Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Monk Resource

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Chorkstain, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Chorkstain

Chorkstain IncGamers Member

Monk Resource

I call it 'White Mana'.

It's pretty simple. Works like mana, but regenerates quickly, and depletes not only from using attacks but from getting hit.

2. trashX

trashX IncGamers Member

Re: Monk Resource

stupid name stupid idea. sorry but it's true. All you did was take mana then change it for the worse.

3. Chorkstain

Hmm, a convincing argument, but I'm pretty sure White Mana is the best idea ever. I wouldn't actually call it White Mana, White Mana is just a code name.

4. Atech

Atech IncGamers Member

Very bad idea. You get surrounded and take some hits BAM you are deadlocked, cannot use your skills and you die.

5. KLS

KLS IncGamers Member

Already posted it on battle.net forums, but it seems that ppls in that thread are just go completely off-topic and start flaming about how different resource's in D3 may kill items flexibility...

So, here it is, my few words about Monk resource system: Chi, Ki, Bi - call it as you wish for now ^))
    My thoughts on its possible mechanics:
    1. Meditation - most likely this kind of system will be slow and not good for D3 fast paced combat style
    2. Concentration - nice word but dunno how it could actually work thou)

Now most funny and wierd 1 :)
    3. Mechanic that is built around the idea of their belief in 1001 gods. it gives you energy depending of what kind of god you got favour at the moment. For example:

* god of tranquillity - minor energy regeneration when out of combat

* god of war - normal energy regeneration when in combat

* god of death - +energy for each killed monster

* and so on :) ...

It sound quite fun, unique and deep! and no, there's no need to include all 1001 gods) 5-10 will be more then enough))) ... not all of the gods can be able to restore energy, so its ok lore-wise 2))

What do you ppls think about this kind of idea?

6. Chorkstain

Yep. Well I already thought of that problem, however think about it this way:

They wanted to encourage the Monk to be a hit and run styled fighter, right? So if you start taking hits, it's time to get out of the way. It's really your own fault if you take 5 or 6 hits in quick succession. Since this resource regenerates quickly, if you simply back off for a few seconds to get your bearings, you can take the fight from a different angle. Sure you're screwed if you get in the thick of it and take too many hits, but it would certainly encourage the type of gameplay they're going for.

And that's the whole point behind these new resource systems, to promote new playing styles for each of the classes. They didn't just slap on a new resource to the Barbarian and call it 'Fury', they actually considered the playstyle of their character and designed an energy system to complement it.

Simply coming up with pretty ideas like 'Yin and Yang' or '1001 gods' doesn't cut it because the way they were conceived had nothing to do with character gameplay philosophy.

Edit:

It would be nice if you were less vague about these systems. Meditation and Concentration aside (whatever they were) how do you change between Gods in-game? Even if you just toggled it, I can't help but feel it would be a bit too elaborate to change between them in-game. And again, how does this mana system relate to the Monk's playing style?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  7. sicyo

sicyo IncGamers Member

How about naming the resource Spiritual Juice.

I still think they'll probably go with something like Chi because it just fits.

8. Chorkstain

Equilibrium sounds reasonable and makes sense.

9. LaZeR

LaZeR IncGamers Member

This is quite similar to what I have in mind:
    Having no "Mana" Resource, but rather 2 bulbs of Health (It actually fits Lore-wise too as some religious mortification).

I don't think this is stupid. It encourges the Hit n Run play of the Monk as a fragile char and definetly makes him the most challanging char for experianced players.

10. RWHEEZY

RWHEEZY IncGamers Member

I'd imagine that would make the monk more annoying than challenging to play. Even the sin in D2 could go to toe to with mobs albeit not as LONG as the barb. But if you are talking about hitting then running away then hitting that's just....annoying to play. Diablo encourages fast paced DPS and the monk should play with HIGH DPS to make short battles. Having a resource system that encourages players to hit then run away in a fast-paced game like Diablo IMO will be more frustrating than challenging for players. It's like the GW sin, where players were so turned off by the play mechanic that they went to regular 'ole warriors instead.

