Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

moniter help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by black_death6, Apr 10, 2005.

1. black_death6

black_death6 IncGamers Member

moniter help

hello,

I am in need of help from all you smart people out there. i've decided to get a new moniter.
    I'm most likely just goin to be using it for games(guild wars, and maybe some shooters) so i'm not sure which is better lcd or crt, i heared LCD's have better picture, but is it really that much better?

i've been looking at these following:
    LCD
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1289175&CatId=167

CRT
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=876171&CatId=169

CRT
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=85390&CatId=172

but i want to use 2 moniters, the problem is i have 1 normal slot and 1 DVI slot, can i just get an adapter? will it run fine?

I also heared that DVI runs better is this true?

thanks in advanced
    PS: i chose this otf because the GW isn't as populated, i used to post here.

EDIT:I use a ATI radeon 9600 xt. If that helps.

2. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

Well I bought that Scanport for my wife...I really like it. I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy me one soon as well. I recommend it mucho.

3. SilentMagik

SilentMagik IncGamers Member

I'd definatly get an LCD if I where you. They cause less strain on your eyes and doesnt hog your desk like a big crt does. Just make sure you get one with reasonably low latency if you're going to use it for gaming.

Heres a link with some tests if you like: http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20041123/index.html

Yes there are adapters and it should work fine (assuming the gfx card and driver support dual monitors). I used to do this on my old gfx card. I also heard DVI is supposed to be better than standard VGA but I dont really know in what way exactly.

4. black_death6

The lower latency ones are way out of my price range (12ms), and sofar by the looks of it i'm leaning towards the CRT's. So anymore info would be greatly apreciated.

PS:my eyes suck anyways, can they get that much worse?

5. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Unfortunately the dvi to vga adapter costs like $18 from ATI. Its an unholy rip off.

6. toader

toader Banned

Heres my advice.

If you cant afford a lower reponse time LCD (12ms or below, MAYBE 16ms), then just put off buying one until you can.

You can get a VERY nice 19" flat CRT monitor for the costs of some of those crappy LCD ones.

Trust me on this one if you game.

I got this one for my birthday a couple weeks ago:

Samsung 915N, 19" LCD, 8ms Response

Im amazed at the price jump its taken since then...it was only $380 when I got it.

p.s. let me offer another buying tip Ive recently come accross in the last few months. ALWAYS ALWAYS check www.bottomdollar.com once you find a product you like. It searches hundreds of internet selling sites and finds the cheapest available.

For example (I did a search on your 3 monitors):

17" LCD:
    Your Price (including rebate): $227
    Price found on BD.com: $206

19" CRT:
    Your Price: $203
    Price found on BD.com: $150

21" CRT:
    Your Price (including rebate): $217
    Price found on BD.com: *Note* Model you linked was a refurbished House Brand, so I couldnt do an exact model # look-up. But, I did do a search for 21" CRT and found another refurcished one for $185

Anyways...just something to keep in mind: Always check www.bottomdollar.com and www.newegg.com

edit: just realized those prices originally posted were canadian. i figured the US had taken them over by now and assimilated them.....guess not.

7. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

My Dad has one of those, it's nice. Get it.

8. masterazn

masterazn Banned

That's like Homer when he buys Marge the bowling ball..hehe..

9. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

Good episode.

10. black_death6

Why is that such a rip off? Anyways, does anyone know if a ATI rRadeon 9600 XT can suport 2 moniters, i know it has 2 port (2 differnt ports) but can it suport it?

11. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

Isn't there such a thing as cables you can buy that yo can hook up your computer up to your TV, to where your TV is the monitor? That'd be pretty dope if that happened.

12. black_death6

Yea there is, but i dont think it would look that great on my TV.

edit: wow, are you on a posting spree? last time i looked you were at 110.

13. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

I have an ATI Raedon 9600 and it supports two lcds just fine. And the adapter is a rip-off because they are the only people who sell it and can charge whatever they want.

14. kryo

kryo IncGamers Member

My Radeon 9600 XT came with a VGA adapter for the DVI port, as well as an s-video/composite splitter cable. I could merrily run two monitors and a TV (don't think you can run a TV on both ends of the splitter at once, and even if you could they'd both show the same thing anyway), if I so desired.

If you go for the LCDs, just get ones that have both DVI and VGA inputs and you'll be fine. DVI is preferable, as the signal experiences loss and blurring when converted from Digital form (in the video card) to Analog (through the VGA cable) and back to Digital again (for the LCD). With DVI, it stays digital the whole way so every pixel looks exactly like it's supposed to.