can act as a sort of gage as to what resistances you might want vs normal conviction and Meph.

11. krischan

I'm simply putting on Smoke and replace non-res charms, the cube and tomes with res charms to have 125% of cold, fire and in particular lightning res beyond the maximum.

12. Arkansaw

Arkansaw Banned

I understand this is something from Grimborn's Guide To Boss Mods on AB, but I can't seem to find the old discussion threads about it. Any ideas?

13. krischan

You don't have to discuss it ;) Just find a few conviction boss packs, check by how much your resists go down, find out the monster levels (area level+3 in nightmare and hell mode). I did it with Baal minions (mlvl **) and the aura level turned out to be 11.

14. Arkansaw

Arkansaw Banned

Yea, but I was hoping for something more conclusive than just emprical evidence, just to be on the safe side. I sure don't make a point of testing such boss packs on hell hc (as in I have never allowed it to touch me, if I can help it :| )

Btw, why was this never listed under known issues? I only found this thread and realized the discrepancy on AS while searching for resist stacking

15. krischan

the 1/8 formula for conviction bosses comes from Arreat Summit. I just used empiric means to check if it meets the predictions. It did. That's professional scientific behaviour :azn:

16. Arkansaw

Arkansaw Banned

You lost me there I think? AS still shows it as monlvl/4 for conviction under monster bonuses

17. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

AS is known to be wrong on some things. It's a great item database (although it lacks a search function :wink:), but for the rest a lot of the info is dodgy. The only real way to know is to do ingame testing.

18. krischan

OK, I correct what I said to this:

The 1/8 formula for conviction bosses comes from Arreat Summit mentioning 1/4 and another source saying that aura levels of bosses are too high by a factor of 2 :whistling: