Mods

Toetag

Diabloii.Net Member
Mods

I played the Diablos for several years before moving on. When I picked up WoW, it was my first introduction to mods. Blizz actually endorsed the using of mods. Anything that would make the game more enjoyable and user friendly without being a cheat was good with them.

With all the years of playing Diablo 1 and 2, I never used a mod or even knew if they were available. First off, were they available? And if so, do you think they will be available for D3?

I love the thought of dressing up the HUD. Aggro meters, mana/health meters. Inventory mods. They were great to use.

TOE

FriskyDingo

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Mods

Diablo two had tons of mods and Blizzard did not care much..
Diablo 3 however they said they will give no mod support and with the way things are set up now.. I would imagine even attempting to mod will get a ban.

In the name of Zod

Diabloii.Net Member

You can't stop mods. If a game is good enough it will attract people to build software for modding the game if it does not already exist. Since all current games made by blizzard get modded one way or another it doesn't require Einstein to declare that it is inevitable that D3 will receive its fair share of attention from the modding community.

Most mods for D2 were used exclusively by the single player community. A number of mods for D2 became mainstream while other where fringe.

Be warned, sometimes a hack when first released can be called a mod.

Glass

Diabloii.Net Member

No doubt people will come up with singleplayer, offline mods.

The only problem will be if Diablo 3's singleplayer works the same way as Starcraft II's in which case you are still connected to Battle.net and able to unlock achievements (which are linked in your multiplayer account).

You can play singleplayer in offline mode, but people don't, use cheats in a singleplayer (but still online) environment, get banned and cry about it.

Risingred

Diabloii.Net Member

No doubt people will come up with singleplayer, offline mods.

The only problem will be if Diablo 3's singleplayer works the same way as Starcraft II's in which case you are still connected to Battle.net and able to unlock achievements (which are linked in your multiplayer account).

You can play singleplayer in offline mode, but people don't, use cheats in a singleplayer (but still online) environment, get banned and cry about it.
Those people were not banned for cheating or modding in single-player.
It didn't really work in D2 because it was often tedious to switch the game client back to its original state so you could play on bnet without getting banned, and there was no support to play the really good mods (a la Laz's opus) with others outside of LAN.