11. LaZeR

LaZeR IncGamers Member

Well, not simplay Hit n Run.
    What I meant was a far more stratigic play. Unlike the Barb (which should be totally different playstle from the Monk as the 2nd Melee char), you CAN'T tank tons of enemies. You have to fight wisely and carefully- Divide foes, lure foes, Hit n Run. You don't run mindlessly into a group of mobs, but rather think how you're going to attack.

The main concept is that brains (aka stragety)>brawns.
    'Cause if it's just fast mid dmg attack instead of slow big dmg attacks it's simply the Barb 2.0

12. Telzen

Telzen IncGamers Member

I like OPs idea. Would hits always take a percentage of your resource or would your resource increase over time allowing you to take more hits? And I guess the more you are hit for the more it takes. If a percentage then there could be a passive that lowers how much you lose per hit. Or a passive where when you pick up a health globe you get a certain amount of time that hits take less or your resource.

13. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

I see the monk like I do the sin. She can't afk in a mob the way a barb (heck, even a 20+K def pally) can. However, being surrounded definitely did not mean certain death. The Monk will have his own way of releaving pressure. Crippling Wave already looks promising, and since it seems SSS makes things just stand there (temp invulnerable/untargetable?), that could be a quick escape plan. That and Inner Sanc.

I think even his combo moves will allow some kind of fighting in a mob, but the char itself won't be designed to tank, no. At least, this is how he seems so far. More skills / passives might make him have damage reduce somewhere along the way.

*crosses fingers*

14. Atech

Atech IncGamers Member

I thought this again and imo it might work if you make it like this: The "juice" would regenerate very fast naturally. When you get hit the regen speed would only slow down a bit, but would not deplete your juice meter.

Basically if you do not get hit, you could spam your combos with impunity and use your visage spells and skills. If you get hit you would still be able to act, but you would have to conserve your skills a bit and you could always back up for a moment or do not take more hits and your meter would start to pump fast again.

Perhaps 3 regen speeds? Very fast when not being hit. Slowed down if you take 1 hit, and more slowed if you take a big hit/lots of hits.

Kind of like reverse Barbarian rage, while Barbarian is more powerful if he is taking hits, the Monk would be most powerful when not being hit.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  15. LaZeR

LaZeR IncGamers Member

I don't see how this contradicts having a Health Resource.

P.S- "SSS" as a short for Seven Sided Strike is amazing ^^ Never seen this.

16. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

It was more of a "quoted for truth" thing. Yeah, the monk can't afk in a mob, but even surrounding him with a mob won't kill him, if that makes any sense :p

And SSS is pretty much everywhere in the Monk forum.

17. Jinky Williams

Jinky Williams IncGamers Member

I like the description that goes along with "White Mana"; but I feel like the whole "equilibrium/chi"-type naming convention is better suited.

The theory that maybe the bar doesn't refill as quickly if you are hit (only .5 recharge rate for x seconds after a hit [as a for instance; I am only throwing numbers out as a reference, not as suggestions]) would allow for the type of smart CQB that the monk seems to be developed for. He'd be like Tony Jaa; blazing hands and feet and knees and elbows, but a bullet can still drop him. He's just really good at not being hit.

So, a resource type that promotes and rewards intelligent, relatively high-micro melee gameplay would make the fast and fragile monk feel totally different than the man-mountain that is the barbarian.

Lore-wise, it seems to make sense to me that a monk's concentration would be dented the more he was hit. Obviously he would still be able to fight, but not as well as when he is "in the groove". So, more attention paid to the specifics of your immediate surrounding = the player being rewarded for their attentiveness in the form of being able to do more DPS because of a faster-filling bar. It might be a relatively small amount (compared to mana, perhaps), but it fills up much quicker. This would reflect the margin for error being considerably less for the monk than a wizard, the former having to be within striking distance of the enemies instead of being a bit more removed, as in the case of latter.