Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Monsters respawn ?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Beta Forum' started by GhostRidah, Oct 15, 2011.

1. GhostRidah

GhostRidah Diabloii.Net Member

Monsters respawn ?

In D2, you could log out then back in and voila all ur bad guys were alive again in whatever place u were fighting. anyone know what this has transformed into in d3? I think itd be nice to not have to always log in/out to re-fight a fun area but its also frustrating if u keep having to rehash through enemies if ur still in the same area. thoughts?

I've heard if i'm doing a quest in Act 4, It won't be possible for me to killed King Leoric because he won't be there (Already dead).

Can someone confirmed if it's true or not?

2. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

Re: Monsters respawn ?

I hope the normal monsters will respawn but the (mini)bosses stay dead until you've played through the whole difficulty level.

3. GhostRidah

Personnally, I hope they will not respawn, because I was so tired of doing the same thing in Diablo 2 (mephi runs, baal runs ...) all day long. I wish the % to drop good items from big bosses, monsters and small bosses were similar so you will have to run all over the game to do your magic find instead of doing the same thing over and over again (i.e Diablo 2). It's just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't be surprised if we have to do boss runs only, people will bought their items or uses bots in the future to do their magic find runs, because it's boring to do the same thing over and over again, specially with chinese farmers and their bots, you have no chance to compete with them legally due to the item drop value by the time. So if we have to run all over the game, we might see less bots programmed (probably a bit more complicated to make one in that situation, because you had to do 2 or 3 boss runs in Diablo 2, so it's not a big deal).

4. TheMythe

Hmmm, the normal monster drops will never get you anywhere and D3 will have no bots whatsoever AFAIK. Why not only let the normal mobs respawn for those that are willing to do a little crawling to get another level down their belt. MF runs will get them nowhere but the extra bit of XP will be useful. Besides, any idea how many goldsinks there are in this game!

5. GhostRidah

I know, but I wish we could do our magic find runs all over the game instead of doing only boss runs like in Diablo 2. It's getting boring by the time

6. TheMythe

That is why Blizzard invented random mobs (champions/uniques) and random dungeons. If all goes as planned, no 2 games will be the same (just like in chess).

7. GhostRidah

Yeah I hope,

Would you be disapointed if it was like in Diablo 2, 2 or 3 boss runs per game and that's it?

8. Scorch Hellfire

Scorch Hellfire Diabloii.Net Member

Can't you currently just start a new game on a certain quest to be able to fight whatever bosses are involved with it again?

9. TheMythe

Blizzard stated that it will NOT be like D2, where you can do bossruns all day, so hence my theory ;) Best logical thing I can think of, I'm open to better theories of course ;)

@Scorch, I think the game saves per checkpoint, right after killing each (mini)boss is your checkpoint saved.

10. GhostRidah

You have made my day :)

It was sooooooooooooooo boring to do the same pattern over and over again in Diablo 2.

11. YrrAB

YrrAB Diabloii.Net Member

So wait, if I down a superunique, that's it? I have to beat the game for him to respawn? That's no good. The point of inferno difficulty is for MFing EVERYTHING, not just one boss. Lower level MFing is always fun, and if super uniques stay dead, kinda leaves me dead in the water with that.

By the same token, I feel it's safe to say that there will be tons of boss monsters to fight, so that's always good.

12. TheMythe

Mind reading my 'RANDOMNESS' point again, thank you ;)
    Besides, I think superuniques are different from mini(bosses). I believe (mini)bosses are the ones you'll find near certain (checkpoint) places and will not re-spawn until X occurs. Normal/champion/unique monsters will be re-spawned (at random places or not). This is all speculation of course.

13. Mcstrife

Mcstrife Diabloii.Net Member

Maybe it's like this:

When you start the game, you select the quest you want to do. All mobs are alive again (much like you see in the beta) but maybe, depending on story progression, preceding monsters will stay dead.

Would be kinda cool, because you can go back in acts and see the work you did: the big demons have been slain and the village is peaceful once again.

14. galzohar

galzohar Diabloii.Net Member

The "not doing boss runs" sounds similar to what they were trying to do (with partial success) with the level 85 areas in D2. All bosses in those areas can drop everything in the game, all of those areas have relatively tough mobs with rather varied abilities (judging by D2 standards), so you just run around and kill random stuff that are never really the same. Hopefully in D3 they can get the same idea done except do it much better to make "runs" even more interesting (both in terms of challenge and variety).

15. Defenestrate

Defenestrate Diabloii.Net Member

To clear it up:

Your first play through, you must do linearly. You may encounter different "events" on your way to a boss like the Skeleton king, but the skeleton king is always there. Different events and areas may have completely random special mobs or not.

When you kill the skeleton king for the first time he gives you a lot of loot, at least one of which is a rare.

When you leave a game, you leave the game.

When you want to join a new game you can either go with your saved data or pick a quest you have already completed.

When you pick your saved data, you pick up mid-quest where you hit your last checkpoint. All monsters in the game are repopulated, and you can replay lower level areas but not re-do quests. Random areas and special monsters still can be there though, even random events.

When you pick a quest that you have already completed, it treats you as if you never did that quest before. You lose all waypoints after that quest (for that game, but if you create a new game later with a later quest you gain all those waypoints back) You can get all quests from that point on again and get their rewards. If you kill the skeleton king again, he drops approximately the same amount of items he dropped the first time around, but you're no longer guaranteed a rare, in fact it seems he has the same high quality drop rate as normal monsters have - just drops more loot instead of higher quality loot.

I think it's a good system how they implemented it. You can go anywhere you want, and even replay old quests. You just have to get there first before you can choose to replay the old stuff.

And boss runs aren't crazy rewarded by giving higher quality loot, rather it gives more loot because it took more time to get there and kill it. If you want to do boss runs, go ahead, but I think I'd prefer looking for events and special monsters in inferno.

16. Inarius

Inarius Diabloii.Net Member

Like it alot.