Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

monster questions

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Superhal, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

monster questions

1. is nithalak different in any way, statwise, than he was in .09? iirc, items that he drops are ilvl 97, and he almost always spawned cold or lightning immune. also, iirc, he only had 3 possible attacks: corpse explosion, create minion, and a missile attack.

2. which monsters can spawn with immunities to 3+ types of damage, including bosses and superuniques? iirc, there were only a few, so if possible, could somebody list them? i'm planning a dual tree sorc build with a missile weapon on the switch that can kill anything. i guess i mainly need to know is if it is possible for one monster, including bosses and superuniques, to be immune to fire, lightning, and phys.

3. i'm also thinking of a tri-elemental sorc build with 10 in the main attack and 10 in the mastery, no synergies, with the +skills raising everything to 20. how effective would this be for solo'ing? the main thing i'm worried about is if a boss spawns immune to two of my attacks and enchanted in the 3rd, would i be able to kill it with only 20/20?

2. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

well i only know the answer to your third question, and I can tell you that it most likely will not do well in pvm. Synergies are a MUST in 1.10. The monsters are beefed up even more so you need to do as much damage as possible. Tri elemental sorcs in 1.10 are simply very hard, if not impossible. I would suggest going with 2 skill trees instead.

3. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

He's Mlvl 95 now and can also use Arctic Blast.

More than two immunities is impossible. If you can do three or more types of dmg, you can kill anything. Or you use OW.

4. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

Dang. Is there any other monster higher than 95?

5. slappy sam

slappy sam IncGamers Member

Don't quote me on this but Baal is 99 and Diablo is around 94 (Not sure here).

6. FodderCannoned

FodderCannoned IncGamers Member

that is right, and nithalak's CE isn't near as powerfull as it was before

7. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

his CE is down to 10% in Hell. That sucks, because it wasn't a bug, it was just plain dangerous. Now, the Toomb Vipers are dangerous, but that's because they are SERIOUSLY bugged. Who has heard of a poison that does physical damage with every frame?

8. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

I thought it was possible for Gloam Bosses to spawn immune to three elements, as they're normally immune to both Lightning and Poison already. (*hm* Looked @ AS, doesn't say they're immune to Poison. Thought that was a regular 'benefit' of being Undead...)

9. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Unraveler-type monsters are commonly dual immune as well. They still can't get that third immunity.

10. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

"can" being the operative word.

I ran into a fire/cold immune Blood Lord boss that was also stoneskin in Act2 Arcane Sanctuary.

My Meteorb Sorc could get him to halfway with Static but my merc couldn't finish him off even with a Reaper's Toll. The decrep helped a little bit but the boss was regenerating as fast as my merc could dish out the damage. In the end I parked him (I hate doing that) and moved on.

I'm not entirely sure how OW works. All I really remember is "uncontrolled bleeding" as it's described. Is it possible for OW to negate regeneration alltogether? Or does it just work against it but it's possible that a monster's regen rates will overcome OW?

11. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Open wounds

OW works for eight seconds and is totally level-based, in reference to the attacker. Any physical damage done by the attacker initiates OW if the roll occurs, and can be as high as 3000+ life lost over its duration. For a CLvl99 character this amounts to around 400 life per second, easily countering natural regeneration even in .10. OTOH, the attacker must repeatedly make successful melee attacks and at least one successful roll every eight seconds in order to eventually kill something if a creature's death is dependent on this effect.

12. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

As long as a single point of any type of dmg is done to an enemy, OW can activate. At Clvl 99 it's a total of 2450 dmg btw :)

OW reduces the natural regeneration rate of monsters, while poison sets it to its own values.

13. bill_n_opus

Thanks guys.

14. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Well, at least you tried --- doesn't happen often on bnet. People have single-tree builds, and if they meet something they don't like they just restart. They don't do resists and defense because if they die they just restart. And so on...

A sorc with two trees and a capable merc (many aren't even using mercs) is a good build, IMHO, even if cases like the one you described can happen.

There would have been ways, but usually it's too complicated for practical use --- like swapping Reaper's for a bonehew to get bonespear, or using a bow+nature's peace on yourself to deliver a prevent monster heal, or or or...

Technically, my necro does 5 types of damage --- physical and fire being the major ones, a little lightning and cold as addition. Poison doesn't do any damage in my case (something like 300 over 570 seconds), but it prevents monster healing, so it helps with cases like the one you described... and in particular, it helps to deal with hard PI/FI combos, since my lightning and cold missiles will not get regenerated away.

Don't remember meeting many such combos, though.

He would have taken out your dual immune stoneskin with physical damage, since I'm doing a lot more of that than your merc can ever hope to achieve.

15. bill_n_opus

Yeah, it's interesting to read about Bnet practices/behavior.

I don't play Bnet, only Single Player (which is where I hang out - in the Single Player Forum).

With every char I try to make it through all difficulty levels, clearing everything.

I suppose I could have town portal'd and then picked up an elemental damage disher for my merc/me from my stash ... but typically I don't do that. I rely what my char has on main and on switch. I probably could have thought about it a little bit more. That was the first time I met a stoneskin dual immune to fire/cold with this particular char in Hell.

What you said about your necro reminds me of my main char/mf'er. A Marrowalk-hybrid necro summoner/exploder. Can take on anything.

Physical, fire damage from CE if applicable and 1.3k bonespears. Could even have elemental damage on switch if needed.

About the only thing that would cause me grief would be a:

PI Stoneskin even after amp damage that is Magic Immune. Could even kill those if that monster was close to a bunch of corpses where the 1/2 fire from CE would take it down eventually, depending on the # of corpses for disposal.

Don't know/think those monsters exist ... but I may be wrong.

16. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Can't exist indeed. In the case of PI/MI the physical resistance can be broken by both Decrep and Amp.

Edit: in fact only two monsters can get PI/MI: Plague Bearer and the Wailing Beast.