Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

monster body size?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by whomhead, Feb 7, 2004.

1. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

monster body size?

so i've been playing my hammerdin, and i've noticed that some monsters are ridiculously hard to hit with the hammers, while others seem to fall over dead if they even hear a hammer in their general vicinity. so i was wondering if there is a "monster-radius size" for each monster in the game. for example, skeleton mages seem to have a very small radius because whenever i try to hit them i have to aim my hammers perfectly or they are unaffected, whereas for gloams and horadric mummies i just run up near them and if they are anywhere close to a hammer, they're dead. anyone else noticed this?

2. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

I have noticed quite similar things, but the hard ones for me are those gloams. I just can't hit em. Almost everything else is easily killed with hammers

3. Ravenforce3

Ravenforce3 IncGamers Member

If you think about it, that sounds reasonable. Consider that skeletons are just bones. They don't have the luxury of flesh, therefore they are harder to hit. Same thing goes for Imps and Flayers due to their small size.

At least, this seems logical to me. I notice that I do hit skeletons less often than, say, Brutes or Crush Beasts.

4. Vorbiss

Vorbiss IncGamers Member

It's called "monster size" and thetre are 3 categories I believe, Large(act bosses, and other fat monsters), medium and small. :)

5. Vex_Nemox

Vex_Nemox IncGamers Member

Knockback is also effected by monster size if I am not mistaken.

6. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

..and Molten Boulders.

7. Vorbiss

Vorbiss IncGamers Member

Not only that, bit some skills like Blizzard, for example, are greatly affected by the monster size. Large monsters can take up to 3 Blizz shards at a time IIRC! :) Also, if you are very close to a largemonster with Charged Boltress, all your bolts will hit it, resulting in 5 sec Meph killing in Hell, I've seen movie of this! :flip:

8. Heartless_Lich

Heartless_Lich IncGamers Member

Damn, I killed meph in 11 secs with a charged boltress ><... But yes, it does have a lot do with it. Take a fire elementalist druid for example. If they're pure and have all their fire skills maxed, firestorm is their strongest skill vs. bosses...Surprisingly it's a lot more effective than Volcano o_O!

Then there's the charged bolt sins :). That's 55 bolts per second (if you put five and they have shock web at lvl 18), which is even better than a lets say 30 CB's from a sorc ;).

Trust me, your hammers are most likely hitting the gloams...I get fooled and confused to see if I hit them also but they really are! It's just the fact that sometimes there are so many gloams swarming around waiting to see your corpse lying on the ground, and the fact that when they move they're invisible. So you're most likely killing some gloams, but there's too much animation blocking the time you'd take to see one die, so...

Though...there are actually some exceptions with the sizes. Take Cave Leapers for example. But one question: Is it me or are they large :s? I know that they have an inherent "extremely extremely small" mod that makes it so that a fly can knock them back, but everytime I throw a boulder at them, it just explodes. So, I was thinking before 'It's prolly just some object that got in the way, or maybe I forgot I casted it at a distance so it's exploded now'. To be sure, for about 2 hours I was just waiting in Act 2 and Act 4, just waiting for a nice clean open spot for one to come. No merc, no bear, no wolves, just me and my 8k boulder :p.

Finally! I found an open spot. Fire the boulder. Hits the leaper...
    And explodes :s.

I'm seriously confused by that. Other people usually dont have them explode when they fire them. Is there something I'm doing wrong?