Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Monster Resists and Cold Mastery

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Ezakimak, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Ezakimak

Ezakimak IncGamers Member

Monster Resists and Cold Mastery

I was thinking of using my blizzard sorc and expand my mf running...but wanted to know what monsters I could kill and what ones I couldn't.

I know that I obviously can't kill most cold immune monsters. I also know that I should be able to kill some cold immune (IIRC), some "cold immune" monsters aren't really cold immune, they just have over 100 cold resist. Now with cold mastery I could reduce the monsters resistance within a range that I could start doing some damage to it. My problem come in when trying to figure out which monsters just have high resist, and which ones are truly cold immune. The Countess for example is a "Dark Stalker" with a listed code resist of 130 in hell (Areat Summit), she is also listed as being cold immune. Is she truly cold immune or is it just listed cold immune because of the higher than 100 resist?

Thanks for any help.

2. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

This Dark Stalker you mentioned is still cold immune for my attacks (I have -150% to cold resist and it´s > than 130) A dagger or a wand with LR louds (on weapon swetch) can may be help a bit together with maxed mastery.

I thik though that mf rocks first when you use real stuff - it means 2 elements. Extreme damage in only one element can never compensate for your weaknes/limitations when you confront cold immunes. Thera are cold immunes everywhere and you will lose a lot of time avoiding them. Mf-ing is question of time and a really good m-finder should be universal - in my opinion anyway. :)

3. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

There are no "real" cold immunes in 1.10. The ones that appear as such have at least 100% resistance. Cold immunity can only be broken by Lower Resist or Conviction, and it does not always work (the skills work at 1/5 effectiveness for the values at 100% resistance and above).

Once the immunity is broken however, Cold Mastery will do its thing very nicely indeed.

4. moi

moi IncGamers Member

There are monsters with cold immunities that can not be broken with combination of both high lvl lower resist and high level conviction. I'm not sure why you're saying they're not "real" cold immunes?

5. sJw_shan

sJw_shan IncGamers Member

I'd suggest you stick with synergizing your blizzard to as powerful as you can, so that you can run meph and non-cold immune areas more and more efficiently. Some areas which can drop the most elite items iirc and have no cold immunes (besides an occasional cold immune unique monster) are the mausoleum (blood raven cemetary) and the ancient tunnels in lost city act 2. Grab a merc and rely on him against cold immunes.

I miss my 1.09 nova/orb sorc =(. Damn u synergies!

6. xnick

xnick IncGamers Member

Probably you have investe 1 point in telekinesis, as prereq for teleport. Combined with high FCR is a great way to aid the merc.

I've got an Act2 HF merc (¿¿why does HF affect cold immunes and freezes "Can not Be Frozen" carriers??) with BoneHew, Duriel´s shell & Vampiregaze. Doesn´t take too long to finish Hell's Countess, wich happens to be cold AND fire immune all the times...

7. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

some monsters are inherently cold immune. so, go to d2data.net and find out which ones are and avoid those areas.

act 1-4 the mobs are pretty much pre-set for the areas. only in a5 will monsters from other acts turn up consistently. i've been in the a5 ice caves at times with no monsters that are cold immune. maybe they have thermal underwear or something. :)

off the top of my head, i know half the flayers in the flayer jungle are CI, other half are LI (dumb sorc haters!) and almost every act in a1 has 1 guaranteed CI. i would say a2, but at higher levels the xp peters out quick, and there's only 2 lvl 85 areas that i am aware of (hole lvl 3, sewers lvl 3.)

8. sputnik78

sputnik78 IncGamers Member

I have been very successful MF'ing with Blizzard and 22 total points in the fire tree:

warmth, FM, and 20 in fire wall.

Now, FireWall is an annoying skill, and it requires a good holy freeze merc to make the cold immunes slow down and attack him and get burned, but with some good + skills gear (I run with only occy and Harlequin Crest) it significanly speeds up your ability (with merc) to take out cold immunes.

Some areas are still just too tough, mainly anything with ranged cold immune attackers like the pit, but I have an easy time running mausoleum and ancient tunnels.

You really don't need full Blizzard synergies to kill bosses fast. Yeah it takes me 8 to 10 blizzard castings to kill meph instead of 5, so what. Baal takes a little while, but I can clear out those cold immune minions fairly fast. As a bonus, most of the time one of the areas on the way to baal has an easy set of enemies (no black souls, no OKs) and I clear the area easier than the pit would be, with better results.

My skills in cold (not counting +skills) are:

20 blizz, 15 CM, 20 Glacial, and 13 Ice blast. You might want to take a few points away from glacial and CM and put into ice blast a bit more, to speed up baal killing. But that's the only real use, everything else dies fast with only blizzard. I use glacial almost entirely for its stopping power. You will certainly want CM at 17 after + skills. More than that helps a little, situationallly (baal and meph mostly, but meph is a quick kill either way).

I also spent two points to get teleport, a must. I wasted two points on the defensive cold skills... they are a waste of time. I should have put one in static (maybe) and the rest in cold blast or CM.

It is also a good build because you can kill the council in durance 3 in a few secs very easy. They drop pretty well, and with enough gold find 50K piles of gold are nice. The only thing that is dangerous about the coucil is when there are lots of hydras.... But they become hardly any trouble at all with a dwarf star on, even with smalll negative fire resistance. I usually run down there with the dwarf star on, kill them, put on a mf ring, kill meph, done.

Anyways, with firewall as a helper skill, you can MF most places but the pit easily, and are not horribly slowed down by cold immunes. I'm building a different character for pit runs. However, if your merc isn't tough, firewall becomes nearly useless.

Lastly, this combination cuts the blizzard damage, which is not an issue with low player games. If you really want to join 8 player games, run to the ancient tunnels, and mf in that scenario then the missing blizzard damage will become an issue. However, I've had much better luck finding stuff form meph/baal and on the way to baal than those other areas. I'm not sure if that experience is similar to others or not.
    I just feel that 1.5 to 2 full synergies on blizzard with 12 points spent in CM are more than enough. Just plan on being in the mid to high 80's in level, or above.