Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Modern conc barb pvper?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by wooginator, Jun 28, 2010.

1. wooginator

wooginator IncGamers Member

Modern conc barb pvper?

I've been thinking about making a pvp, largely bvb or bvm, conc barb, but all the guides I find seem outdated and totally ignore ladder only items. So I thought I'd propose a guide and look for gear suggestions and criticisms:

Skills:

20 conc
    20 bo
    20 shout
    20 weapon mastery
    1 point in utility skills (nat res, increased speed, bc)
    remaining points in Iron Skin

Gear:

Eth upped zod'd arreats
    Rends
    Upped gores
    Eth glitched fort (it will wear out, but very very slowly)
    Dungos
    Angelics
    SS, possibly a cham'd ss to allow for two angelic rings

Weapon: I'm torn between grief zerker for that +3 range and grief pb for a 9 frame attack. To achieve a 9 frame attack with a zerker you need 125 total ias, vs 42 for a pb. Is that +1 extra range worth it?

Also, is a ww hybrid a must? I'd rather not since that's pretty universally THE pvp barb skill, and I like to stay away from what everyone else is doing.

Edit: FYI, with ideal gear but not sacrificing usefulness for defense (i.e. etreks instead of upped gores), at level 99, you can get 78k defense while using conc and that's without defense charms, assuming 203 dex for max block with eld'd ss. That means that a ww barb with 30k attack rating, on the high end for a ww barb (I think), has a 26% chance to hit you before max block is applied and a 6% chance once it's been factored in.

Edit: Interesting sidenote, the defense bonus lasts only the duration of the attack, so if you attack slower you have the downside of a slower attack but the upside of a longer-lasting defense bonus. I like to stick to a 10 frame attack as a nice compromise between the two, also since it's achievable with only the ias from a grief pb and no non-weapon ias. But if you wanted to for some reason you could use no ias and a warpike or great maul or whatever and get almost a full second of enhanced defense.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. Barloc

Barloc IncGamers Member

Re: Modern conc barb pvper?

For PvP overall? yes WW is a must.

3. vknez

vknez IncGamers Member

it will work for melee only duels, since ww and smite are not exactly melee, so you can go pure conc

4. wooginator

Alright, but which is better, the grief pb or the grief zerker? I can't decide. Range vs speed.

5. vknez

vknez IncGamers Member

i will use pb.
    why treks? concentrate is uninteruptable attack

6. wooginator

The only reason to use treks would be that they offer the highest defense of any boots, but gores are vastly superior.

7. AFew

AFew IncGamers Member

What's mod on charms would be more useful? Obviously max/AR/life but should it be more focused on 20 life mod or higher AR and settling for 16-19 life.

8. wooginator

Well I can't afford...any of those charms, even if they were 3/15/16 or whatever. But so I actually made this character and he works great so far. I love him. He even does alright against smiters because his attack is uninterruptible. Ww barbs basically can't touch him, he's got 47k defense while attacking and 30k otherwise, but gear is imperfect. He hits pretty hard and the uninterruptible attack is a really big bonus against zealots and ww barbs and the like, when they can hit me. I really recommend it for a lot of fun, but have a back-up character to deal with bming casters. Or maybe a stashed enigma and alternate gear. I haven't toyed around with that at all though.

9. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

I hear eth fort build all the time. Use it until its almost worn out and put it on merc. Just get non eth fort dont worry so much about defense. Ed jewel in 6 ll arreats>eth zod arreats.