Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Monster levels/what level for hell?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Lyndis, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

Monster levels/what level for hell?

I'm looking for information on where to look up the mlevel of eveyr monster in the game. Certain mods and properties and items have a level requirement and so only monsters of a certain level or above can drop them right? I want to figure out what monsters can drop what so I know who to kill for decent gear.

Second question: Is level 70 too early to go into Hell? My merc died instantly in blood moor (granted he is using storebought armor and helm)

2. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

On normal, the monsters use their natural mlvl, which can be found at http://www.d2data.net. On Nightmare and Hell though, they'll use the area level, so don't use d2data.net for that information. Instead, check out http://forums.diabloii.net/showpost.php?p=2231212&postcount=6 for the area levels.

There are some exceptions to this rule though. Act bosses use their own mlvl, and therefore can also be found on d2data.net. Some superuniques use their own mlvl + 3, while others use the area level + 3. This all depends on whether or not they are flagged as a boss, and there's no real easy way to check that, unless you have access to monstats.txt. For example, Pindleskin isn't marked as a boss, and therefore using the area level + 3 for his mlvl on NM and Hell. Nith on the other hand, is marked as a boss, and therefore uses his own mlvl + 3.

Even knowing the mlvl of the monster isn't enough for alot of things. To determine the affix level (and subsequently what prefixes and suffixes are available to an item) you would need to know the quality level of the item that dropped. Likewise, you would need to also know the quality level of the unique or set in order to determine whether it is capable of dropping from a certain monster. Finally, you would need to have access to the treasure classes for each monster to see what base items they can drop, which isn't really determined by their mlvl.

If you just want to know the best place to find certain items, you could download ATMA and use it's inbuilt drop calc instead of doing all the calcs yourself (http://atma.diabloii.net)

That would depend on the build, but level 70 isn't too bad for Hell difficulty. Act 1 is probably going to be abit of a wakeup call, but generally once you get into the pace of things it should be right.

3. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

thanks for the advice. I'm new to D2 and my first char is a meteorb sorc. Only got around 450 life after all of my charms and +life gear. 2, 3 hits can kill me :( Merc doesn't last much longer.

4. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

What's your stat points setup look like? It sounds like you need more in vitality.

5. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

natural stats
    95 str
    215 dex
    80 vit
    45 energy

6. gorash

gorash IncGamers Member

seems like u have way too much dex. what shield are u using? if using spirit monarch, DONT max block as it'll require way too much. only pump dex to 75% block if using ss (stormshield)

7. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

I don't have the runes to make a spirit monarch anyways. Nor do I have enough str to wear a monarch since my gear gives veyr little in the way of stats. I'm hoping to find a visceratuant or Moser's shield with the Nightmare meph running I'm doing.

8. gorash

gorash IncGamers Member

oops i should have known that u didn't have 156 str.....

sorcs are quite fragile and therefore max'ing block isn't really necessary unless using certain shields. pumping as much into vit is quite important.

9. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

But sorcs only get 2 life per vitality right? Isn't is better to pump into block since I've alreayd invested so much into block?

10. Evrae Altana

What shield are you currently using right now?

11. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

Ancient's pledge Tower shield. already got like 64% block rate on it. I think Mosers will bring me up to 75%.

12. RequiemDeath

RequiemDeath IncGamers Member

Life is the way to go... After that, your damage reduction and defence will make things a lot easier for you... Getting over one thousand health at least is really a must... There are shields avalible that make attaining max block so much easier... Storm Shield is one, Mousers is another... I use Gerke's Sanctuary Passive... 74% block, and huge damage/magic damage reductions... Not to mention the resistance... Pop a perfect diamond in there, and your set!

As for your merc, I'd recomend Duress in a really high defence armor... Ethereal if you can swing it... Resistance, and crushing blow... Nuff said... Beyond that, ethereal weapons with high damage and nice mods is the way to go... Just keep at it, you'll get it! Pump vita!!!

*Requiem_Death

13. RequiemDeath

Life is the way to go... After that, your damage reduction and defence will make things a lot easier for you... Getting over one thousand health at least is really a must... There are shields avalible that make attaining max block so much easier... Storm Shield is one, Mousers is another... I use Gerke's Sanctuary Passive... 74% block, and huge damage/magic damage reductions... Not to mention the resistance... Pop a perfect diamond in there, and your set!

As for your merc, I'd recomend Duress in a really high defence armor... Ethereal if you can swing it... Resistance, and crushing blow... Nuff said... Beyond that, ethereal weapons with high damage and nice mods is the way to go... Just keep at it, you'll get it! Pump vita!!!

*Requiem_Death

14. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

Problem is, I don't have any of those things :( I already killed Baal so I can't even see NM games anymore to do 8 player Meph runs. With my equipment I think Hell meph runs are out of the questions (not that I'm there yet) so should I just do a million NM meph runs and hope for something decent?

15. royalhu

royalhu IncGamers Member

16. Evrae Altana

At this point, I would stop investing in dex, and stick points into vita. Your life really needs a boost. Try to buy yourself some 16-19 life SCs. You'd be surprised as to how cheap they are compared to the perfect 20 life ones.

17. fahartle

fahartle IncGamers Member

Hey! I remember your earlier post about the shield. Whew, building your first character can be a frustrating experience. Don't get discouraged! You've still got plenty of time to build a great sorc, one that can certainly run some nice nightmare Meph mf runs, and you'd be a killer rusher for others in normal and nightmare (that's not a bad way at all to pick up Pgems and runes that you can trade for gear ^_^).

Would you mind posting the whole specs of your build? What merc are you using and what's his equipment? What's your gear look like and what are your resists? Resistance is crucial in hell, without a doubt.

The good news is that you're only at level 70, so you'll have 20 levels or so to improve your sorc, not counting all the quest rewards. And feel free to post a request in the community forums for some help through certain quests. Once you finish off hell and can run some hell baal runs, you'll advance your character quickly.

I would definitely hold back on the dex for the time being. You're going to want a better shield than mosers as your "end" gear, since it only gives you 57% block (http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=254070 - that's a great thread for your build, by the way). The dex you have right now will be plenty with visceratuant, gerkes, or (the best for your build if you don't want a spirit) stormshield (but the strength might be out of bounds at this point). I think with a few gear switches, you can get your sorc really playable! There's certainly nothing wrong with jumping into large public baal games in nightmare and just collecting all those yummy gems and runes to trade for a bit better gear. Tell us what you're using and we'll be glad to help!

18. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

Gerke's is nice, but I won't ever get the strength to wear it I don't think :(

As for Visceratuant, won't it be extremely lacking in resists?

I'll post my specs tomorrow. Need to sleep soon :) But suffice to say I'm still using storebought gear sometimes.

19. Evrae Altana

If you find a Visceratuant and want to use it, you can socket a PDiamond in it for +19 resist all.

20. RequiemDeath

That's why I use Enigma on my sorc... More strength, plus better magic find... My base strength isn't even enough to equip a Storm Shield... Enigma makes it happen though, and with every level, I get more magic find! :jig:

*Requiem_Death