monster magic immunity?

Shentou

Diabloii.Net Member
monster magic immunity?

I'm sorry for having to ask but I can't find it anywhere and I can't find a search option on this forum. Can anyone tell me how magic immune works? If I'm playing sorceress do I just have to run away or find a way to do some physical damage? I hope I can atleast deal some elemental damage it would greatly upset me to not be able to solo all the monsters. thank you

Tarr

Diabloii.Net Member
"Magic Immunity" only means immunity to magic damage, like necro bone skills. It doesn't give them immunity to any elemental damage.

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
Sorcs don't deal magic damage. They deal fire, lightning or cold, according to the spell used. Confusing at first, granted. :) Magic damage is just stuff like the necromancers bone spells or the barb's berserk.

San

Diabloii.Net Member
Bleh, on the topic of magic immunes, it was funny to find out that my hammerdin DID do damage to MI's with blessed hammer.

Wonko the Sane

Diabloii.Net Member
San said:
Bleh, on the topic of magic immunes, it was funny to find out that my hammerdin DID do damage to MI's with blessed hammer.
That's because, IIRC, BH ignores resistances on undead and demons. So, again IIRC, only one monster type in the game is immune to a Hammerdin :p

Sint Nikolaas

Diabloii.Net Member
IIRC the only demons that are really immune to magic (any magic done by any spell whatsoever) are the wailing beasts in the temples in act 3 hell. Others can be hurt by hammers (I'm not sure on necromancer's bones, barb's zerk, ama's magicarrow (which also deals normal dmg) or assa's psych though..)

edit.. no wailing beasts are no demons.. I discribed all beasts in D2 as demons :rolleyes:

Liliel

Diabloii.Net Member
Doesn't Magic Immunity grant additional resistance to all elements though?

By the way, the only sorcs that can kill every monster without merc assistance are Archmagi.

essojay

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't think so. Even the magic resistance on Sanctuary RW AFAIK applies only to magic damage as in Bone Spear and Berserk. Magic Damage Reduced by X (e.g. Vipermagi), though, applies to all magic and elemental attacks.

NeckRomancer

Diabloii.Net Member
Forcefeedback said:
Huh, but are the Wailing beast's demons too?
They're classified as Animals IIRC.

edit:
Oh here it is, from the Arreat Summit:

Monster Type
Monsters are either Demons, Undead or Animals. Any monster that doesn't say Demon or Undead is considered Animal.

HBeachBabe

Diabloii.Net Member
the term "magic damage" unfortunately means different things depending on where it is used. for skills, it is one of six damage types (fire, cold, lightning, poison, physical & magic). For immunities, it is the same - an immunity to that one type of damage. For items that say "magic damage reduced by" that applies to fire, cold, lightning & magic damage.

adeadrat

Diabloii.Net Member
Forcefeedback said:
Huh, but are the Wailing beast's demons too?
no they are animals iirc

of course blizzard makes things confusing by making "magic damage reduced by x" apply to elemental and magic damage.